Honda Clarity Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
At 75mph in the mountains I’m getting around 34mpg which would take me around 7.7 hours.
Something's not right. Going across I-70 in Colorado I get better than 40 MPG in HV mode. Speeds range from 65 to 80 MPH.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Recently finished a full tank of gas running exclusively in HV mode; got 50.7 mpg which I think is great for this car. The battery always had some charge from me plugging in each night, so going to try HV again without any battery charge to see what happens.
It's an inflated number since there was always a charge to assist. Try running HV mode with a depleted battery and that's a different story.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Updated MPG

Just completed a "test", operating my Clarity with zero juice in the battery, in HV mode. 266 miles on 6.4 g works out to 41.6 mpg, which I think is great with CT's winter climate and rolling hills. That's pretty good, moving a 2 ton car around for 266 miles, part highway and part secondary roads. EV kicked in whenever it could. :smile_big::smile_big::smile_big:
Interesting, did you deplete your car to zero range or are you calculating miles driven plus remaining miles left over when you filled up. Also how are you measuring the MPG, through the info off the car(which is never accurate) or miles driven divided by gas used?

·
Registered
17 Posts
34 mpg is kind of AWFUL for a Clarity! Most of my driving is on interstate highways at 70-74 mph and I'm averaging 48 mpg in HV mode. On a 1200 mile trip north in October at speeds mostly between 60 and 65 I averaged 46 mpg in HV mode, starting with a full battery and arriving at 2/3 capacity.
That number is artificially high since you have a charge.

·
Registered
464 Posts
That number is artificially high since you have a charge.
Based on my experience, mid-40s for MPG running between 60 and 65 MPH is about right for this car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I drove in EV mode until I had 11 km. range left, than switched to HV+ mode and after driving for 24 km. I’ve got 15 km recuperated. Not bad. Nice rode no hills 85 km/hr. Engine was running smooth and was not noisy.

·
Registered
464 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Did any body have any observations about HV+ mode? How fast you gain EV miles?
There's no easy answer. It depends on how much energy you're using to drive. The more work the electric motor is doing to propel the vehicle, the less energy will be available from the engine to divert to the battery.

When I'm tooling down the highway at 75 mi/hr, IIRC, it seems to take around ten minutes (?) per segment. It's not quick.

You'll need to experiment, using your own driving style.

·
Registered
32 Posts
There's no easy answer. It depends on how much energy you're using to drive. The more work the electric motor is doing to propel the vehicle, the less energy will be available from the engine to divert to the battery.

When I'm tooling down the highway at 75 mi/hr, IIRC, it seems to take around ten minutes (?) per segment. It's not quick.

You'll need to experiment, using your own driving style.
This is what I am trying to figure out. Obviously on a step stretch of the road the input to the battery will be low. On a flat road is a different story. Also the battery has to be depleted below 20%. I think it worths instead of driving on HV mode to use HV+. As I noticed on a flat rode I gained 15 Km driving 24 Km.

·
Registered
265 Posts
This is what I am trying to figure out. Obviously on a step stretch of the road the input to the battery will be low. On a flat road is a different story. Also the battery has to be depleted below 20%. I think it worths instead of driving on HV mode to use HV+. As I noticed on a flat rode I gained 15 Km driving 24 Km.
In my experience, HV+ will work as long as the SOC is less than about 55-60%. When on a road trip, I'll usually drive in EV mode until the SOC is down to about 50%, and then switch to HV. That way, I can then use EV mode (Sport, with max regen) around town. I'll switch to HV+ when the terrain is other than relatively flat.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I think it worths instead of driving on HV mode to use HV+. As I noticed on a flat rode I gained 15 Km driving 24 Km.
What is your goal in using HV+, to increase your MPG? The only way to know which is more efficient, HV or HV+ is if you have a repeated daily or weekly route where you can try both methods, preferably at least three times each to eliminate other variables, and see which method uses less gas for the same route. And all of these tests must be done starting out with 0 EV miles, a full tank of gas, and then filling up at the end of each test to obtain the total gallons used. And you also have to use up any EV miles that you build up in HV+ before the end of each test run. This is really the only accurate way to measure gas usage on the Clarity due to the absence of any other meaningful or accurate information on the instrument panel.

As far as I can determine the primary usefulness of HV+ is for building up EV miles for later use driving around town, in a situation where you don't have a convenient way to charge up. Which in my opinion there is never a convenient way to charge on a road trip, unless the place that I am already parking happens to have a charging station. That's why I bought a PHEV so that I don't have to charge my car on road trips. That's where HV+ can come in handy. The best method as EV Nerd pointed out is to drive HV to preserve your EV miles for later use around town, however it's easy to accidentally use them up by forgetting to turn HV back on when leaving a rest stop, etc.

HV+ can also be helpful if you are facing a long uphill climb and are short on EV miles and you prefer not to hear the roar of the mighty 4-cylinder Atkinson Cycle all the way up the mountain.

But if you are able to do some controlled HV and HV+ gas consumption tests and report back the results that would be really interesting because very few people that I know of have done that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What is your goal in using HV+, to increase your MPG? The only way to know which is more efficient, HV or HV+ is if you have a repeated daily or weekly route where you can try both methods, preferably at least three times each to eliminate other variables, and see which method uses less gas for the same route. And all of these tests must be done starting out with a full tank of gas, and then filling up at the end of each test to obtain the total gallons used. This is the really the only accurate way to measure gas usage on the Clarity due to the absence of any other meaningful or accurate information on the instrument panel.

As far as I can determine the primary usefulness of HV+ is for building up EV miles for later use driving around town, in a situation where you don't have a convenient way to charge up. Which in my opinion there is never a convenient way to charge on a road trip, unless the place that I am already parking happens to have a charging station. That's why I bought a PHEV so that I don't have to charge my car on road trips. That's where HV+ can come in handy. The best method as EV Nerd pointed out is to drive HV to preserve your EV miles for later use around town, however it's easy to accidentally use them up by forgetting to turn HV back on when leaving a rest stop, etc.

HV+ can also be helpful if you are facing a long uphill climb and are short on EV miles and you prefer not to hear the roar of the mighty 4-cylinder Atkinson Cycle all the way up the mountain.

But if you are able to do some controlled HV and HV+ tests and report back the results that would be really interesting because very few people that I know of have done that.
No. I’m not trying to find such a precise value of MPG on HV and HV+ Just trying to see how quickly I can gain EV miles for city driving or going into a mountainous area. I was surprised to gain 15 km. in just 24 km of driving on HV+

·
Registered
768 Posts
No. I’m not trying to find such a precise value of MPG on HV and HV+ Just trying to see how quickly I can gain EV miles for city driving or going into a mountainous area. I was surprised to gain 15 km. in just 24 km of driving on HV+
I guess I misinterpreted that you were saying that based on your test you think it might be better to drive in HV+ mode than HV mode. I realize now you just meant that you use HV+ sometimes and you are wondering if the charging speed that you experienced is normal. Probably is for some conditions, I have seen HV+ charge really fast, other times it seems slower. Like EV Nerd said it depends on a lot of factors. If you test it out multiple times in different conditions you can see what type of results you get, maybe you will discover a pattern as to when it charges faster.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I guess I misinterpreted that you were saying that based on your test you think it might be better to drive in HV+ mode than HV mode. I realize now you just meant that you use HV+ sometimes and you are wondering if the charging speed that you experienced is normal. Probably is for some conditions, I have seen HV+ charge really fast, other times it seems slower. Like EV Nerd said it depends on a lot of factors. If you test it out multiple times in different conditions you can see what type of results you get, maybe you will discover a pattern as to when it charges faster.
Exactly. Knowing how fast I can gain EV miles I will know when to switch on HV+. Usually going on a long trip I will keep my battery charged using HV mode if I am going to a mountainous area, or I will switch to HV+ if I am low on EV miles and I am approaching the mountains. I don’t want to tackle the hills with zero EV miles. I still believe it is easier to gain EV miles when driving on the flat road not uphill.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Could very well be, sounds like a good reason to test both scenarios. Let us know what you find out it should be interesting.
Not too many mountains were I live but will try. Today I am going on a 850km trip 99% flat road. No charging stations on my way. I will try driving alternatively on EV and HV+ to see the MPG. Next time on the same trip I will try only HV and one full charge of EV.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Not too many mountains were I live but will try. Today I am going on a 850km trip 99% flat road. No charging stations on my way. I will try driving alternatively on EV and HV+ to see the MPG. Next time on the same trip I will try only HV and one full charge of EV.
That will be interesting. Please do report back.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts