Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the price of gasoline has gotten so expensive I’m wondering if I should use only ethanol-free fuel due to that fact that I can usually do my short distance driving without needing to by gas for weeks. Since ethanol absorbs water I’m thinking it best to avoid it when there may extended time between fillips. Fuel stabilizer is probably also a good idea?

·
Registered
464 Posts
You can go up to the 15% Ethanol (page 451 of the owners manual) safely. The benefits of pure gasoline vs. E15 are still up for debate so I'm not going there. However, don't use fuel stabilizers in any modern car.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Plus, the tank is very well sealed, so gasoline aging (and moisture absorption) shouldn't be as much a problem as it was a few decades ago.
And under pressure to keep moisture out should a seal develop a slow leak.

Reactions: 4sallypat

·
Registered
170 Posts
Since the price of gasoline has gotten so expensive I’m wondering if I should use only ethanol-free fuel due to that fact that I can usually do my short distance driving without needing to by gas for weeks. Since ethanol absorbs water I’m thinking it best to avoid it when there may extended time between fillips. Fuel stabilizer is probably also a good idea?
In my area almost all of the gasoline is mixed with ethanol and I have gone months without running the ICE. We’ve also had a pretty humid spring & summer but no problems here. When the ICE does start up after sitting idle for months it seems to do alright.

·
Registered
170 Posts
In my area almost all of the gasoline is mixed with ethanol and I have gone months without running the ICE. We’ve also had a pretty humid spring & summer but no problems here. When the ICE does start up after sitting idle for months it seems to do alright.
I’ve had a full tank since June 7th. I’ll post here when I do finally fire up the ICE, presumably sometime this fall or winter.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I’ve had a full tank since June 7th. I’ll post here when I do finally fire up the ICE, presumably sometime this fall or winter.
Are you certain that the ICE never runs?

I find that mine fires up occasionally when I push the pedal a little too hard to stay in EV-only mode. (I typically drive in Sport mode with regen maxed.) One example is making a turn into a rare space in heavy traffic, and accelerating quickly so as to not impact an approaching vehicle. I'll then glance at the Driver Info display to see if I was able to stay in EV-only mode. If I didn't specifically check it, I wouldn't otherwise notice the tiny bit of up-to-down motion on the Driver Info display showing that the ICE was running. It then runs for a couple of minutes. The gas tank display will continue to show "Full" after many such events.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Are you certain that the ICE never runs?

I find that mine fires up occasionally when I push the pedal a little too hard to stay in EV-only mode. (I typically drive in Sport mode with regen maxed.) One example is making a turn into a rare space in heavy traffic, and accelerating quickly so as to not impact an approaching vehicle. I'll then glance at the Driver Info display to see if I was able to stay in EV-only mode. If I didn't specifically check it, I wouldn't otherwise notice the tiny bit of up-to-down motion on the Driver Info display showing that the ICE was running. It then runs for a couple of minutes. The gas tank display will continue to show "Full" after many such events.
Nope. I drive like a granny most of the time and with the windows rolled down. Never heard the ICE start up since June. I live in a fairly quiet town that doesn’t have a lot of traffic either. I also drive in ECO mode which, I believe, would require the accelerator pedal to “click” before starting the ICE.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I also sometimes go multiple months without buying gas and for this reason I run non-ethanol fuel almost exclusively. I say almost because if I know I'm going to be taking a road trip long enough to burn through a tank quickly (maybe once or twice a year) then I'll fill up with the cheap ethanol blended stuff. I don't like ethanol blended fuel in any application where the gas sits for a long time. My local Fleet Farm carries an ethanol-free mid-grade (89 octane) that is only 20 cents more than the 87 octane E10 blend. With the small amount of fuel I buy for the Clarity, the added expense is trivial.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I also sometimes go multiple months without buying gas and for this reason I run non-ethanol fuel almost exclusively. I say almost because if I know I'm going to be taking a road trip long enough to burn through a tank quickly (maybe once or twice a year) then I'll fill up with the cheap ethanol blended stuff. I don't like ethanol blended fuel in any application where the gas sits for a long time. My local Fleet Farm carries an ethanol-free mid-grade (89 octane) that is only 20 cents more than the 87 octane E10 blend. With the small amount of fuel I buy for the Clarity, the added expense is trivial.
I agree with you on ethanol-blended fuel. I’m not a big fan of it. But with a sealed gas tank I’m not too worried about contamination. And with the Clarity it’s usually a full tank. Anyway, I may take it on the road sometime the next month and I’ll see how well the blended has has aged over the last five months.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts