Honda Clarity Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just drove from southeastern Mississippi to north-central Pennsylvania, a total of 1216 miles, over two days. I left home with a full charge and drove the entire distance in HV mode. Using the Clarity's onboard metrics I averaged 49.4 mpg and the charge, on arrival, was 4 bars above the halfway point. The first day - across MS, AL, GA and into TN - was relatively level roads at 70 mph while the second day - up TN, VA, WVA, MD and PA - was almost entirely on Interstate 81 and quite hilly, with speeds ranging from 55-70, but mostly 65. I used ACC the entire distance and, as 81 is a trucking corridor, it was wonderfully useful.

I stopped for fuel whenever the low-fuel warning light came on - but the car never accepted more than 5.5 gallons. I did not keep a record of the exact amount of fuel added.

Clarity performed as expected: Never once did I feel as if it was lacking in power to climb the hills or maintain speed. Only once did I notice what I think was the engine adding torque to the drivetrain: There was a sustained increase in engine sound during a long, steep climb. Comfort was extraordinary - I tend to sit upright and did not miss the lack of additional lumbar support. ACC made the drive pretty much stress-free and I noticed that LKA seems to work best when one is driving in the right lane: Using it in the left lane led to far too many "road departure" warnings. Has anyone else noticed this?

I also noticed, for the first time, there there is a light under the shifter buttress, illuminating the storage area beneath. It's usually lost in the spread from the two tiny spotlights on the overhead console that lights the buttress, the cupholders and the laps of the driver and passenger.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Final figures

Just pulled back into my garage.

3208.3 total miles driven, mostly in HV mode: 48.4 mpg

Comment from Model 3 owner: "Wow, this is really comfortable! The ride is VERY smooth!"

Comment from bystander: "So this is and Insight?"

Comment from parking attendant in NYC: "Honda makes an electric?"

About 50 miles from home the "A01" warning came on - fewer than three months of ownership, just about 5K miles, but built in 11/2018 and sat on the dealer's lot for nine months. Any recommendations or advice?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Just pulled back into my garage.

3028.3 total miles driven, mostly in HV mode: 48.4 mpg

Comment from Model 3 owner: "Wow, this is really comfortable! The ride is VERY smooth!"

Comment from bystander: "So this is and Insight?"

Comment from parking attendant in NYC: "Honda makes an electric?"

About 50 miles from home the "A01" warning came on - fewer than three months of ownership, just about 5K miles, but built in 11/2018 and sat on the dealer's lot for nine months. Any recommendations or advice?
Did you arrive at home with any battery left, or for that matter at any location you could charge with any battery left?

When we told my younger son we had purchased a Clarity PHEV his comment was "I thought you could only lease the Clarity."

The A01 is because the oil has been in the car for a year. You have two options - get the oil changed or reset the reminder. If it were my car I'd go ahead and change the oil and oil filter. Put a good full synthetic oil in there. You have 3,000 miles on your ICE and this is a good time to get rid of any metal filings left over from the ICE manufacturing.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you arrive at home with any battery left, or for that matter at any location you could charge with any battery left?

The A01 is because the oil has been in the car for a year.
Just as in the drive north, I started with a full charge and arrived with about 2/3 charge - the only time on the long, 2-day each way journey that I used EV was getting off the Interstate for fuel, lunch or lodging. I was never near a Level 2 charger: Not at my motels or while eating.

I stopped at the local Honda dealership today (the one that refused to get me a Clarity but said they could service one if I got it somewhere else) and asked about the A01. They took it right in and charged me $70.31 (USD) for the oil change, rotation, fluid top-ups and new wiper blades, although they had to order them because they don't have that size in stock - I'll have to go back Monday or Tuesday. Took them about 45 minutes with .7 hours of labor.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Just as in the drive north, I started with a full charge and arrived with about 2/3 charge - the only time on the long, 2-day each way journey that I used EV was getting off the Interstate for fuel, lunch or lodging. I was never near a Level 2 charger: Not at my motels or while eating.
I ask if I can use a 120 volt outlet and charge overnight.

I stopped at the local Honda dealership today (the one that refused to get me a Clarity but said they could service one if I got it somewhere else) and asked about the A01. They took it right in and charged me $70.31 (USD) for the oil change, rotation, fluid top-ups and new wiper blades, although they had to order them because they don't have that size in stock - I'll have to go back Monday or Tuesday. Took them about 45 minutes with .7 hours of labor.
For what they did you got a good price. However, you should not have had to pay for the wiper blades (<12,000 miles) and you didn't need a tire rotation. I'd be interested to know what fluids they topped off - the only one that should have been low is the washer fluid. Everything else is "sealed."

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Neither motel had any exterior 120 outlets - I wrote in advance to check. As the car sat in the hot Louisiana sun for nine months I thought it wise to let them rotate the tires, just to even-out the wear. The same for the wiper blades - which ARE covered under warranty and which did NOT arrive today, as promised. The washer fluid was low and they added a bit of coolant to the reservoir. Fluids and rotation were included in the "prix fixe" A01 service.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts