Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back my Clarity Fuel Cell from the dealership after taking it in for a warning message at 15,000 miles (2 years into lease). There was a fuel cell performance warning that was followed by "reduced power" warning. I did not notice a power change while driving to the dealership immediately after the warning came up. While waiting in service line, though, the climate control went off-line.

After checking it out, the dealership said the car needed a new Fuel Cell stack. This was not provided directly from Honda and would take a week to be delivered from the fuel cell provider. After about 2 weeks, the replacement was done but then they could not clear all the error codes. The A/C compressor was out as well. That took another few days to receive. Car was gone from before Christmas until about January 7th.

I took a peek at their service paperwork and saw that they charged back Honda just over $58k for the work. This was enough to scare me from ever fully purchasing a fuel cell in the future. If the fuel cell stack can go out just like that at 15,000 miles and cost essentially the original MSRP, then this may not be the type of technology to buy yet. Good thing the lease covers any issues like this one.

Car runs fine and I haven't noticed a range difference or any changes yet. Just happy that the warranty covered the expense.

·
Registered
662 Posts
No FCEV vehicle has ever been sold/leased for the actual cost to build - fuel cells are expensive. This is why fleet managers who had been told to go FCEV are quietly cancelling those orders in favor of BEV vehicles.

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
657 Posts
Just got back my Clarity Fuel Cell from the dealership after taking it in for a warning message at 15,000 miles (2 years into lease). There was a fuel cell performance warning that was followed by "reduced power" warning. I did not notice a power change while driving to the dealership immediately after the warning came up. While waiting in service line, though, the climate control went off-line.

After checking it out, the dealership said the car needed a new Fuel Cell stack. This was not provided directly from Honda and would take a week to be delivered from the fuel cell provider. After about 2 weeks, the replacement was done but then they could not clear all the error codes. The A/C compressor was out as well. That took another few days to receive. Car was gone from before Christmas until about January 7th.

I took a peek at their service paperwork and saw that they charged back Honda just over $58k for the work. This was enough to scare me from ever fully purchasing a fuel cell in the future. If the fuel cell stack can go out just like that at 15,000 miles and cost essentially the original MSRP, then this may not be the type of technology to buy yet. Good thing the lease covers any issues like this one.

Car runs fine and I haven't noticed a range difference or any changes yet. Just happy that the warranty covered the expense.
There's a good reason that they've been nicknamed "fool cells".

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
657 Posts
A few years ago I applied for a lease fir a Clarity FCV. I had to prove there was an H2 fueling station close to home (1 5 miles away) or on my route to work (5 miles). I opted for the PHEV.
Our closest is in Fountain Valley (CA), at a Clean Energy Station, adjacent to the Orange County Water District. Probably four miles from my home. Even that close, I still wouldn't consider either the Clarity or Mirai FCEV.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts