Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a couple months I'll be at the end of the original 3 yr/36,000 mile warranty on my 2018 Clarity Touring. I put about 12,000 miles/yr on the car. I've never bought an extended warranty for any car I've owned, but given the expense I've seen for some repairs I've seen for the Clarity am strongly considering it. When I bought the Clarity in 2018 I always planned to own it 8 years, when the battery warranty ran out (I don't live in CA). That's still the plan, as we love the car and it's serving the purpose we bought it for. When I discussed options at my Honda dealer, the warranty guy there recommended that I go with extended warranty coverage administered by CNA National, rather than HondaCare. He said the CNA policy covers more items, and you can get it up to 150,000, and HondaCare doesn't offer that. Repairs are also not limited to Honda dealers/shops. He was recommending CNA so strongly it made me a little suspicious and I asked him if he gets a larger commission for selling CNA policies, and he said no. He then started listing the names of all the guys who work at that Honda dealership which carry the CNA policy. I'm thinking of getting an extended warranty for an additional 5 years/up to 100,000, which would get me to my 8 year target -- price I was quoted was $2,283+tax.

Wondering if anyone out there has experience with CNA? Any recs to be aware of with an extended warranty?

·
Registered
45 Posts
How do you know someone at a dealership isn’t possibly telling you the whole truth? Their lips move.

My two experiences with warranties:

1) got one on a used car purchase because I could tell on the test drive it would need work later on. That work wasn’t covered in the fine print. The good news was I got a 100% refund as it was under 30 days from purchase.
2) got one for my then new and unknown C-Max Energi. Car has been reliable as a hammer. Never used before it expired.

Warranties are basically insurance policies and as such are written by the house so that the house wins overall. I would also check to make sure it covers hybrid components or doesn’t exclude them. I find it best to check the exclusions section first (typically not easy to find) when shopping.

·
Registered
699 Posts
People who have purchased Honda Care seem to be pretty happy with it and find that it's pretty seamless getting covered items taken care of. When you take your car in for repair the dealer's system shows that it is under Honda Care warranty so there is no out of pocket for covered expenses. With other warranties you have to pay out of pocket for the repair, then attempt to get reimbursed, and that's the part that you hear bad stories about as the less reputable warranty companies try to get out of paying, or they make the owner jump through a bunch of hoops and submit a bunch of paperwork to get reimbursed.

Honda Care doesn't cover exactly everything that the original 3 yr / 36 k warranty covers, but I would think that's true with other extended warranties also.

Most people get a much better price purchasing Honda Care online rather than at their local dealer. Hyannis Honda is a popular one that sells online, although there are others, you can get a free quote from them. Oftentimes dealers will match the online price if you tell them you are going that route.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
People who have purchased Honda Care seem to be pretty happy with it and find that it's pretty seamless getting covered items taken care of. When you take your car in for repair the dealer's system shows that it is under Honda Care warranty so there is no out of pocket for covered expenses. With other warranties you have to pay out of pocket for the repair, then attempt to get reimbursed, and that's the part that you hear bad stories about as the less reputable warranty companies try to get out of paying, or they make the owner jump through a bunch of hoops and submit a bunch of paperwork to get reimbursed.

Honda Care doesn't cover exactly everything that the original 3 yr / 36 k warranty covers, but I would think that's true with other extended warranties also.

Most people get a much better price purchasing Honda Care online rather than at their local dealer. Hyannis Honda is a popular one that sells online, although there are others, you can get a free quote from them. Oftentimes dealers will match the online price if you tell them you are going that route.
Thanks for the input. I did check and the CNA plan is like HondaCare in that I would pay nothing out-of-pocket and then have to worry about reimbursement -- they pay the repair shop directly. While I have the CNA brochure which includes some detail, I suspect what I'm going to have to do is get the small print detail of both HondaCare and CNA plans and compare, with a focus on headlamps and other expensive items on the Clarity.
How do you know someone at a dealership isn’t possibly telling you the whole truth? Their lips move.

My two experiences with warranties:

1) got one on a used car purchase because I could tell on the test drive it would need work later on. That work wasn’t covered in the fine print. The good news was I got a 100% refund as it was under 30 days from purchase.
2) got one for my then new and unknown C-Max Energi. Car has been reliable as a hammer. Never used before it expired.

Warranties are basically insurance policies and as such are written by the house so that the house wins overall. I would also check to make sure it covers hybrid components or doesn’t exclude them. I find it best to check the exclusions section first (typically not easy to find) when shopping.
Thanks for your input. I did check the CNA exclusion list and it was pretty predictable and not very long: brakes, rotors, belts, speakers, exhaust system and catalytic converter, filters, fuses, glass, plugs & plug wires, chassis frame, wheels & wheel covers, and battery. Also provides $100/day reimbursement for hotel/meals if stranded due to covered breakdown more than 100 miles from home.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I did check and the CNA plan is like HondaCare in that I would pay nothing out-of-pocket and then have to worry about reimbursement -- they pay the repair shop directly.
I'm guessing that this is true only at participating shops? In other words you can take your car to any shop, but if the shop is outside of their "network" then you pay the shop directly and get reimbursed. Again I'm just guessing that's how it works, but if so then you probably would want a list of participating shops in your area to get an idea of where you would be taking your car.

Also I guessing that if you take your car to a non-participating shop CNA will only cover a particular repair up to a certain price, if the shop charges more than that then you would have to pay the difference. Maybe it doesn't work that way, but that is what I would check into.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm guessing that this is true only at participating shops? In other words you can take your car to any shop, but if the shop is outside of their "network" then you pay the shop directly and get reimbursed. Again I'm just guessing that's how it works, but if so then you probably would want a list of participating shops in your area to get an idea of where you would be taking your car.

Also I guessing that if you take your car to a non-participating shop CNA will only cover a particular repair up to a certain price, if the shop charges more than that then you would have to pay the difference. Maybe it doesn't work that way, but that is what I would check into.
Good point. CNA boasts their network includes "thousands of licensed repair facilities throughout the US & Canada", where payment is made directly with no need for me to get reimbursement. The implication I got from the Honda staffperson I talked with is that HondaCare only pays directly for work done at Honda dealerships, which was a big advantage of the CNA plan...but I'll have to double-check that. My main concern is those times once/twice a year when we take long road trips through more desolate parts of the Western states where Honda dealers are few and far between.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Upon further discussion with the guy at my local Honda dealer, he confirmed that HondaCare will NOT pay for any repair work done outside of a Honda dealer. Also that HondaCare does not cover shocks, struts, & tie-rods; CNA does. So I'm looking over the fine print of the CNA plan now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Upon further discussion with the guy at my local Honda dealer, he confirmed that HondaCare will NOT pay for any repair work done outside of a Honda dealer. Also that HondaCare does not cover shocks, struts, & tie-rods; CNA does. So I'm looking over the fine print of the CNA plan now.
Will appreciate hearing back from you after you’ve performed all your due diligence and made your decision. I’m coming up on three years of ownership of my Clarity this November and will be facing this same “fish or cut bait” decision as well. You are raising all the right questions and giving me a lot to consider.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts