Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving my Clarity about 2 months now, and during the month of July it seems like the temps have been 100 degrees literally every day. The Clarity charges just fine but it feels like the range goes really fast, does extreme heat (ie:the pavement beneath the car is far far hotter than 100) affect the Claritys batteries? I understand that the AC def costs energy and reduces the range a bit, but I'm asking more specifically does the heat itself affect the EV range?

·
Registered
632 Posts
It's possible as the Clarity is probably running the coolant through the batteries to keep them in their best operating temperatures.

Reactions: Madmartigen

·
Registered
105 Posts
The temperature could be adding rolling resistance to the tires, the pavement gets sticky at 100 degrees.

Driving with a constant rain seems to also add resistance to the tires and the milage takes a hit.

·
Registered
2020 Clarity Touring
359 Posts
Also, I think someone mentioned this somewhere. It seems that if you set the cabin temperature to a certain comfortable level when using AC, the system may actually bounce back and forth between running the AC compressor and heating the coolant for the heating system. If that actually is the case, it is wasteful and the resistive heating element will drain the battery faster than the AC compressor.
I believe there may be some truth to this theory because I have witnessed unusually high battery drain when running the AC. However, if I set the temperature controls at their lowest level and then manually change the fan speed to regulate the AC, I don’t seem to have that problem. Maybe I’m just imagining it but it seems that way to me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been driving my Clarity about 2 months now, and during the month of July it seems like the temps have been 100 degrees literally every day. The Clarity charges just fine but it feels like the range goes really fast, does extreme heat (ie:the pavement beneath the car is far far hotter than 100) affect the Claritys batteries? I understand that the AC def costs energy and reduces the range a bit, but I'm asking more specifically does the heat itself affect the EV range?
I always get 50-60 battery range in the hot summer and down to 35-40 range in the winter so I like it hot. 2018 touring model

1 - 8 of 8 Posts