Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Oklahoma, had to jump through hoops to get my new 2019 Clarity due to Honda’s decision to stop selling them here. My 2017 Volt was totaled last month after almost 3 years and 45k miles. We drove a Clarity on vacation and were really impressed with the extra space and comfort. Hopefully the cost / mile will come in close to what we had before but unless I’m missing something the data isn’t present at this point to ever know. I can’t find a single mention of KWh usage or MPGe. What gives? Does Honda feel this info is too complex for their customers?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have both a 2017 Volt LT and a 2018 Clarity Touring PHEV. The Clarity is slightly better than the Volt for overall efficiency. The Volt is a better driver's car and is a pure EV as long as you have battery available. The Clarity is by far the better passenger's car.

For more details take a look at my two threads:

https://www.clarityforum.com/forum/...707-2018-clarity-touring-vs-2017-volt-lt.html

https://www.clarityforum.com/forum/...clarity-phev-hunting-colorado-waterfalls.html

My impressions haven't changed that much from when I wrote those.

My only real complaint is Honda's paternalistic attitude towards its customers. I'm not talking about the dealerships, though I'm sure some are like this. I'm talking about Honda corporate and their refusal to publicly document little things like how far between oil changes (miles and/or distance), miles between tire rotations. These are all lumped together in their maintenance minder, which has the side effect of causing owners to pay for services they don't need.

In the Clarity PHEV's case, Honda has no public documentation on how the car handles ICE maintenance and gas maintenance. I've determined the Clarity does have an equivalent to the Volt's EMM and I suspect it has one for FMM as well, but I haven't had fuel in the tank that long.

·
Registered
712 Posts
About all you can do is keep track of how much you are charging, either with an EVSE that tracks charging time and amounts, or by manually logging it. Then when filling up with gas multiply the number of gallons of gas used by estimated MPG to determine the estimated number of miles that were driven on gas for the previous session. Then subtract that number from the odometer distance to determine the estimated number of miles that were driven EV. With all of that you can come with an MPGe estimate or miles per kWh which should at least be ballpark. Too much trouble for me, but some people have done this for one or two gas fillups to get an idea of consumption. Gasoline MPG can be determined by starting with 0 EV miles and a full tank of gas, then drive until the tank is 1/4 or whatever then fill up to determine how much gas was used for the number of miles. People who have done this usually say they get pretty close to the published mpg of 42, so without testing for yourself that is a reasonable number to use in estimates.

Volt really set the standard on how a PHEV should operate, too bad Honda didn't follow their lead. I am just more resigned to it, I enjoy all of the pluses of the car, and ignore or work around the quirks. I drove a Prius for eighteen years (two different ones) and meticulously tracked fuel consumption and mileage, I was disappointed at first that this really wasn't feasible with the Clarity, but in some ways it feels liberating not tracking things anymore and just driving the car. I rarely buy gasoline and have decided that's enough data for me :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
When I first got my 2018 Touring model last June I seem to recall an MPGe of 103, if memory serves. However, at 74 my memory is not always serviceable.

·
Registered
712 Posts
When I first got my 2018 Touring model last June I seem to recall an MPGe of 103, if memory serves. However, at 74 my memory is not always serviceable.
Not that I can remember either as I had to look it up, but 103 is highway MPGe for the Clarity Electric. City MPGe for the Clarity Electric is 126, combined is 114. For the PHEV they only publish combined city/highway which is 110 MPGe.

However I think Rex.plumlee was referring to information on the display screen. Or at least useful information, it does show MPG but that is based on all miles including miles driven EV so it is pretty much a meaningless number.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts