Honda Clarity Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!
I purchased my clarity PHEV touring July 2018. I have 4000 miles of trouble free ownership to date. Looking forward to learning more about the car as a result of this forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
New Clarity Plug-in Touring Owner in Tucson

I just bought my Clarity at end of December, 2018. I have put on 850 miles so far. All of it using EV mode. Haven't used any gasreally. It did go into Hrbtid mode once when I ran out of Battery on about a 50 mile round trip. Maybe I used 1/4 gallon. No sure.

I am retired and expect to do mostly local in town quick trips.

Questions:

1) How often should I use gas in Hybrid mode to just exercise engine and use some gas? Should I put some gas additive in to preserve the gas from getting stale?

2) How can I tell how much electricity I use to charge the car each day? Someone mentioned some app can do it.

3) I do have extra solar power but in first month, we had cold, rainy weather and my solar output for real low.
Any one else using solar to power plugin? I noticed that 4 of my solar panels are consistently giving me hald the KWH output of the oother 12 panels. I suspect that there is soem shading impacting the solar panel electric genertion. I may try to have them moved.

Fred Dunfey:smile_big:

·
Registered
85 Posts
1) How often should I use gas in Hybrid mode to just exercise engine and use some gas?
*** I believe the on board computer will run the engine when it needs to. No need for you to do anything.

2) How can I tell how much electricity I use to charge the car each day?
*** My Level 2 charger does that. JuiceBox for me, a full charge is roughly 14.6 KWh

3) I do have extra solar power but in first month, we had cold, rainy weather and my solar output for real low.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just bought my Clarity at end of December, 2018. I have put on 850 miles so far. All of it using EV mode. Haven't used any gasreally. It did go into Hrbtid mode once when I ran out of Battery on about a 50 mile round trip. Maybe I used 1/4 gallon. No sure.

I am retired and expect to do mostly local in town quick trips.

Questions:

1) How often should I use gas in Hybrid mode to just exercise engine and use some gas? Should I put some gas additive in to preserve the gas from getting stale?

2) How can I tell how much electricity I use to charge the car each day? Someone mentioned some app can do it.

Any one else using solar to power plugin? I noticed that 4 of my solar panels are consistently giving me hald the KWH output of the oother 12 panels. I suspect that there is soem shading impacting the solar panel electric genertion. I may try to have them moved.

Fred Dunfey:smile_big:
I think a wise thing to do would be to put only 100% gasoline in your tank. It's about .30 to .40 cents per gallon more than e10 in my area. You won't have any of the issues with ethanol sitting long-term.

·
Registered
10 Posts
>>How can I tell how much electricity I use to charge the car each day? Someone mentioned some app can do it.

Since I only use the 110V charger, I bought one of these from Amazon and use the app to monitor electricity use, as well as to shut down the charging during peak pricing periods (3 PM - 8 PM weekdays).

Smart Plug Wifi Outlet Compatible With Alexa, Echo, Google Home and IFTTT, Teckin Mini Smart Socket with Energy Monitoring and Timer Function, No Hub Required, 16A (2 pack)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts