Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, just joined a few weeks ago as I am considering the purchase of a Clarity. I would like to get a 2021 new one, but will probably end up with a used Clarity. I did a test drive in a used one about a month or two ago and really liked the concept of a PHEV and liked how the Clarity drove. I also test drove a Bolt, a Volt, and an Ioniq. The Volt was an instant "NO", the Ioniq has a rear vision problem which scares me a bit, and the Bolt was really fun to drive. The Bolt scares me also with the battery fire/recall thing.

Finding a used Clarity is a bit of a challenge for me living in Florida (a non-ZEV state) as there aren't many around. I am considering using a company called Car-Pal to find me one at a reasonable price.

A bit of trivia that some may find interesting. My first (and only so far) exposure to EV's goes back maybe 30 or 35 years ago. There was an enthusiast group that met monthly. I attended a few meetings because I considered making my own EV. Back then they took a VW bug and removed the engine, transmission, and back seat. An electrical jet engine starter motor was installed and a bunch of 12 volt batteries went where the back seat was the end product was a VW bug EV. I never started the project as it required the enthusiast to have auto mechanic skills and tools, although I have been interested in EV's ever since.

· Registered
20 Posts
I had 3 used Clarities in my area to choose from. I took the 2018 Touring. Price was good and it was immaculate. Of course, I'm still in California :rolleyes:. However, I think the Clarity will save me quite a bit even if I move in HV mode to Florida. All my best for you in finding a Clarity. I'm happy with it and it's saving me an absolute fortune in gasoline.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hello, just joined a few weeks ago as I am considering the purchase of a Clarity. I would like to get a 2021 new one, but will probably end up with a used Clarity. I did a test drive in a used one about a month or two ago and really liked the concept of a PHEV and liked how the Clarity drove. I also test drove a Bolt, a Volt, and an Ioniq. The Volt was an instant "NO", the Ioniq has a rear vision problem which scares me a bit, and the Bolt was really fun to drive. The Bolt scares me also with the battery fire/recall thing.

Finding a used Clarity is a bit of a challenge for me living in Florida (a non-ZEV state) as there aren't many around. I am considering using a company called Car-Pal to find me one at a reasonable price.

A bit of trivia that some may find interesting. My first (and only so far) exposure to EV's goes back maybe 30 or 35 years ago. There was an enthusiast group that met monthly. I attended a few meetings because I considered making my own EV. Back then they took a VW bug and removed the engine, transmission, and back seat. An electrical jet engine starter motor was installed and a bunch of 12 volt batteries went where the back seat was the end product was a VW bug EV. I never started the project as it required the enthusiast to have auto mechanic skills and tools, although I have been interested in EV's ever since.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hello. I am in FL too. I was hunting for Clarity online. I used edmunds, cars.com, autotrader, etc. I had to expand my search to nationwide. There were a few new ones in Jacksonville about 2 months ago. 1 in Colorado last month. I went for a used one, I was checking every couple of days and calling dealers to negotiate the price. That was not a fruitful tactic in today’s market but I tried. I pinned a few cars and got notifications when prices dropped. I was in the process of buying 2 but they sold while I did all the work with sales people! All in all, I purchased one. 2018 Honda Certified with under 12k miles on it. I flew to NJ to get it, I found at the dealership that it had a broken passenger mirror (only plastic parts though, mirror works). They didn’t tell me that before so I was mad and was able to negotiate better price. I drove it back to Tampa bay. I’ve had it for 3 weeks now and I love it. I get sometimes over 60 miles of electric range and there are still some free fast chargers in the area. My trip to Orlando and back with some city driving got me 70 miles per gallon! I know it is hard to find but according to me it is worth to go out of your way to get it.

· Registered
222 Posts
there are still some free fast chargers in the area.
The PHEV can't use "fast chargers". Sometimes dealers will tout L2 (240V) as "Fast Charging", but that term actually refers to DC charging (usually 50 kW+ vs the Clarity L2 @ 7.2 kW).
The Clarity Electric (CA and OR only) did have DCFC capability

Speedometer Motor vehicle Fixture Gauge Vehicle

Your PHEV does not have the 2 bottom pins (and associated wiring/electronics) to connect to fast chargers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.