Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I activated the Honda Link app on my iPhone and its pretty neat. It'll come in handy in the winter here in MI when we'll need to pre-heat it before my wife drives it to work.

But the odometer mileage figure doesn't update on the fly. It seems to be a day or two behind the curve. I hit "refresh" and it does not update like the rest of the figures on the page. Anyone else seeing this?

Dayle

·
Registered
699 Posts
But the odometer mileage figure doesn't update on the fly. It seems to be a day or two behind the curve. I hit "refresh" and it does not update like the rest of the figures on the page. Anyone else seeing this?

Dayle
That's how it works, which makes it pretty useless. The problem is that the odometer data is transmitted directly to your phone by Bluetooth. Unlike charging status and range information which is sent via the cellular network to the Honda server every time that you shut off the car (and some other times like starting and ending charging). The HondaLink app then gets that data from the Honda server via the Internet. That's why you can get charge status when you are nowhere near your car, because the car has already reported that data to the Honda server, and your phone is accessing that data via standard Internet. Same with climate status and find my car, all of that data is transmitted by the cellular network to the Honda server.

Odometer for some reason goes the Bluetooth route instead, and for some reason HondaLink seems to have trouble using the Bluetooth connection. You can see this when you open HondaLink while sitting in your car, HondaLink attempts to connect but often either takes a very long time to connect, or doesn't connect at all. Even though other Bluetooth functions on the phone are working. With my phone the Bluetooth connection is always working for phone calls, media, etc. I can't think of a time when it has never worked. Whereas HondaLink app has trouble using the Bluetooth connection more often than not, which indicates a poor design in that part of the program. But it only uses Bluetooth for odometer, which I can live without, so I never bother trying to get HondaLink to connect by Bluetooth.

The refresh function by the way doesn't really do anything, it's just refreshing the page in case some data has changed since you opened the app.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts