Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m new to the forum and have a 2018 Clarity PHEV and wondering what is the deal with this maximum self- regenerative charge and need to go to a charging station to charge to 100%? The dealer doesn’t know and the Owner’s Manual doesn’t mention how this works so not sure if there is an issue, software upgrade needed or what is up so appreciate any experience, answers or feedback - many thanks, Jeff
Speedometer Vehicle Gauge Steering part Steering wheel

·
Registered
2018 PHEV Touring Atlanta, GA
1,080 Posts
I’m new to the forum and have a 2018 Clarity PHEV and wondering what is the deal with this maximum self- regenerative charge and need to go to a charging station to charge to 100%? The dealer doesn’t know and the Owner’s Manual doesn’t mention how this works so not sure if there is an issue, software upgrade needed or what is up so appreciate any experience, answers or feedback - many thanks, Jeff
There is really no need to charge to 100% using HV Charge. Its primary use is if you will be driving in hills or mountains, it's best to have some battery charge available to supplement the gas engine. Normally that's not a problem as you can simply start out from home with a full charge, and then drive in HV mode as needed to preserve some battery charge for hill driving. But in case you are in a situation where for some reason you have run low on EV miles or completely run out, and you know that you have some hills coming up later in the drive, you can turn on HV Charge and get the battery charged to just over half full, which in most cases is all you need for the hill climbing.

Even if you did wind up getting into hills with an empty battery, it just means the gas engine will be quite a bit noisier during hill climbs because without any battery charge to assist the gas engine has to do all the work of getting the car up the hill. It doesn't harm the gas engine in any way, but most people don't like it when the engine gets loud, and also there would be some loss of performance, which is why you normally try to head into hills with some battery charge.

I'm not sure why HV Charge has a limit of 60%, but it doesn't seem to matter in most cases.

·
Registered
2018, Honda, Clarity PHEV Touring
165 Posts
My son gets free Level 2 charging at his school, but needs to move the car at 4 hours. The first 30 mins at a max amp (for the Clarity) station can get almost 50% battery per meter on the left, (after battery degradation we've had). After 50% or so it takes much longer to fill the remaining 50% than it did the first 50%. It is charging at the same 6 kWh just not filling as fast, as the battery voltage/resistance increases.

We almost never use the HV Charge mode in fact I found the mode by accident. (I know I know I need to read the manual)...

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
548 Posts
My son gets free Level 2 charging at his school, but needs to move the car at 4 hours. The first 30 mins at a max amp (for the Clarity) station can get almost 50% battery per meter on the left, (after battery degradation we've had). After 50% or so it takes much longer to fill the remaining 50% than it did the first 50%. It is charging at the same 6 kWh just not filling as fast, as the battery voltage/resistance increases.

We almost never use the HV Charge mode in fact I found the mode by accident. (I know I know I need to read the manual)...
"It is charging at the same 6 kWh just not filling as fast, as the battery voltage/resistance increases."

That statement confuses me.

·
Registered
2018, Honda, Clarity PHEV Touring
165 Posts
"It is charging at the same 6 kWh just not filling as fast, as the battery voltage/resistance increases."

That statement confuses me.
It seems to take a lot longer the last 50%, roughly 1 hr 20 mins for 2nd half. Maybe 45 mins for first half. Something's making it slower. (When I was still driving my son I would just sit in the car and do stuff like forum hop while I waited for it to charge, then move it when it was done).

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
548 Posts
It seems to take a lot longer the last 50%, roughly 1 hr 20 mins for 2nd half. Maybe 45 mins for first half. Something's making it slower. (When I was still driving my son I would just sit in the car and do stuff like forum hop while I waited for it to charge, then move it when it was done).
I don't doubt it takes longer for the second half. That's very common for battery charging, as the charge rate usually tapers as the battery SOC increases.

I question that your son's Clarity continues to take 6kW (not kWh) throughout the entire charge cycle, as you've indicated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts