Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the Chevy Volt, if the average age of the gasoline in the tank reaches a year old, the car goes into Fuel Maintenance Mode where it runs as a hybrid until either the tank is empty or you put at least three gallons of gas into the tank. My Volt is at 345 days so I anticipate it going into this mode any day now.

My question is - does the Clarity PHEV do the same at some point? After 383 days my wife's Clarity still has a full tank of gas. I put in 5.697 gallons on Feb 16, 2020 and the car has used so little gas that the gas gauge still shows full. The car does run the ICE every couple of months for a short period of time, so I assume it's doing some sort of engine maintenance.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have never heard of Clarity doing that. I know some people just go ahead and burn it off if it has been in there for a year and then refill.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since I have to go into the office a couple of days this week I'm going to take my wife's car and run it in HV mode to force it to burn the gas.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Since I have to go into the office a couple of days this week I'm going to take my wife's car and run it in HV mode to force it to burn the gas.
Since your Clarity uses so little gas you may want to join in on the experiment of using premium gas to see if it makes the engine any quieter. Some people say it does, others say it doesn't. I really think my engine is a little quieter now since I started using 93 octane, I realize there could be a placebo effect but I think enough people including myself have noticed a difference that it's worth trying. If you don't hear any difference, then next year when you fill up again you can go back to regular :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since your Clarity uses so little gas you may want to join in on the experiment of using premium gas to see if it makes the engine any quieter. Some people say it does, others say it doesn't. I really think my engine is a little quieter now since I started using 93 octane, I realize there could be a placebo effect but I think enough people including myself have noticed a difference that it's worth trying. If you don't hear any difference, then next year when you fill up again you can go back to regular :)
Interesting thought. I may put $7.26 (brings total gas bill to $90) of premium into the tank when I manage to get the low fuel light to trigger. At current gas prices this should bring the tank to between 40 and 50% full.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So this car is hard to force into gas mode. I ended up having to use HV and Sport mode together to ensure the car would keep the gas engine running. It's also incredibly efficient on gas - 47 MPG this morning running mainly uphill at speeds up to 80 MPH. This afternoon with the cruise set at 70 on the return trip it averaged 52 MPG. At the rate I'm driving it's going to take the rest of the month to burn out the old gas.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Interesting thought. I may put $7.26 (brings total gas bill to $90) of premium into the tank when I manage to get the low fuel light to trigger. At current gas prices this should bring the tank to between 40 and 50% full.
FYI the low fuel warning triggers at about 40 miles HV remaining. As long as you have EV range there is no problem taking HV down to 0 miles. Nothing happens at 0 HV miles because there is still gas left in the tank and the gas engine will continue to operate, but I don't push it past 0 miles, I switch to EV if it reaches 0 HV, and then fill up at my next convenience. Of course I am not referring to being on a trip I am talking about driving around town where there are gas stations everywhere. I go to QuikTrip which is a convenience store chain, they were one of the original brands to become Top Tier certified. Fortunately for me there are QuikTrip stores all over the place where I live. I also go to Costco sometimes for gas, they are Top Tier also and even cheaper than QuikTrip, but if the line at Costco is too long I skip it.

I'm not saying I take it down to 0 HV miles every time, but if it's not convenient to get gas it's nice to know that I can use up pretty much what is in the tank and still have EV power to get me where I need to go until I have a chance to fill up.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The biggest danger of running this car with no gas is that the fuel pump seals will dry out. The pump doesn't need cooling when it's not running but you do want to keep the seals moist.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The biggest danger of running this car with no gas is that the fuel pump seals will dry out. The pump doesn't need cooling when it's not running but you do want to keep the seals moist.
I would think that is true with all cars not just Clarity. Also the catalytic converter can be damaged by running out of fuel. Maybe either of those outcomes are rare, and also plenty of people will say they have run out of gas many a time with no consequences. But that's true with a lot of things, the risks may be low, but it's not zero risk. It's like someone saying they never lock their car and have never had a problem. Good for them, but I'm still locking my car.

I have read that at 0 HV miles there is still about a gallon left in the tank. I don't know if it's quite that much as I think my car takes a little over six gallons when I have taken it down to 0 HV miles, so that's a bit less than a gallon. But still I think I am not exactly cutting it close and have many miles of gasoline left. But it's so easy to switch to EV at 0 HV miles so I just do that.

Of course if you are also low on battery then you might eventually get down to 0 EV miles, but even then you still have about 10% SOC to work with. I actually did reach 0-0 once but I was just a few blocks from the gas station by that time. I'm sure I could have gone farther on either gas or electric, but it's not something that I prefer to push any further than 0-0. But there is a guy who experimented with it (must have a been a lease!) and made a YouTube video showing the warning messages that he got after driving quite a number of miles past 0-0. Although he did make it to a gas station and didn't get stranded, so no way to know how much farther he could have gone or what happens if you truly run out of both "fuels". Sorry I don't have the link at the moment for the video.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts