Honda Clarity Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had 62 miles in summer a couple of months ago when I bought the car, and actually drove about 60 miles on single charge.
These days with ambient temperature 40 to 50F, it displays about 42 miles, and also interestingly, the center infotainment system screen shows the battery is not actually fully charged. My ODB adapters report they are 99% charged, but the graph makes it look like it's only 80-85% charged. It may be that the car is trying to protect the battery by not letting it charge fully when the weather is cold.
I try to stop charging at 70-80%, as most of the time I can make round trip from home to work with about 60% of the total charge.

I like how Juicebox pro has a setting where you can quickly set what the current charge level is when I plug it in, and then have it stop at close to my desired value, and can even delay the charge so that I can time it to charge right before I head out.

·
Registered
2019 PHEV Touring White Pearl, SO CT
75 Posts
Clarity in CT

That sounds about right. Here in CT a full charge is 35-37 miles; sometimes I get a little more and sometimes less than that estimate; depends on speed, hills, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Clarity in FL

Getting 55 miles per charge here in Florida. Just came down from Missouri where I was getting 36 miles per charge. Took two days for the Clarity to realize I wasn't using the electric heater anymore:smile:.

·
Registered
2018 PHEV Touring Atlanta, GA
865 Posts
I sometimes want to know before I charge what my EV range will be after I finish charging, so I came up with the following calculation:

Current EV miles/((Current SOC-10)/90))

For example when I get home if the app shows 8 miles EV range at 27% SOC, then the calculation is:

8/((27-10)/90)) = 42 miles

I have this as a formula in Excel so I just have to enter the miles and SOC and it calculates the result. However if using a standard calculator you can use the memory keys M+ and MR to make it easier. The keystroke sequence on a calculator is like this using the above example:

27 - 10 ÷ 90 = M+ 8 ÷ MR =

When I later finish charging the EV range is usually pretty close to this estimate, unless the starting EV miles is really low like 2 miles then it is not as accurate, and also it won't work at 0 miles. But anything above about 5 miles or so EV range it seems to be a pretty good estimate of what my range will be when I am fully charged.

·
Registered
195 Posts
we rarely use the seat heaters....
That's a shame - because they're lovely! Especially when driving at night I find that having warm air blown around me to be WAY too relaxing - but a cooler cabin with a warm seat is the perfect option! If only it had a heated steering wheel...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey GeofK,

How did the weather change in your area? Do you live in one of those Cold'ish area like New England or somewhere close to Canadian Border?

Trying to understand how the outside temperature impacts the Range
Outside temp in my area is 40 oF during day and 30 oF during night and my charging level has dropped to 25 miles !!

·
Registered
2018 Clarity
7 Posts
Outside temp in my area is 40 oF during day and 30 oF during night and my charging level has dropped to 25 miles !!
I have got as high as high as 50+ miles on a charge in warm weather in Indiana. Even in cold weather last year my Clarity was still getting in the high 30's with the heater on. This year I cannot get even 30 miles on a charge, and the winter has been mild so far (Joe Biden's "Cold Dark Winter" has not started yet). The car is going to the dealer on Monday for evaluation. I have asked for a print-out of EV battery performance. Car has 23,000 miles, and is kept inside a heated garage. I drive with an egg between my foot and the gas pedal, and rarely more than 50 miles on a trip.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Summer time in NJ i got nearly 70 miles EV but now that winter is here, the cold shows 45-47 max range. I have a 2018, love this car but wish we could replace battery with at least 100 mile one.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Summer time in NJ i got nearly 70 miles EV but now that winter is here, the cold shows 45-47 max range. I have a 2018, love this car but wish we could replace battery with at least 100 mile one.
Welcome! Glad you are enjoying your Clarity, it really is a great car.

As for seeing a 100 mile range PHEV that is unlikely. Although we all like to think of our Clarity's as an electric car that occasionally uses gas, that's not really the purpose of a PHEV. The purpose of a PHEV is to greatly reduce the amount of gasoline used. The average person drives around 30 miles per day. There are many PHEV's that only have about 25 miles of EV range, but even they make a drastic difference in the amount of gasoline used by shifting up to 25 miles of gasoline usage each day to electric. That really adds up over the course of a year, and almost makes a regular hybrid look like a gas guzzler.

In the case of Clarity we can drive up to around 50 miles electric depending on driving conditions. That is a huge reduction in gasoline usage. But to go higher than that would mean higher battery cost, more weight, and reducing passenger and cargo space. Looking at nationwide driving, doubling the size of the battery would not double the gas savings, because most people don't drive 100 miles most days, so the negatives of using a larger battery would start to outweigh the positives of being able to drive more days all electric.

We expect battery technology to improve, but that will not show up in PHEV's and EV's this year, or realistically the next five years. We really don't know when we might see batteries getting twice the range for half the price, but it probably will happen at some point.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Depending on where you live cold weather affects electric range. I had up to 55 miles in the summer and as soon as the weather got cooler or cold it went down to lower 40's. That would be normal. Winter is a different ball game for electric cars.
Another thing that effects winter MPG is the fact that tires have lower psi the colder it gets. Lower tire air pressure leads to less mpg.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Of course there’s a remedy for that…
Sort of a challenge though since temperature can fluctuate. In theory you can overinflate by several pounds, then as temperatures fall the pressure will still be above the minimum. But overinflation can have an effect on treadwear, and it also reduces the footprint of the tire and increases stopping distances. I came from the Prius world where everyone overinflated their tires to get better gas mileage, and I used to do that also until I read about the tests that have been done showing the impact of overinflation on braking distance.

But yes it's definitely important to monitor tire pressure regularly and keep at proper inflation.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts