Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new owner. Former Volt owner. I have noticed that the HV range appears "stuck" it stays at 115 miles HV range. The electric range seems accurate but amazingly high electric mile range, today it read 57 EV miles available. I had a 60 mile trip today, so I used the odometer just to see. In a combination of city and ihghway driving I got 56 miles according to the odometer. I assumed it never used any gas because it was not in HV mode.

Any one else with similar experience.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am a new owner. Former Volt owner. I have noticed that the HV range appears "stuck" it stays at 115 miles HV range. The electric range seems accurate but amazingly high electric mile range, today it read 57 EV miles available. I had a 60 mile trip today, so I used the odometer just to see. In a combination of city and ihghway driving I got 56 miles according to the odometer. I assumed it never used any gas because it was not in HV mode.

Any one else with similar experience.
I have a 2020 with only about 1200 miles on it or so. As long as the outside temperature is above 45 degrees or so (give or take), My EV range shows as somewhere between 50 and 65 miles. Now I don’t usually drive the full 50-65 miles in a day but I watch the remaining range in relation to actual miles driven. I add the two numbers to see if I get the same answer over the course of the day. As you deplete EV range, in theory, you should add just as many miles to the odometer so if the calculations are correct you should be able to add those two numbers and (roughly) come up with the same number as you use up your EV range. And for the most part, it does work out pretty close to that so I assume that I would get the full 50-65 miles on a 100% charge. About the only time I deplete the battery in a single day is when I drive on the highway for a good amount of distance. However, on the days I do this, the number generally decreases some. This just appears to tell me that the Clarity is more efficient around town where I’m driving slower with less wind resistance (drag in terms that Boston Pilot better understands). So I would say 56 miles is entirely possible in pure EV mode with a combination of city/highway driving as you’ve done. Maybe the reason your HV range is stuck on 115 miles is that you haven’t run the gas engine much if at all nor filled the gas tank recently. I think after you get some more HV miles under your belt you should see that number go up to close to or over 300 when the gas tank is full.

·
Super Moderator
474 Posts
Yes, the HV range is your fuel (ICE) range.

When my 2018 PHEV is full of fuel + charged battery I get 425 miles of total range.
But then my EV range is a bit higher than others especially in the cold months which we don't have in Southern California.

During the work week, the HV never changes because it's on EV all the time.

When we drive distance and the ICE kicks in, then the HV drops.

Luckily it's only a 7 gallon tank!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 2020 with only about 1200 miles on it or so. As long as the outside temperature is above 45 degrees or so (give or take), My EV range shows as somewhere between 50 and 65 miles. Now I don’t usually drive the full 50-65 miles in a day but I watch the remaining range in relation to actual miles driven. I add the two numbers to see if I get the same answer over the course of the day. As you deplete EV range, in theory, you should add just as many miles to the odometer so if the calculations are correct you should be able to add those two numbers and (roughly) come up with the same number as you use up your EV range. And for the most part, it does work out pretty close to that so I assume that I would get the full 50-65 miles on a 100% charge. About the only time I deplete the battery in a single day is when I drive on the highway for a good amount of distance. However, on the days I do this, the number generally decreases some. This just appears to tell me that the Clarity is more efficient around town where I’m driving slower with less wind resistance (drag in terms that Boston Pilot better understands). So I would say 56 miles is entirely possible in pure EV mode with a combination of city/highway driving as you’ve done. Maybe the reason your HV range is stuck on 115 miles is that you haven’t run the gas engine much if at all nor filled the gas tank recently. I think after you get some more HV miles under your belt you should see that number go up to close to or over 300 when the gas tank is full.
Thanks so much for the detailed info!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I actually have no idea how long that gas has been in there as I have used very little since I bought the car which already had 6,000 mile son it from previous owner. I have read someone else say that when the HV guess-o-meter gets stuck that it will start working once your gas drops BELOW the stuck mileage, so I kept it in the HV setting and let it sip gas away, and sure enough today, that is what happened, once it got down to about 3 gallons it started operating properly and supposedly, now when I fill it up it will show whatever 7 gallons gives you on a Honda. Thanks for confirming the 50+ miles, we have yet to get less than 52 EV miles on a full charge,,,,,and sometimes as high as 56. But I am in south Florida near the Everglades, we are flat as a pancake here.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your lucky,I will get much worse mine in down to 36miles on full charge 55degrees the winter below 28degrees I got 28 miles.Dealers are not really up on this car they say o-well there is no codes bye bye.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Your lucky,I will get much worse mine in down to 36miles on full charge 55degrees the winter below 28degrees I got 28 miles.Dealers are not really up on this car they say o-well there is no codes bye bye.
The HV battery will be replaced under warranty only if it has lost 33% or more of the original capacity. However the only way to determine battery capacity for warranty purposes is to check an internal number called the Battery Pack Capacity. A new battery has a capacity of 55 Ah, so warranty replacement would occur if the Battery Pack Capacity drops below 36.6 Ah. You can ask the dealer to check this for you, I highly recommend don't just ask them verbally as they won't know what you are talking about, instead give them the attached screenshot which is from a Honda service bulletin, and ask them if they can check this number for you on your car. Some dealers will check this for free especially if the car is already in for other service.

I have not heard of any Clarities losing enough battery capacity to be replaced under warranty, at least not so far, so it's unlikely that yours has dropped low enough to be replaced but it doesn't hurt to check. It also would give you a reference point that you can compare to later if you have it checked again to see if it has lost any more capacity.

Product Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot

·
Registered
5 Posts
Below is what I had after charging to 100% before a road trip.

And this is how far it went on that charge. I was driving at the speed limit, between 55-60 mph, regen breaking all the time.

·
Registered
711 Posts
View attachment 590
And this is how far it went on that charge. I was driving at the speed limit, between 55-60 mph, regen breaking all the time.
View attachment 591
That looks like a good result. The real story however is in the odometer not the EV range, as that is just an estimate. We can see that you started out at 643 miles and ended at 691, which is 48 miles. It shows that you had an estimated 3.1 miles of EV left, and assuming that you were able to go another three miles on EV that would make a total of 51 miles of actual EV driving, which is pretty good at highway speeds. Outside temperature was 61 degrees during the trip so probably little if any use of the heater which helps.

Notice though that the EV range estimate started out at 53.3 miles and dropped down to 3.1 which is 50.2 miles, when the actual EV miles driven was 48. Pretty close but this demonstrates how the EV range is just an estimate and does not indicate actual EV miles driven. The only way to know your actual EV range is by using the odometer.

You don't have to do it every time, but every once in a while after you have fully charged make a note of the odometer reading, then when you get down to 0 EV miles see what the odometer reading is, then when you subtract the ending mileage from the beginning mileage that will tell you the actual number of miles that you drove in EV on that charge. To make it even easier you can use one of the trip odometers. The button for that is on the dash just behind the steering wheel. There are + and - buttons, those are for display brightness, but in between those is another button which is for the trip odometer. If you press it you can switch from regular odometer to Trip A and Trip B. When you are on either A or B, if you press and hold the middle button it resets the trip odometer to 0. So what you do is after fully charging, put it on for example Trip A, then press and hold the button to reset Trip A to zero. Then whenever you get to 0 EV miles, even if it's a few days later, if you are watching when it goes to 0 EV then can glance down at the trip odometer and whatever it says is how many actual EV miles that you drove on that charge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That looks like a good result. The real story however is in the odometer not the EV range, as that is just an estimate. We can see that you started out at 643 miles and ended at 691, which is 48 miles. It shows that you had an estimated 3.1 miles of EV left, and assuming that you were able to go another three miles on EV that would make a total of 51 miles of actual EV driving, which is pretty good at highway speeds. Outside temperature was 61 degrees during the trip so probably little if any use of the heater which helps.

Notice though that the EV range estimate started out at 53.3 miles and dropped down to 3.1 which is 50.2 miles, when the actual EV miles driven was 48. Pretty close but this demonstrates how the EV range is just an estimate and does not indicate actual EV miles driven. The only way to know your actual EV range is by using the odometer.

You don't have to do it every time, but every once in a while after you have fully charged make a note of the odometer reading, then when you get down to 0 EV miles see what the odometer reading is, then when you subtract the ending mileage from the beginning mileage that will tell you the actual number of miles that you drove in EV on that charge. To make it even easier you can use one of the trip odometers. The button for that is on the dash just behind the steering wheel. There are + and - buttons, those are for display brightness, but in between those is another button which is for the trip odometer. If you press it you can switch from regular odometer to Trip A and Trip B. When you are on either A or B, if you press and hold the middle button it resets the trip odometer to 0. So what you do is after fully charging, put it on for example Trip A, then press and hold the button to reset Trip A to zero. Then whenever you get to 0 EV miles, even if it's a few days later, if you are watching when it goes to 0 EV then can glance down at the trip odometer and whatever it says is how many actual EV miles that you drove on that charge.
We have a 2019, which we bought late DEC 2019 - we have close to 6500 miles after 15 months. We live in SoCal, so moderate temperature range. The first six months our EV range usually was around 48; varied between 45-52. The last year or so is seems to vary between 42-48. We have taken two major roadtrips (more than 250 mile round trip) where we had no convenient charge stations and was mostly on gas; the mpg on gas hybrid only averaged 50-56 on both trips.

·
Registered
123 Posts
View attachment 590
View attachment 591
Just a reminder. Re-gen braking does not necessarily improve efficiency if it’s used when it’s not needed. Any kind of braking ultimately decreases efficiency. It’s just that re-gen braking decreases it less. So, ultimately, driving the car as if you would never use the friction brakes or the re-gen brakes would yield the best efficiency. The past week I drove around town for some sixty miles in EV mode on a single charge and still had a few miles of range left. As mentioned, driving habits and good weather contribute greatly to the efficiency of the vehicle.

And improved it slightly a few days later:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts