Honda Clarity Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I have to concur with every one else. I live in NE and got my Clarity in April. Got the stated 47 miles per charge. As the weather warmed I was getting close to 65 on a charge. Woo hoo! In the dead of winter now I can get anywhere from 37-42 max. I also drive with minimal heat sources in the car and with diving conservativly I can get close to the 47 miles of range between regen. power and costing mileage and actual charge miles. Using the heater is a huge mileage suck. Just sitting still with the heater running I watched the mileage go down on the meter. One thing I have noticed is that the my Honda dealer, sales and service, is still getting up to speed on this vehicle which makes getting reliable info a challenge.

·
Super Moderator
610 Posts
....... Got the stated 47 miles per charge. As the weather warmed I was getting close to 65 on a charge. Woo hoo! ........
Living in the warm Southwestern US, I saw this happen as well - started out at 47 miles per charge then gradually increased to over 60 miles per charge in the middle of January.
Does not hurt that I did not have to turn on the heater or any other climate control - just roll down the windows in sunny Southern California....

·
Registered
75 Posts
I purchased my 2018 a few weeks ago. I have 489 miles on it so far and used very little gas. Still above half. I live in upstate NY where the weather sucks and it is teens and 20's, 30's for the most part. I have not had any full complete charges above 33. It shows 33 when I start and gets a bit less due to heater, etc... It sounds like this is normal, HOWEVER, should I take it to the dealer to see if there is an update for me? Would updating it do anything in regards to increasing mileage EV. I use a 220 cord now 16 amo by zencar. The original cord I used gave the same numbers. I am hoping the weather is giving me crappy mileage. Thoughts?
Thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
I purchased my 2018 a few weeks ago. I have 489 miles on it so far and used very little gas. Still above half. I live in upstate NY where the weather sucks and it is teens and 20's, 30's for the most part. I have not had any full complete charges above 33. It shows 33 when I start and gets a bit less due to heater, etc... It sounds like this is normal, HOWEVER, should I take it to the dealer to see if there is an update for me? Would updating it do anything in regards to increasing mileage EV. I use a 220 cord now 16 amo by zencar. The original cord I used gave the same numbers. I am hoping the weather is giving me crappy mileage. Thoughts?
Thanks
33 is well within what I would expect for the conditions you describe. Any updates are very likely already applied, and would not change the electric range in any case. spring is not far off, and you will likely see numbers greater than the 48 EPA rating at east some of the time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks Duc. I hope so. I drive it in the the winter and my wife will drive it in summer. She drives farther so I want her to be able to get to work and back (or close to) on all electric. Her commute is about 20 miles while mine is 8 or so. It just filled up and stopped at 33 again. its 17 degrees outside and probably maybe 25 in garage. Took four hours to charge on a 220 with 4 miles on EV.

·
Super Moderator
610 Posts
With climate controls all turned off I am getting 60 miles per charge this week.

Nice to not have to use any climate conditioning in So Cal in the middle of February!

Turning on any heating seems to reduce the EV range significantly...

·
Registered
75 Posts
With climate controls all turned off I am getting 60 miles per charge this week.

Nice to not have to use any climate conditioning in So Cal in the middle of February!

Turning on any heating seems to reduce the EV range significantly...
Must be nice! Just got back from southern florida where it was 85 every day. It will be a while before we have warmer weather here. :( When yours is fully charged, does it say 60? Or 47 and getting 60? Is there a way to have the blower on with no heat or air running so it doesn't use battery? I know the AC button needs to be on to cool it, but can I have it blow outside air with no juice?

·
Super Moderator
610 Posts
The display says 60 miles of EV charge when I start her up in the morning.

I have not used climate control at all this week due to the warm sunny weather.
Helps that I don't use the A/C because the windows is all I need opened.

Also, since I drive in slow commute traffic daily, the car is in Econ mode - EV only and I use the paddle regen every chance I get.

Love not using a drop of fuel!

·
Registered
75 Posts
The display says 60 miles of EV charge when I start her up in the morning.

I have not used climate control at all this week due to the warm sunny weather.
Helps that I don't use the A/C because the windows is all I need opened.

Also, since I drive in slow commute traffic daily, the car is in Econ mode - EV only and I use the paddle regen every chance I get.

Love not using a drop of fuel!
So you push the econ button each time when using EV on battery? I wonder if that will help me a little?

·
Registered
56 Posts
... Is there a way to have the blower on with no heat or air running so it doesn't use battery? I know the AC button needs to be on to cool it, but can I have it blow outside air with no juice?
No need to run A/C. When the cabin is too warm and the outside air temperature is low but not too low, I routinely press the Fresh Air Button and then just turn on the fan.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks

I would track your actual range you're getting manually. I was flipping out in November in DC when the temps dropped into the 50s and suddenly saw a 38 mile range instead of mid to upper 50s. On a hunch, I tracked what I was actually getting from a full charge to drained (not just watching the indicated range)...and found it was actually 54.

What can happen is if you had one charge -drain cycle where you used the heater/defrost or idled for a long period of time, it may trick the range indicator into thinking that's your driving style and adjust expected range accordingly.

I've gone through the winter here in DC with highs typically in the 30s and 40s and my actual range has been consistent at 52 - 56, unless I blast the heater for an extended period of time (then it drops into the 40s).

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would track your actual range you're getting manually. I was flipping out in November in DC when the temps dropped into the 50s and suddenly saw a 38 mile range instead of mid to upper 50s. On a hunch, I tracked what I was actually getting from a full charge to drained (not just watching the indicated range)...and found it was actually 54.

What can happen is if you had one charge -drain cycle where you used the heater/defrost or idled for a long period of time, it may trick the range indicator into thinking that's your driving style and adjust expected range accordingly.

I've gone through the winter here in DC with highs typically in the 30s and 40s and my actual range has been consistent at 52 - 56, unless I blast the heater for an extended period of time (then it drops into the 40s).
Well I tried something different today. I didn't use the heat at all (very little) actually to see if it helped. The initial range said 33 in the morning. I drove about 28 miles today and still had 14 on the EV. I also used sport and the regenerative braking as suggested by someone earlier. Went easy on the gas. I believe the heat does suck so much from the actual range you can get. This is the most I have gotten on a charge. However, I did notice that the gas engine kicked on twice for no apparent reason. One time on the way home it came on for 5 minutes. I couldn't get it back to EV. Still had 16 left. Also, I took it out again and it kicked on to gas again for no reason! I don't want to use the gas. Why is it kicking on the gas so often today? It did this yesterday as well for a period of time. Does it kick on if you accelerate quick? Is there a way to put it back to EV? Or do you have to wait? Also,
I am not sure I know or noticed the "fresh air" button. I wil have to look for that one so it doesn't use battery when it is warmer.
Thanks!
Jim

·
Super Moderator
610 Posts
How does the ac use affect your battery?
I had asked about this about a month ago and the replies were that the A/C system does not impact the battery EV range as much as heating.
But then time will tell as I am So Cal and expect to start using the A/C soon.
Currently, I don't have any battery impact because I don't use any heating.
I am at 100-125% EV range (47-60 miles) per charge

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks that surprises me. I used to be the guy to work on the ice cars when they would complain about gas mileage and it was the opposite with them. The ac was very noticeable but the heater of course not at all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Your prdicted milage is dependant on how you last drove the car. Yesterday was quite cold (around 20f) and I used the seats and heater because I only had only a few miles for errands. This morning the car showed 34 miles EV. Today was warm (43f) and I left all heating things off and traveled around 51 miles, and in the morning I expect to see about 50 EV. Drive hard, drive real warm and don't expect above 35 EV in the winter. I have owned Insights, civic hybrid and the last version of the accord hybrid. I got almost 60 EV last November before it got cold. If you race to red lights and stop signs as well as a heavy foot all the time. Get an accord or civic. Yes I have a heavy foot when needed (not that often). I am not a tree hugger , just cheap. The insight automatic go 50mpg without trying. The civic hybrid got high 40s. The latest accord hybrid got almost 50mpg all the time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am so glad I live in Southern California where we rarely see cold temps.

We are a warm weather state and never suffer from low capacity battery issues.

However living in an area where the air conditioning is used 10 month out of 12 months - we rarely use the seat heaters....
I live in So Cal, our seat heating is basically on from around November until March lol. It sucks getting into a 45 degree car at 7am. Our Clarity is new, but thats how it went with the Accord's heated seats.

As far as OP's concern, we are getting about 42 mile estimate on EV (also just picked up the car 4 days ago, so its still learning our driving). But yeah, as others have said. It will reflect based on your driving habbits, it would need to do a full charge and discharge a few times to show more accurately what it is. The thing is, its an estimation. So if it estimates 35, but the way you drive should actually be 45, you will still see the 45, its not like its going to burn though it faster or slower. Its just a guess based on previous drives.

Now I think a better question to ask would be. If there is an issue with the battery (dead cells), would a dash light come up to indicate an issue?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Real cold temps in Ontario. -17*F the other night, -6 now.. Charge in garage shows 50 KLM(30)
but once out on the road you do not get even that with heaters all going.
Should be better in a week or so thou..../ Going to Florida!

Will keep a log of fuel used to get there...1450 miles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
When frigid temps hit last week in Wisconsin my EV estimate went down to 28, although I typically get a few more miles than these low estimates by keeping the temp setting at 70 and driving carefully. Today's temperature in the upper 20's brought my EV estimate to 32. In the summer my EV numbers were often in the 60's with a high of 66.2 with odometer-verified mileage obtained.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Outside temp this morning: 36F. Clarity parked in attached but not climate controlled garage. Temp in garage 55F.

Full charge showing 44 miles EV range, but that quickly dropped with liberal use of the heater/defroster. My daily commute is about 22 miles round trip, able to do the trip in EV mode. Last time I bought gas was back in early Oct when I made a road trip.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.