Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a drive that is about 375m. Obviously the battery will be drained early-on, and I am pressed for time, so I won't have time to recharge. Is there any harm in riding only on gas for about 300 miles?

· Registered
731 Posts
No, but I'd shift over to HV mode as soon as you drop two or three bars of battery. The car will run a lot better with battery available.

· Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
786 Posts
I am planning a drive that is about 375m. Obviously the battery will be drained early-on, and I am pressed for time, so I won't have time to recharge. Is there any harm in riding only on gas for about 300 miles?
Hah! I read the initial 375m as "meters", and figured you were in Canada, and forgot the "k". Didn't occur to me until later, that it was missing an "i".

My science and engineering education makes me biased, I guess. Bloody British, and our inherited Imperial system!

· Registered
20 Posts
We recently drove 2600 miles in six days. I used HV Charge mode the entire way. HV Charge will bring the drive battery up to about 55-60% then automatically shift to HV to keep it there. If you stop for gas leave the car running. The engine will turn off and the system will keep the state of chage in the battery. If you turn the car off you will notice a lower battery level. Not sure why, but everyone I've talked with about it says it's better to leave it on. {shrug} And, like the rest of us, if you turn it off you'll forget to press the HV button until you notice you have two bars left.

· Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
786 Posts
We recently drove 2600 miles in six days. I used HV Charge mode the entire way. HV Charge will bring the drive battery up to about 55-60% then automatically shift to HV to keep it there. If you stop for gas leave the car running. The engine will turn off and the system will keep the state of chage in the battery. If you turn the car off you will notice a lower battery level. Not sure why, but everyone I've talked with about it says it's better to leave it on. {shrug} And, like the rest of us, if you turn it off you'll forget to press the HV button until you notice you have two bars left.
Yup. Forgot to turn HV back on one time, on a road trip. We were subject to a screaming ICE as we climbed the next pass at 55mi/hr, with HV Charge on. Live and learn.

Another poster here went as far as to stick a Post-It note or some such on the shift button every time they stopped for gas, to remind them to hit HV again.

· Registered
64 Posts
Yup. Forgot to turn HV back on one time, on a road trip. We were subject to a screaming ICE as we climbed the next pass at 55mi/hr, with HV Charge on. Live and learn.

Another poster here went as far as to stick a Post-It note or some such on the shift button every time they stopped for gas, to remind them to hit HV again.
At least you were able to go 55 mph! We forgot to turn HV on once and ran out of battery just as we began a huge ascent on a CO mountain freeway...our top speed for many miles was 7 mph, and dangerous as hell! I filed a complaint with the NTSB after that incident. I also noticed that HV Charge is incapable of charging the battery during uphill climbs like that, because all the battery energy is being sucked as it's being produced. Bad deal.
And yes, after that experience, on all road trips or vacations we now put a bright yellow sticky note reminder to turn on HV when we start up the car!

· Registered
731 Posts
At least you were able to go 55 mph! We forgot to turn HV on once and ran out of battery just as we began a huge ascent on a CO mountain freeway...our top speed for many miles was 7 mph, and dangerous as hell! I filed a complaint with the NTSB after that incident. I also noticed that HV Charge is incapable of charging the battery during uphill climbs like that, because all the battery energy is being sucked as it's being produced. Bad deal.
And yes, after that experience, on all road trips or vacations we now put a bright yellow sticky note reminder to turn on HV when we start up the car!
I was able to maintain 40 going up Grand Mesa after running in HV Charge mode for about 15 minutes from I-70 to the base of the climb. I agree, this is the single biggest design flaw in the Clarity PHEV.

· Registered
2020 Clarity Touring
432 Posts
I was able to maintain 40 going up Grand Mesa after running in HV Charge mode for about 15 minutes from I-70 to the base of the climb. I agree, this is the single biggest design flaw in the Clarity PHEV.
It’s funny how the majority of all Claritys have been sold in California where this is more of an issue because of hilly/mountainous terrain. Whereas very few Claritys were sold in Illinois where I live and it’s not an issue I ever have to deal with.

· Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
786 Posts
It’s funny how the majority of all Claritys have been sold in California where this is more of an issue because of hilly/mountainous terrain. Whereas very few Claritys were sold in Illinois where I live and it’s not an issue I ever have to deal with.
Yes, indeedee. I've made so many trips from OC to Paso Robles that HV and HV Charge are second nature now. <hic>

· Registered
20 Posts
For the inventors or tinkerers out there: Some type of plunger switch that trips when you start the car. Place it over the HV button so it it plunges once and starts HV. I found some solenoid plunger switches that pull the plunger in, but though that if it was longer then when it pulled in one end it would push out the other. Of course it needs to pop back.

Not an electrician so i could be way off base.

· Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
786 Posts
For the inventors or tinkerers out there: Some type of plunger switch that trips when you start the car. Place it over the HV button so it it plunges once and starts HV. I found some solenoid plunger switches that pull the plunger in, but though that if it was longer then when it pulled in one end it would push out the other. Of course it needs to pop back.

Not an electrician so i could be way off base.
Probably easier to do it electronically, through the switch's wiring harness.

· Registered
1 Posts
I drive from Raleigh, NC to Carbondale, IL and back once a month over the Great Smokey Mountains. I always set the car to HV mode anytime I drive over 45 mph, so all of the highway miles. I switch to electric only to go up the mountains, then coast down to get the regen benefit. I have occasionally forgotten to switch back and so I use the HV Charge setting with success. My 2021 Clarity has 55,000 miles. It's a great car.

· Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
786 Posts
I drive from Raleigh, NC to Carbondale, IL and back once a month over the Great Smokey Mountains. I always set the car to HV mode anytime I drive over 45 mph, so all of the highway miles. I switch to electric only to go up the mountains, then coast down to get the regen benefit. I have occasionally forgotten to switch back and so I use the HV Charge setting with success. My 2021 Clarity has 55,000 miles. It's a great car.
Excellent! The more new drivers understand that the Clarity PHEV hybrid system works best when it's somewhat "managed" by the driver, the fewer surprises and "WHAT HAPPENED?" posts we'll get here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts