Honda Clarity Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the local Honda dealers and I am recognizing that all of them have about six 2018 Clarity cars in inventory.

First, I was curious on when the 2019 Clarity was put to the market. Secondly, why would the 2018’s not sell over the 2019 models - it seems to me that if there is no differences in the cars, they would easily sell at a minor discount over the 2019 models. Third, any thoughts about what’s going on with Honda for the Clarity in 2020? It seems like the primary compliant of lumbar support and entertainment system could easily be addressed in a mid production update.

I did a True Car search, the dealers discounting now though the Clarity is moving, they don’t seem to be flying of off the shelves without help.

I will not be specific but knowing the current discount levels. I am wondering if I should trade and move into the Clarity today or see what happens to the Clarity in 2020. I am not in immediate need for car today and can afford to wait — I’m just one to pass up a good deal.

— Rene

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
The 2018 that had great deals (Dealer Discount) all went away in Jan/Feb.
Since then the 2018 deals have become less attractive.

The ones that are left over usually means the dealer is hanging onto them for some reason and will not deal as well.
My dealer blew thru all 2018 by the end of February but that's because they are a super high volume Honda dealer....

Not knowing which state you are in - makes a huge difference in applying Honda incentives...
The 2018 are currently in CA: $7900 Honda incentive (lease) plus $2500 Dealer discount is a super good deal if you can find a dealer willing to make the deal.
The 2019 are currently in CA: $6000 incentive (lease or finance) plus around $1500 Dealer discount.

I don't see a mid cycle refresh for the Clarity in the next few years as the model is not a hot seller.
Japanese cars seem to the slowest when it comes to a life cycle impulse....

I am not bothered by the lack of lumbar support, infotainment issues, and no sunroof on my Clarity - I use it as a commute car.
The Base trim was perfect as no one else drives the car and don't need the seat memory, leather, nav, etc....

My other ICE car has all those higher end features for the family drives, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The midwest was finally included for some honda incentives. I was stuck at 31,600 for about a month until this past weekend all the dealerships in MN cut their prices. Was able to get a base for 29k. Still not as good as the west coast deals but good for flyover country.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The midwest was finally included for some honda incentives. I was stuck at 31,600 for about a month until this past weekend all the dealerships in MN cut their prices. Was able to get a base for 29k. Still not as good as the west coast deals but good for flyover country.
What kind of incentives or price cuts did MN dealerships make?

·
Registered
195 Posts
There's a 2018 in the trim and color I want sitting on the lot at the largest Honda dealership in my state. It's been sitting there for 450 days and its price has remained unchanged for that entire time: This is not an EV-friendly state so no incentives of any kind, not even "I'll cut you a break to get the d**ned thing off the lot!"

·
Registered
74 Posts
Kerbe

As you may be aware...a PHEV vehicle sitting in a lot for many months can be problematic...I stress can be.

The problem comes about if the traction battery has not been kept at least partially charged. LION batteries don't do well if left in the elements uncharged for extended periods

To check the health of the traction battery (not the 12 volt)...tell the dealership any potential sale is dependent on the vehicle passing a properly administered Battery Capacity Test (BCT)

For the Clarity PHEV...the BCT should show the battery is close to 55 amh ..or there about. The further below 55 the BCT reveals...the higher degree of probability the battery is not in good shape.

53,54,55 you're probably ok. Get below 50 into the 40's...red flag.

And your right...even if BCT is ok...a sizeable price reduction is called for.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback, I have been looking at the Clarity for a while. I guess I can do without the Sunroof or Lumbar, it’s just been a while since I have owned a car without those two features. I was considering it my daily driver to replace my 2017 Accord Hybrid Touring (low miles and still serving me well). My “other car” is a 42-mpg motorcycle.

The math works. I would like to be EV most of the time, but otherwise it’s a lateral move with less miles on the odometer. Undecided, may pass and see what comes in 2020.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think there are two main reasons for the Clarity's lack of a sunroof... 1) Sunroofs are not that popular in Japan, 2) the weight savings was significant.

For myself, I've owned quite a few cars with sunroofs and hardly ever used them. They were just more maintenance, keeping the rails lubricated and keeping the seals protected with 303 Protectant.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thank you - I do understand what you said. I sat in the vehicle a month ago (it's up on plinth in front of the dealership, surrounded by SUVs) and, at that time, the traction battery was fully charged. The demo vehicle had only 2 bars showing and the salesman who went with me on the drive knew NOTHING about the car - he even asked why I'd want "one of these when the Insight gets better mileage"...

I'm not very attractive to dealers: My current lease is up in mid-August and I lease - so no way am I going to drive out of the dealership TODAY in a new car.

They seem to have no interest in dealing as every 2018 Clarity they have hasn't sold: They want to make back their initial investment and still turn a profit and would rather have the cars rot on the lot than not make every dollar they can. Pretty shabby tactic, I think, and I doubt they'll be ordering any 2019 models...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I purchased my Clarity from a dealer twice as far from my home than the local one. The reason was when I went in for the "scheduled" test drive the battery was depleted and the salesman told me it would charge itself as we drove. I complained to the manager and he said that it was the first year for the car and it was understandable that his salesmen weren't up to speed yet. I told him the car was available since 2017 and that I was test driving a 2018 model. He didn't know what to say. I left and went to a dealer who actually wanted to sell cars. Unfortunately my driving distance for service doubled.

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
I purchased my Clarity from a dealer twice as far from my home than the local one. The reason was when I went in for the "scheduled" test drive the battery was depleted and the salesman told me it would charge itself as we drove. I complained to the manager and he said that it was the first year for the car and it was understandable that his salesmen weren't up to speed yet. I told him the car was available since 2017 and that I was test driving a 2018 model. He didn't know what to say. I left and went to a dealer who actually wanted to sell cars. Unfortunately my driving distance for service doubled.
Yes, same here - drove 30 miles to get to a Honda dealer that would play ball.
Passed 4 closer dealers just to get to the deal I wanted.

Still can't believe some of these "old fashioned" dealers still have 2018 in stock - they no longer have support from the manufacturer so I don't know how they will move them off the lot since the 2019 have a $6K incentive on them....:crying:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts