Honda Clarity Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Clarity Touring
325 Posts
I saw where someone was going to do that but they never came back to us with the results.

I have mixed feelings about this. I am somewhat skeptical that EV's and hybrids are any more dangerous to pedestrians than the typical modern gasoline car which can also be extremely quiet at low speeds. I wonder if there were actual studies done, or did someone just invent a problem that doesn't exist.

As for enforcement, that seems nearly impossible. How exactly is a police officer going to know if the sound has been disabled? Actually how are they even supposed to know which cars require it since it is only mandated on newer cars. So does a police officer say to themselves, "Hey that's a 2019 Accord hybrid pulling up to the light, it's supposed to have pedestrian alert." They then roll down their window and listen as the Accord drives slowly past them. Hearing only the tires squealing they turn on their flashers and pull the offender over.

As for if a pedestrian is hit by a car, even if the lawyer or insurance company suspects that the warning was disabled (which would be one in a million), how do they prove that? They would have to impound the car. Presumably by then the owner will have reconnected the speaker.

I'm not advocating one way or another, if this saves lives then I guess we can put up with a little bit of noise. But if there is no evidence for it then it's less of a concern.
I have to say I pretty much agree with you on all of that. My noisemaker still makes noise as it always has. A little annoying sometimes but I haven’t disabled it. I think the noise is actually louder than most ICE cars at idle speed or slightly faster. I have been in parking lots where I couldn’t hear the engine of a car that was backing out or one that was coming up behind me but you can definitely hear the Clarity!

·
Registered
2018 PHEV Touring Atlanta, GA
1,080 Posts
I have to say I pretty much agree with you on all of that. My noisemaker still makes noise as it always has. A little annoying sometimes but I haven’t disabled it. I think the noise is actually louder than most ICE cars at idle speed or slightly faster. I have been in parking lots where I couldn’t hear the engine of a car that was backing out or one that was coming up behind me but you can definitely hear the Clarity!
What year is your car? They apparently increased the volume starting with the 2020 model in order to proactively be in compliance with some pending legislation.

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
548 Posts
What year is your car? They apparently increased the volume starting with the 2020 model in order to proactively be in compliance with some pending legislation.
My '21 sounds like there's a choir, all signing the same note. It's fairly loud, for that kind of thing. Certainly louder than my '21 Bolt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We had a 2020 model that was very loud (choir of angles sound). It was totaled in an accident. We just got a 2019 model and the warning noise is way quieter. If you want to override the system there are likely two options. Unplug the speaker and bridge the leads with an 8ohm resister. There may be a second option. Some models had a "turn off button" (Canada models) that was built into the control module. Manufacturers don't make multiple versions of these modules. A similar situation existed with our Leaf. Early models had a button to turn off the warning sounds. In later models they simply did not install the button. Someone posted instructions on how to take advantage of this on Leafs and we installed it. Basically you find the module, determine which pin used to be wired to the button, solder a wire to that pin (easy to do from inside the module), and wire that to a little trigger device that you can get cheaply online. When the car is powered on the trigger device momentarily grounds the wire to the control module thus sending the same signal as pressing the button. I can't confirm that this approach would work on a Clarity but one could check the part numbers for the control module for both an early Canada model and your model. If they are the same, that button functionality will be there.

·
Registered
2020 Clarity Touring
325 Posts
We had a 2020 model that was very loud (choir of angles sound). It was totaled in an accident. We just got a 2019 model and the warning noise is way quieter. If you want to override the system there are likely two options. Unplug the speaker and bridge the leads with an 8ohm resister. There may be a second option. Some models had a "turn off button" (Canada models) that was built into the control module. Manufacturers don't make multiple versions of these modules. A similar situation existed with our Leaf. Early models had a button to turn off the warning sounds. In later models they simply did not install the button. Someone posted instructions on how to take advantage of this on Leafs and we installed it. Basically you find the module, determine which pin used to be wired to the button, solder a wire to that pin (easy to do from inside the module), and wire that to a little trigger device that you can get cheaply online. When the car is powered on the trigger device momentarily grounds the wire to the control module thus sending the same signal as pressing the button. I can't confirm that this approach would work on a Clarity but one could check the part numbers for the control module for both an early Canada model and your model. If they are the same, that button functionality will be there.
That’s an interesting idea! Does anyone have a schematic of the Canadian version?

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
548 Posts
I really, REALLY want to change the sound to the Jetson's car sound...

Because I'm old, and I find that amusingly fun.
I'm not recommending this, but for an electronics tinkerer, it probably wouldn't be all that difficult.

Disconnect the speaker, and replace it with an adequately rated 8 ohm resistor. Feed the existing signal from the resistor to a high-impedance input on an Arduino or Raspberry Pi Single Board Computer (SBC). Use this signal as a trigger to cause the SBC to output a sound file (the Jetson's car) to a small audio amp board that then feeds the existing speaker. You could even use some kind of rotary switch in the cabin to feed other inputs on the SBC to select a variety of sound files. You'd have to heavily filter all inputs to the SBC, as the electrical environment in a vehicle is notoriously noisy.

Good luck finding a Pi, though. They're basically unobtainium right now.

You won't find something like this for sale (legally) on the market, for the reasons outlined above.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts