Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
487 Posts
It's normal for the ICE to turn on when driving in EV mode.
The internals of the ICE needs to run in order to ensure that the 1.5L engine does not seize up.
HV and HV Charge mode of course the ICE is on.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Does it stay on or is this just an occasional issue?

·
Registered
141 Posts
It sounds like it’s on the whole time until I slow down to 25mph. The indicator does not say the engine is on.
If your engine is running all the time above 25 mph when you have a charged EV battery then you have a problem. And that could be what’s causing your reduced range. You should be able to accelerate up to highway speed without engaging the ICE.

·
Registered
433 Posts
It sounds like it’s on the whole time until I slow down to 25mph. The indicator does not say the engine is on.
Is the "EV" indicator on? When it's off the ICE engine is on. When the "EV" indicator is on you're in pure EV mode.

·
Registered
729 Posts
It sounds like it’s on the whole time until I slow down to 25mph.
Is this something that happens every time you drive the car? Or does it just happen occasionally? There are circumstance when the engine will come on even when driving in EV, and once the engine is on it will stay on for several minutes until it warms up. But it shouldn't happen every time you drive the car. If you will give us a little more information about how often it happens we can have a better idea whether what you are experiencing is normal or not.

The indicator does not say the engine is on.
Not sure what do you mean by "the indicator". There is an EV indicator on the instrument panel which indicates when the engine is off. There is the power circle on the instrument panel which is all gray when the engine is on. There is the energy display on the infotainment screen which has an icon of the engine which is illuminated when the engine is on, and grayed out when the engine is off. If you can tell us what you are looking at it will help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I just came back from the service and told that it’s normal. The tech said that the engine needs to get prime so when the engine needs to assist it’s on. I just never heard it that strong. So that’s it folks.
I was telling my wife it might be my new tires lol. Well folks thanks a lot for all the help and info. I’ll keep you guys posted with my Honda Clarity adventure over two years running and still strong.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Well I just came back from the service and told that it’s normal. The tech said that the engine needs to get prime so when the engine needs to assist it’s on. I just never heard it that strong. So that’s it folks.
I was telling my wife it might be my new tires lol. Well folks thanks a lot for all the help and info. I’ll keep you guys posted with my Honda Clarity adventure over two years running and still strong.
You just ran into the same misinformation I did when I asked about how the Clarity handles old gas in the tank. They seem to think this car is a standard hybrid and that the engine is constantly being pulled into the drivetrain for power. It's not.

On your dashboard, there is an EV indicator that is on whenever the ICE is off. When you're in Hybrid Vehicle (HV) mode this shows HV. When in EV mode but the gas engine is running it's missing.
Reflex camera Camera lens Camera accessory Automotive design Gauge

Reactions: Madmartigen

·
Registered
141 Posts
You just ran into the same misinformation I did when I asked about how the Clarity handles old gas in the tank. They seem to think this car is a standard hybrid and that the engine is constantly being pulled into the drivetrain for power. It's not.

On your dashboard, there is an EV indicator that is on whenever the ICE is off. When you're in Hybrid Vehicle (HV) mode this shows HV. When in EV mode but the gas engine is running it's missing. View attachment 814
Yeah, my engine hasn’t run for months.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yeah, my engine hasn’t run for months.
The ICE in my wife's Clarity runs for a few minutes every four to six weeks. This would be in-line with an Engine Maintenance cycle. That's how I figured out that there's an undocumented mode on the dash where you're not in HV nor in EV, but rather in EV with the ICE running. Excess power is fed into the battery.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The ICE in my wife's Clarity runs for a few minutes every four to six weeks. This would be in-line with an Engine Maintenance cycle. That's how I figured out that there's an undocumented mode on the dash where you're not in HV nor in EV, but rather in EV with the ICE running. Excess power is fed into the battery.
That’s interesting. I imagine that the determination to run the engine is based upon various factors. I will say that I’ve seen it happen on rare occasions. We’re coming up on one year of ownership and have put a little less than 4,000 miles on the Clarity. Perhaps when it is driven less then the engine also runs less. The last time I heard the engine run was back in June when I was on the highway.

We have a Chrysler Pacifica PHEV and sometimes it is difficult to tell when the ICE runs because it’s such a quiet car. However, I believe I can always hear the Clarity ICE when it runs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This was happening to me on my daily 4 mile commute to work which really infruriated me coming from a superior EV mindset of a GM EV. I was told to keep it in ECO the entire time and don't mash the accelarator past the detent and it will stay in EV mode. Worked for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Even though the dealer said that it’s normal, I’ve been driving this car for over 2 years and I know when the engine is on or not. It wasn’t like this before. On EV mode only, the engine turn on around 25mph. I’ll test it later if it’ll stay EV the whole time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts