Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have a 2021 PHEV Clarity. We have had it since August of 2021. We charge it every night since my wife's work commute is about 28 miles (total). Every morning, my wife jots down some info about her mileage including the estimated range (EV only and total). She told me that she has noticed that the estimated range was lower than compared to a year ago. I took the data from her logbook and plotted it in an Excel spreadsheet. Sure as Hell, she was right.....there is a marked difference in the range from 2021 compared to 2022. On average, the range for a date in 2022 was 12.4% less than the same date last year (2021).

Before I go to my Honda dealer and ask questions, has anyone else seen this? Email me off line ([email protected]) if you have had the same issue so we can compare notes.

Dayle

·
Registered
32 Posts
Seems that you are pretty involved in the status of your cars (as I am). You will not know anything until you buy and OBD reader and checke how many Kwhs your battery has decreased. The battery comes from the factory at around 55Kwh's. Mine is a 2018 with 48K miles and I'm sitting around 46Kwh's. From the information on all of the Clarity forums, it seems Honda will not address the battery and range until it hits 36.6Kwhs or a 33% reduction. The range number has many variables and can't really tell you what's going on with your battery.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is not a temperature related issue…..I live in MI….its been cold for a while now and it gets cold every year. When I graphed the data, you could clearly see that the data from each year was off set. This tells me that there has been a decline in the battery‘s performance. I will try and post the graph (chart) so folks can see my data.

I’ll borrow a friends OPBDII unit and check out the battery’s capability before taking it to the Honda dealer.

·
Super Moderator
659 Posts
This is not a temperature related issue…..I live in MI….its been cold for a while now and it gets cold every year. When I graphed the data, you could clearly see that the data from each year was off set. This tells me that there has been a decline in the battery‘s performance. I will try and post the graph (chart) so folks can see my data.

I’ll borrow a friends OPBDII unit and check out the battery’s capability before taking it to the Honda dealer.
Can you tell us how much cabin heating is used during the past 12 months ?

Cabin heating draws the most energy out of the batteries.

A/C on the other hand draws some but not as heavily.

My wife who has been blasting the A/C over the summer drops the range down to under 35 miles per charge.

Now that it's cooler and no need for heating nor A/C, our range is back up to around 45 miles (down from 55) due to tire change (RFT).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the chart from the Excel spreadsheet. The orange data for 2021 is markedly higher than the blue data for 2022. Both bend down (lower) as the temps drop here in Michigan. Yes, there are blips up and down based on temp fluctuations (just as daily weather differences are different from climate change) but you can see the trend I'm trying to point out.

As for heater use, my wife is the sole driver of the car and she uses the heater the same way based on the ambient temperature. As such, this variable isn't a part of the equation.

My plan is to let a friend who has an OBDII unit connect to the car this Saturday so I have some data before heading to the Honda dealer.
Rectangle Slope Plot Line Font

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
702 Posts
Can you tell us how much cabin heating is used during the past 12 months ?

Cabin heating draws the most energy out of the batteries.

A/C on the other hand draws some but not as heavily.

My wife who has been blasting the A/C over the summer drops the range down to under 35 miles per charge.

Now that it's cooler and no need for heating nor A/C, our range is back up to around 45 miles (down from 55) due to tire change (RFT).
"Cabin heating draws the most energy out of the batteries."

You might want to rephrase that...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Here's the chart from the Excel spreadsheet. The orange data for 2021 is markedly higher than the blue data for 2022. Both bend down (lower) as the temps drop here in Michigan. Yes, there are blips up and down based on temp fluctuations (just as daily weather differences are different from climate change) but you can see the trend I'm trying to point out.

As for heater use, my wife is the sole driver of the car and she uses the heater the same way based on the ambient temperature. As such, this variable isn't a part of the equation.

My plan is to let a friend who has an OBDII unit connect to the car this Saturday so I have some data before heading to the Honda dealer.
View attachment 1175
No disputing that graph, makes one wonder if there is a typical drop in miles on a battery pack in the first year.
I got my 2018 Clarity in March of 2020 with 17000 miles, so I did not experience that.
I now have 75000 miles on the car and have not noticed a decline since I owned it.

The graph indicates a narrowing of range around 10/31 for the 2 years with a fairly steep widening for the last month.

Still wondering if the cold snap we had this year is contributing to that steep decline?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts