Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had several instances in the past couple of months where the navigation system seems to think my car is as much as 1/4 mile from where it actually is. Picture me driving down a major interstate and GPS thinks I'm on a totally different road running parallel. It keeps telling me to take this turn or that turn but never quite figures out I'm not where it thinks I am. One time, it seemed to eventually correct itself. Other times, I've tried turning off the car and back on at a red light and it still is confused. I have not reported it to the dealer, but have had all the latest software updates applied (at least as of a couple of months ago). This was all in Phoenix metro area (flat ground, straight roads, etc.).

Anyone else seeing this weird behavior or have any ideas what might be causing it? I've probably noticed it ~20 different times in past 6 months.

·
Registered
406 Posts
GPS signals are very weak. I've had this happen with other GPS systems so as far as I can tell its interference causing this.

·
Registered
615 Posts
GPS signals are very weak. I've had this happen with other GPS systems so as far as I can tell its interference causing this.
I have had other GPS systems sometimes think that I am on a frontage road that parallels a freeway, but that's like 100 ft or so, nothing close to 1/4 mile as the OP is reporting. And it usually self corrects after driving a mile or so.

Actually I drive a local route that has some frontage roads and I never have this problem (although I'm not using built-in NAV). The frontage road issues that I had in the past were always in other cities and I suspect that some of them were due to map inaccuracy. I suppose interference is also possible.

Anyone else seeing this weird behavior or have any ideas what might be causing it? I've probably noticed it ~20 different times in past 6 months.
Try using Google Maps on your phone and see if it does the same thing, if not then it could be an error in the Garmin map data. You can also plug your phone into the driver side USB port and run Google Maps in Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, but I assume that you prefer to use the built-in NAV. However if you just aren't familiar with Google Maps you may want to give it a try, most people including myself consider it far superior to the built in NAV, mainly in terms of constantly updated data. Some people prefer Waze (a subsidiary of Google) because of its simpler interface, but Waze has less capabilities than Google Maps.

Other times, I've tried turning off the car and back on at a red light and it still is confused.
You can reboot the infotainment system by pressing and holding the audio power button for a few seconds. That way you don't have to shut off the car, you can even do this while driving. In fact shutting off the car does not actually do a reboot it just puts infotainment into sleep mode. Only pressing and holding the audio power button does a full reboot.

·
Registered
406 Posts
My favorite GPS "error" occurred on I-90 in Pennsylvania. The eastbound lanes were under construction so all the traffic was routed to the westbound lanes. Google Navigator kept trying to get me to get off the highway and move over to the correct lanes.

Reactions: 4sallypat and 2002
1 - 4 of 4 Posts