Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have actually had my new '21 Clarity touring for over a month, I bought it 3/15. Finally got my plates today and it was a Headache!

Long story short:
I decided 2021 was the year to finally buy the Clarity PHEV i have wanted since 2018. Mainly because the Child tax credit is Fully refundable this year and I hope to double dip on that and the EV tax credit.
I wanted the .9% financing from Honda but its only on 2021s I had to drive from Washington to Oregon to get a '21
Dealer didnt understand Oregon incentives or they tried to bait and switch me to the tune of $5000. I stuck to my guns and showed them the texts between me and the sales team and they sold me the car at the price the had quoted.
Washington State Department of Revenue computer system glitched and tried to charge me and extra $2200 dollars in tax. The owner of my local Licensing office went to bat for me and got approval to charge me the correct tax rate based on the EV/PHEV tax exemption.

Links to incentives

I had been keeping an eye on the Clarity ever since the child tax credit was made fully refundable. I think this will let me double dip on the CTC for my 2 kids and still use the non refundable EV tax credit. I guess ill find out when I do my taxes next year.

Anyway we only had '20s here in Washington which wouldn't have been a problem other than the fact that Honda is offering .9% only on '21s. My autotrader search was configured for up to 300 mi away from Covington Wa. This brought up cars from all of WA and most of Oregon. there were 3 tourings at a dealer exactly 300 mi away on the coast of oregon that were listed at 32,990! No way

I contacted the dealer and told them I was in Washington but interested in "the white one." Is $32,990 a real price? They said "oh yes thats the price." that was at least $4k cheaper than even the 2020's here in Washington!

I did some cross shopping of other Oregon dealers and learned that Oregon residents get a $2500 on the spot rebate plus an additional $2500 dollar rebate for low income buyers. There is the 5K discount. Needless to say, I was miffed so I texted the sales guy to let him know. He swore up and down that 32,990 was the price. I contacted an assistant sales manager who also assured me that 32,990 was the price I would pay. It was Saturday so I said "great! see you on Monday"

Monday morning I left the house at 0500 and made the 300mi 5 hr drive in my trusty 96Accord. (which the dealer offered me $1000 in trade for if it made it under its own power.)
I arrived at the dealer and they had the car out front for me, I gave them the keys to my trade, signed a couple documents and was told to wait for "approval form Honda"

The Sales manager beckoned me into his office saying "there's a slight problem" "There's always a problem" I quipped. He then went on to tell me that if they sell the car at MSRP then Honda gives them back $5000 but that only works for Oregon residents. (That isnt at all how it works but whatever) Then he says he is willing to sell me the car at invoice $36,400, or he would pay for my gas to make up for wasting the trip and make it right. He told me the owner would never let him sell the car for so little. I then requested an audience with the owner of the dealership who was in the next office over.

I walked over and talked to the owner explaining that I told the salesman and the assistant manager that I was from Washington and that I was aware of the $5000 dollar discount available to Oregon residents, and that they had both assured me that 32,990 was the price before that discount. I then showed these conversations since they had happened via text message. At that point the owner told me he would honor the price! BUT that special .9% APR was only for oregon residents and I would need to use one of their lenders. (trying to make up for some of the loss I presume). I was ready though and told him that I knew .9% APR was the only incentive that Honda had for Washington residents. "ok we will see if Honda approves it" he said. Honda approved it. I signed the papers and left.

A week later I get a text from the salesman. "what DMV do we send the papers to?" we dont have a DMV in washington we have Local Licensing offices. I gave him the address and they mailed the paperwork.

Finally 5 weeks after purchasing the car my local Licensing office lets me know that the paper work is ready and that the dealer sent payment but it was short by $2200!!
In Washington we get to waive the first 25K in value on use tax. For some reason the computer wasnt giving the Licensing agent that option though. Its a privatly owned licensing office, so I spoke to the Owner and she was nice enough to call up Olympia and she was able to get approval to calculate the use tax at the difference between 32,990 and 25000 which is $7990 use tax was $719 instead of $3000!

Anyway it all boils down to misunderstanding and lack of education surrounding EV incentives.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sounds like you still did not get the whole story.
While $5K is possible thru the Oregon Clean Vehicle Rebate Program, only $2,500 of that is available as "cash on the hood" as apoint of sale discount. The Charge Ahead Rebate (low/moderate income) must be applied for by the purchaser after the sale and a check will be sent to them later (after income verification). In any case, no Honda dealers on the Coast are signed up to offer instant rebates, so the $5K discount was from Honda and not related in any way to the OCVRP.
If Honda is offering the $5K discount in Section 177 States or some subset, (this type of incentive has been used before). Oregon is part of that program, WA is not - and residency/registration location would definitely be a factor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Definitely did not get the whole story. Incentives are so obscure. I wonder if honda is offering 2500 off in the states you mentioned plus the 2500 in state rebates for a total possible rebate of 7500 or if Honda is offering 5000 off not related to the state rebates, for a total of 10,000 off. Good deal either way for those that qualify!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts