Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the 3 year brake fluid change for the 2018 Clarity PHEV standard for Hondas? I ask because I've been a GM and Toyota guy for my entire life and they both have a five year brake fluid replacement cycle.

·
Super Moderator
557 Posts
Is the 3 year brake fluid change for the 2018 Clarity PHEV standard for Hondas? I ask because I've been a GM and Toyota guy for my entire life and they both have a five year brake fluid replacement cycle.
I recently had my 40,000 mile '18 Clarity PHEV into service due to the A17 maintenance minder message which Honda says to replace the brake fluid.

Mechanic inspected the brake fluid and found it was in very good condition (no moisture) and said replacement is not needed at this time.
He did adjust the brakes which helped restore the faster response / snappy.

He said maybe next year or the year after would the fluid be replaced...

Hope that helps....

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
476 Posts
I recently had my 40,000 mile '18 Clarity PHEV into service due to the A17 maintenance minder message which Honda says to replace the brake fluid.

Mechanic inspected the brake fluid and found it was in very good condition (no moisture) and said replacement is not needed at this time.
He did adjust the brakes which helped restore the faster response / snappy.

He said maybe next year or the year after would the fluid be replaced...

Hope that helps....
That's basically what my mechanics do. Inspect, and only recommend replacement based on brake fluid condition. A reputable shop will test it with a readily available (and cheap) test strip or other tester first. Heck, you can test it yourself using the same, or even with a multimeter.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hadn't looked into testing it myself. My Volt is five years old - time to check it as well. Off to Amazon; I'll put this in my annual checkup that I do before taking the car in for service.

Reactions: Madmartigen

·
Registered
2018, Honda, Clarity PHEV Touring
120 Posts
I replaced the brake fluid when it called for it with my son's help. There was some dark precipitate, so I'm glad I changed it when I did.. Your original question was whether other Hondas have similar intervals and I had no clue as the Clarity is our first and only Honda...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Amazon sells a test kit to see if your brake fluid and anti-freeze is good.

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
476 Posts
Amazon sells a test kit to see if your brake fluid and anti-freeze is good.
Interesting that the double-ended test strips do both.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts