Honda Clarity Forum banner

Would you like to be able to choose the settings of your vehicle yourself?

• Yes

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
When the engine starts for any reason, it will run at idle until it is warmed up then it will shut off. I read somewhere that this is actually an EPA requirement because of the catalytic converter, the catalytic converter needs to fully warm up to burn off any unburnt fuel. If the engine shuts off before warming up then unburnt fuel can be left in the converter which is apparently not good for its lifespan.
Another good reason for the car to idle awhile is to get the exhaust system hot enough to boil off any water in it. Water is a byproduct of combustion and will condense into liquid if the exhaust system is not hot enough. That ends up causing rust although I think some of the newer cars have exhaust systems that are more resistant to that.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Exactly my point. I have noticed all that. And also I have noticed that when the ICU kicks in, it will stay there no matter how you drive. The only way I was able to stop it is to stop the car, turn off ignition, open the driver door, close it and put the ignition back on. This is just ridiculous.
Yeah, probably better not to bypass that and just let it run as it wishes. I used to do that too but realized it’s probably better not to.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Agree 100 %! Adn wish that I would be able to have the seat heater disabled when I start my car. Now it comes on as soon as there is freezing temperature outside. If I forget to check it, I will boil after 10 minutes of drive.
Honda’s reasoning for that is probably that it’s more efficient to warm you by means of the seat heater than the cabin air heat. If they force the seats on then maybe you’ll be less likely to use the cabin heat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I understand and agree with you for the most part. But I also know that it’s possible to drive the car, for the most part, in a way that will only activate the CBMS in a true emergency.
It is possible, yes, but it is not something I am willing to do for now, unless I hit 85 and my reaction goes down the drain.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Honda’s reasoning for that is probably that it’s more efficient to warm you by means of the seat heater than the cabin air heat. If they force the seats on then maybe you’ll be less likely to use the cabin heat.
It is, if you like to feel the warmth, but I set my cabin heater at max 18°C and seldom use the seat heater (usually when outside temperature is at -15°C to -20°C) and only for the first 5 minutes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
One reason I bought a new car was for the added safety features in which I also include the steering assist.

My first cars were from the 60s and 70s Models with the only safety feature being a lap belt. For those that truly hate the ”big brother” controls, they are still available. No flame intended; just saying that computer oversight is only going to get more pervasive.

BTW: my Clarity would,are a terrible “get-away” Car. One time I forget the close the ev door and it automically braked after moving a few feet - yikes!

Although understandably far from perfect, my wife and I appreciate the safety features; even when quirky. I see the features as a potential fail safe in the event that “as human” I fail to react; in which case the computer may (just may) help me to avoid or mitigate an accident.

That said, yes I agree with those that would like more control of these features!

Enjoying our 2021 Clarity Touring even with her annoying alerts!

·
Registered
33 Posts
One reason I bought a new car was for the added safety features in which I also include the steering assist.

My first cars were from the 60s and 70s Models with the only safety feature being a lap belt. For those that truly hate the ”big brother” controls, they are still available. No flame intended; just saying that computer oversight is only going to get more pervasive.

BTW: my Clarity would,are a terrible “get-away” Car. One time I forget the close the ev door and it automically braked after moving a few feet - yikes!

Although understandably far from perfect, my wife and I appreciate the safety features; even when quirky. I see the features as a potential fail safe in the event that “as human” I fail to react; in which case the computer may (just may) help me to avoid or mitigate an accident.

That said, yes I agree with those that would like more control of these features!

Enjoying our 2021 Clarity Touring even with her annoying alerts!
Reading you guy, I will say: Too much technology not enough knowledge at the dealership. That’s what scares me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is possible, yes, but it is not something I am willing to do for now, unless I hit 85 and my reaction goes down the drain.
Im an 84 year old driver. The airplane I used to own would fly pretty much hands off. I bought the Clarity because its a plug in and wanted automatic braking and lane keep assist. A bonus has been the comfort. As for everything else....Dont sweat the small stuff.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts