Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Replace the battery. The distance that the keyfob will transmit falls off as the battery depletes. The distance to the door and start button are a lot closer than the trunk to the start button.

·
Registered
2018 PHEV Touring Atlanta, GA
1,090 Posts
Replace the battery. The distance that the keyfob will transmit falls off as the battery depletes. The distance to the door and start button are a lot closer than the trunk to the start button.
I think there is a key sensor in the trunk area also. At least in the Clarity, don't know about the Civic. In fact I think I remember someone saying there are three sensors in total. But still could be a weak fob battery, that would certainly be the easiest thing to try first.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I always have a spare fob in the trunk. I wrap it in tinfoil to block the signal and put the door key somewhere on the outside of the car (behind the license plate if the plate bracket has a small indent). The fob and program isn't cheap, but It's a lot cheaper than having to tow the car to the dealership and pay for the same thing anyway.

·
Registered
2018, Honda, Clarity PHEV Touring
296 Posts
My son got locked out of the Clarity, had put his bag along with the key in the trunk and closed it. I had to bring the spare and unlock it. Betting it's low battery he did not mention any concern probably just starting to get weak...

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hmm...

First I tried the other key:

locked the doors with the remote
put the key in the trunk in the center on the sloped part
closed the trunk after which beeps and pops back open

I left that other key on the outside opposite side of the house where I'm sure the sense would not sense it. I did the same test with his key sans the laptop bag, and it did the exact same thing. Battery not low it seems, maybe shielding like the foil wrap...

·
Registered
296 Posts
A few days ago my son complained that the door did not unlock when touched on occasion. I popped out the battery and measured the voltage with a multimeter compared to a new one.

Old: 3.0x V
New: 3.3x V

I asked if the car warned of a low battery, and he said he didn't think so. I replaced it and so far so good. (I did notice last time I replaced a low battery with warning it was in the 3.0x V range so I told him it's about time to change it anyways)...

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
702 Posts
A few days ago my son complained that the door did not unlock when touched on occasion. I popped out the battery and measured the voltage with a multimeter compared to a new one.

Old: 3.0x V
New: 3.3x V

I asked if the car warned of a low battery, and he said he didn't think so. I replaced it and so far so good. (I did notice last time I replaced a low battery with warning it was in the 3.0x V range so I told him it's about time to change it anyways)...
I finally bit the bullet, and bought the battery tester recommended here (by 2002?). It tests a couple dozen battery types under load. Works like a champ, to identify weak batteries. Pricey, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.