Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Just got a wireless CarPlay adapter and it can do different things like youtube Netflix. the CarPlay system itself can not do it. but can piggyback the CarPlay interface in your vehicle. Bending the truth a little bit it's not really CarPlay because my phone's here but it's using the apple CarPlay interface and network for the media box to then jump in do what it needs to do with the apps through the play store so that you sort of have a roundabout way.

Watching live tv through the media box out on our 2018 Clarity runs perfectly and I've been the truth a little bit it's not apple CarPlay it's using the network as It allows you to watch live tv or download any apps from the google play store. This is super cool!

Here's the one. EDITED by MODERATOR

Besides, I found there's a wireless adapter coming with a phone cast of the tv screen, which means allowing cast YouTube to your car's display, but there's no google store.

The price is much more reasonable. Gonna place an order for my girlfriend, there's a coupon of 10% off, found from Deal. [Code: SMART10%]

EDITED by MODERATOR

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got a wireless CarPlay adapter and it can do different things like youtube Netflix. the CarPlay system itself can not do it. but can piggyback the CarPlay interface in your vehicle. Bending the truth a little bit it's not really CarPlay because my phone's here but it's using the apple CarPlay interface and network for the media box to then jump in do what it needs to do with the apps through the play store so that you sort of have a roundabout way.

Watching live tv through the media box out on our 2018 Clarity runs perfectly and I've been the truth a little bit it's not apple CarPlay it's using the network as It allows you to watch live tv or download any apps from the google play store. This is super cool!

Besides, I found there's a wireless adapter coming with a phone cast of the tv screen, which means allowing cast YouTube to your car's display, but there's no google store.

The price is much more reasonable. Gonna place an order for my girlfriend, there's a coupon of 10% off, found from Deal. [Code: SMART10%]

EDITED by MODERATOR

EDITED by MODERATOR
"I have used Carlinkit carplay adapter--U2W for over a year. It fit its purpose for me - wireless was important enough to me to overlook any negatives or shortcomings.
I have recently purchased the T-box. While it still has the latency issue (and I think any will) it has better hardware - faster CPU and more RAM and I have not had one hang or any other ill behavior. I am finding it definitely a “second generation” product when compared to the U2W."

·
Registered
1 Posts

EDITED by MODERATOR
a wireless dongle that support youtube? where you got it? how much?(I hope it should not exceed one hundred dollars, if it possible ) how long have you been using it? any issues have you encountered? can you share it to me? thank you !

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
545 Posts
a wireless dongle that support youtube? where you got it? how much?(I hope it should not exceed one hundred dollars, if it possible ) how long have you been using it? any issues have you encountered? can you share it to me? thank you !
That post you're responding to appeared to be an ad, so the mods removed the links.

If you do a search on the forum, you'll find multiple threads on the subject.

Better still, do a Google search. There are several options, and you can search for reviews on the specific ones. Do note that there are products that do Carplay that are not compatible with Android phones and Android Auto. There are also some that require modifying the software in the vehicle's infotainment system. Your $100 budget might be a limiting factor. Read specs very carefully before buying anything. Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
2018 PHEV Touring Atlanta, GA
1,080 Posts
Seems like there are a few different things people want to do. Some people want wireless just to avoid the hassle of plugging in their phone. I don't have iPhone but from what I have heard it's not that hard to get wireless Carplay to work on the Clarity, although I think you have to purchase a special adapter that plugs into the data USB port.

Adding YouTube likely requires more hacking since Apple doesn't support it as far as I know, so probably requires a hack on the phone itself, and probably requires installing HondaHack in order to install whatever software is needed in infotainment. I tried HondaHack in the past but had some lockup issues so I removed it. I don't blame HondaHack I think it's because our infotainment units are underpowered and using old technology.

Wireless Android Auto seems to also be more of a hack type installation on the Clarity.

Those who enjoy messing around with all of this might have some success. As for me I see trying to do anything with infotainment other than what is already built in, it's pretty much like trying to roll a boulder uphill.

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
545 Posts
Seems like there are a few different things people want to do. Some people want wireless just to avoid the hassle of plugging in their phone. I don't have iPhone but from what I have heard it's not that hard to get wireless Carplay to work on the Clarity, although I think you have to purchase a special adapter that plugs into the data USB port.

Adding YouTube likely requires more hacking since Apple doesn't support it as far as I know, so probably requires a hack on the phone itself, and probably requires installing HondaHack in order to install whatever software is needed in infotainment. I tried HondaHack in the past but had some lockup issues so I removed it. I don't blame HondaHack I think it's because our infotainment units are underpowered and using old technology.

Wireless Android Auto seems to also be more of a hack type installation on the Clarity.

Those who enjoy messing around with all of this might have some success. As for me I see trying to do anything with infotainment other than what is already built in, it's pretty much like trying to roll a boulder uphill.
Yup. Many doing the wireless thing are doing so to play music. IMO, the interface for USB is pretty darn good. Better than any I've previously used, at doing the things I like it to do. It does require one to rip their music collection to high bit-rate MP3, though. (I did the bulk of that decades ago.) YMMV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had the T-box one for a few days and its working as i hoped it would so far. A little phone latency but not severe and I love that it skips past the horrible looking menu screen from Calinkit and Carlink2.0.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This might be what you are looking for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts