Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only had this car for a month so far, but every time I charge the car full (Honda Link or Charegepoint app shows Charging 100%). The car's EV Range only shows 37 miles, Fuel guage shows charging is full.

I took it to the dealer, he said there was a software update pending, so they completed and said it should fix the issue, but so far it has not changed. Dealer says, its the estimated range based on my driving habits and asked me to try 10 days of Crazy, zippy driving and see if the 37 becomes 34~. Also for 10 days drive in the most economic mode, like im running out of gas soon. To see if the range improves.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Depending on where you live cold weather affects electric range. I had up to 55 miles in the summer and as soon as the weather got cooler or cold it went down to lower 40's. That would be normal. Winter is a different ball game for electric cars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My range, which had been in the high 40s low 50s has dropped to mid to low 30s. I understand winter is a different ball game, but this change was very abrupt. Have had the software updates and dealer has rechecked and does not believe there is a problem other than winter weather.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey GeofK,

How did the weather change in your area? Do you live in one of those Cold'ish area like New England or somewhere close to Canadian Border?

Trying to understand how the outside temperature impacts the Range

·
Registered
36 Posts
My wife drives with the heater blasting, heated seats on, and still complains about being cold all the time. She gets 35 miles per charge.

I drive with the heater off, seats off, Sport mode for regen, and a light foot. I tap defrost to clear the windshield whenever it gets foggy and then turn it off when it's clear. I get 50+ miles per charge. We have the same commute and the weather is the same any given day this winter (30-45 degrees for the last month); her preferences are toward comfort so she loses range when she drives.

After I drive for a week it updates the estimates and assumes 48-52 miles on a full charge, but when she drives it for a week it estimates about 40 for a full charge.

Your mileage may vary :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it - so while your wife is driving, every time you unplug after a full charge, EV range shows about 35.

On your case, it probably shows 47+?

In my case - everytime I unplug after a full charge, i only see 36 or 37

·
Registered
10 Posts
Full overnight (13 hour) 115v outdoor charge at 15 degrees showed 26 EV range. Still getting 40.8 mpg since the last trip A odometer reset. When it's that cold we need to run the defroster on any car for at least a few minutes to clear the inside of the windshield. That cost a good 10mpg out of a tank of gas (I reset the average MPG every fill up) on the 2015 MAZDA6 we had before the Clarity. We don't wait until the car is toasty inside because a gas engine these days won't get warm until you drive it r idle it for 15 minutes. The Clarity heats up nice and quick so there is no teeth chattering for the 1st 5 minutes of driving, but I checked my phone the other morning and it took 30% of the charge for my wife to warm it and drive 3 miles to work. If we can charge it 2 or 3 times a week. be warm when we get in it and maintain 40+ mpg I'm more than happy.

·
Super Moderator
472 Posts
I am so glad I live in Southern California where we rarely see cold temps.

We are a warm weather state and never suffer from low capacity battery issues.

However living in an area where the air conditioning is used 10 month out of 12 months - we rarely use the seat heaters....

·
Registered
53 Posts
I bought my Clarity December 5th and today was the first time it got up to the 40 mile range. Temperature here was 45 degrees.

Tim

·
Registered
36 Posts
Got it - so while your wife is driving, every time you unplug after a full charge, EV range shows about 35.

On your case, it probably shows 47+?

In my case - everytime I unplug after a full charge, i only see 36 or 37

Correct, basically.

It's more like if my wife drives it several charges in a row or if she is riding with me while I'm driving, then the heater is on and the range is low. It takes about a week of driving without the heater to bring the estimated range back up to the mid-forties. There is a definite effect of cold weather on battery capacity or discharge efficiency, but the biggest drain is the heater. In another thread on this forum someone posted that the heater is a 6KW heater, meaning if you run the heater for one hour you use 6 KW of electricity. That's 1/3rd of the capacity of the battery in the Clarity, and it's easy to see how even using the heater a little could drop the range 20% or more.

By contrast, the heated seats are practically free to use. So if you're cold, my advice is pre-condition the car while it's plugged in, then use as little heater as possible and keep your butts toasty.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have gotten 50 miles on battery with temp in the 60F. Drive home today at 75F was able to get 57 miles on battery. Temp. definitely affects range.
I live in flat Houston with elevation change of 300 feet over 54 miles, everyday drive.

·
Super Moderator
472 Posts
I have gotten 50 miles on battery with temp in the 60F. Drive home today at 75F was able to get 57 miles on battery. Temp. definitely affects range.
I live in flat Houston with elevation change of 300 feet over 54 miles, everyday drive.
Yes, same here in So Calif - getting over 50 miles per charge - similar temps.

When we go to Mammoth Mountain for some skiing due to the huge snowfall, I will keep an eye on the battery capacity..

·
Registered
4 Posts
can you add some more info regarding the use of Sport Mode to improve battery charge/range?
thanks

I drive with the heater off, seats off, Sport mode for regen, and a light foot

·
Registered
53 Posts
JS Sport Mode by itself doesn't improve battery charge/ range. Sport Mode allows regenerative braking to remain on all the time. In Eco mode the RB shuts off when you come to a stop meaning you have to reset it constantly. If you are like me you don't want to do that so I leave the car in SM and the RB is always on once activated.

Tim

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have had our Clarity since June, and live in SoCal. Recent days are shorter and cooler, so I accept we may have a higher accessory electrical load from headlights and heater - although much lower A/C load - but we've seen a drop off from 49 miles estimated EV range to 34 - that's more than 25%. I'm using a Siemans VC30GRYU VersiCharge level 2 30A 220V charger at home and various commercial level 2 charging stations around Los Angeles. I should also note that today had new s/w installed during regular maintenance by the local Honda dealer and they suggested the bulletin says it will slow the charging rate by up to 50% - will see if that is true in practice on this charger - and also see if this helps "resolve the EV range issue".

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't think having 37 miles EV range on a full charge is affected by the temperature. I live in San Francisco Bay Area and have my car parked in enclosed garage with temp about 45F. The car was updated with the latest software before the new year. Since then, the meter shows between 36.7 and 40 miles after a full charge.
I bought my car in July 2018 and it now has 25K+ miles. I drive 175 miles a day with average speed of 65 to 80 MPH with 90% on freeway and highway.
In fact, the EV mileage has been dropping since day 1. Note that after 12K+ miles, not only the EV mileage drops, the HV mileage is dropping as well.
According to the owners manual, the gas tank is 7 gallons. However, there was a time I filled it up with 7.2 gallons after having 10 HV miles left on the meter. Even after filling up the gas tank, the HV miles now does not show more than 300 miles. In fact, the highest it goes is about 298 miles.
Be aware that the mileage shows on the meter dashboard is manipulated by the software just like Volkswagen and Fiat/Chrysler cheated on the emissions with the software.
I did mention it to the dealer a month after getting the car and all they said is there is a software update to fix it. As other users said, it did not change a thing after the software update.

·
Registered
36 Posts
JS Sport Mode by itself doesn't improve battery charge/ range. Sport Mode allows regenerative braking to remain on all the time. In Eco mode the RB shuts off when you come to a stop meaning you have to reset it constantly. If you are like me you don't want to do that so I leave the car in SM and the RB is always on once activated.

Tim

Tim is right. I use Sport mode and am careful not to press the pedal hard. Eco mode does a couple things to stretch the car's range, but the two main ones are it "desensitizes" the accelerator and it decreases the effectiveness of climate controls. The Honda Clarity is drive-by-wire, meaning that a computer controls how much acceleration you get out of a press on the pedal. Sport mode isn't actually less efficient, but it's less efficient and more powerful if you drive the same way you always do. The next time you are driving, put it in Normal mode and try holding your foot steady so the power gauge holds still. Then click over to Sport mode. The same amount of foot-power turns into a lot more power on the power gauge. With your foot in the same position, click over to Eco mode and watch the power gauge go the other way.

We have only had our Clarity for 4000 miles, but I have had more success stretching my range by using Sport mode and keeping high regen (four ^) active for whenever I release the accelerator. Since I generally avoid using the heater, that benefit of Eco mode is lost to me and Sport mode has been more efficient for my driving style. You have to be a lot more active in how you drive, though, feeling the resistance in your foot and adjusting accordingly. I am more focused and better at it when driving alone than when in conversation with passengers.

It reminds me of driving a manual without a tachometer, where you shift by how your foot feels and use engine braking whenever possible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my Clarity December 5th and today was the first time it got up to the 40 mile range. Temperature here was 45 degrees.

Tim
After 3.5 months* of driving my new Clarity almost totally in the EV mode, I'm coming to believe that the Honda Link EV total range number, can be directly related to the ambient air temperature while driving.
*(in a climate where 4 season temp changes are normal)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a similar issue - try manually tracking your actual range after your next full charge - it could also be that the cold weather or use of the heater in a previous charge/use may have tricked the range indicator (may take several cycles to catch back onto your true range). I found that a 38 mile range at 100% often was actually 50-54 - even in cold weather. Today, in 16 degree weather in DC, I had a range listed as 43 on a full charge and I got 52 out of it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts