Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Clarity PHEV 2018 Non-Touring
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've soft-bricked my head unit, and don't have access to the menu. It'll boot past the logo, but only loads the BGI and a small sliver of the rear AV feed across the top — buttons and touches are unresponsive — and then restarts after a minute or so. I've tried booting into safe-mode (assuming it's the same as standard method for 4.2.2), but no joy. Any manual bypass/workaround? Or way to boot into recovery instead?

·
Registered
616 Posts
You can try a 12V reset. Remove the negative terminal from the 12V battery for a couple of minutes or so then reconnect. When you turn on the car you will have a bunch of ominous warnings about ABS and several others but that's normal and those messages go away within the first mile of driving.

I'm guessing you got into this using Honda Hack? Some people use Honda Hack with no problems but I had lockups similar to yours so I removed it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, I do have HH installed but I was messing around with the config values for the Settings UI.

Thanks for the heads up on that, I've actually done that before but wasn't sure if there was a more direct method through the head unit itself that I wasn't aware of.

·
Registered
616 Posts
You don't need Honda Hack installed to get into the settings UI? Is this the menus you get into by pressing brightness and a couple other buttons at the same time? I've gone in there but didn't do anything other than look around

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You don't need Honda Hack installed to get into the settings UI? Is this the menus you get into by pressing brightness and a couple other buttons at the same time? I've gone in there but didn't do anything other than look around
No, I was referring to actual config data files stored in the root sub-directories. You can view them without super user, but you need root to modify the actual values, and HH is probably still the easiest and fastest method that I know of to obtain root.

The menu modifier utility you're thinking of is in one of the diagnostic sub-menus, and deals purely with visual overlays and menu color values. I've checked it out before and it's definitely neat, but would be astronomically impractical to actually use for any major cosmetic work (likely much more viable to modify from a PC and re-import it, assuming you can identify each entry against it's corresponding screen element).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've just verified 12V reset did not work, or actually even wipe the head unit. It did reset some dash settings, but the head unit itself remains the same.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Not meaning to hijack the thread and change the subject but it is related, I think. It’s a very minor thing but sometimes the song data (name/artist) does not update when successive songs play on SiriusXM. The display says something like “No Data”. If I change the station and then come back to where I was, the data will update properly and show the song and artist. My question is, is there a way to reset the SiriusXM part without resetting the entire head unit as would happen if you disconnected/reconnected the 12v battery?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not meaning to hijack the thread and change the subject but it is related, I think. It’s a very minor thing but sometimes the song data (name/artist) does not update when successive songs play on SiriusXM. The display says something like “No Data”. If I change the station and then come back to where I was, the data will update properly and show the song and artist. My question is, is there a way to reset the SiriusXM part without resetting the entire head unit as would happen if you disconnected/reconnected the 12v battery?
I don't personally use SXM, but I know there's at least one (maybe two) sub-menus in the diagnostics menu that pertain to SXM. You can check them out to see if anything relevant is in there? The menu is accessible by holding the Audio+Menu+Brightness keys, then after hitting the upper menu selection, there's an additional hidden menu you access by holding down the menu key. This is off the top of my head though, so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just as an update, I read in the EV forums that the 12V reset needs around 10 mins to work as intended in this case, as the DC battery can continue to power the head unit after the battery pull. I'll try again later tonight to see if I can get it to work!

By any chance, does anyone know if ADB backup/restore works?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope, waited 10 minutes but unit still did not fully reset. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Disconnected for two hours, didn't work. After that, I even removed the head unit completely (removed panel, removed mounting screws, disconnected the grey and blue headers), but still couldn't get the anti-theft power loss screen to come up. What in the world is going on??

·
Registered
616 Posts
If you somehow had access to another Clarity I wonder if you could ADB backup its configuration files to a USB drive then restore them onto your car. Unless you can only restore to the same serial number unit.

The hard part would be finding someone willing to let you backup their system. Too bad you can't rent a Clarity for one day like you can rent a Prius.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wonder if you could ADB backup its configuration files to a USB drive then restore them onto your car.
Been wondering the same thing myself! I tried posting about it, but no replies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts