Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new owner of a Honda Clarity, I am worried with the discontinuation of the Clarity. I had to go to California to get my Clarity to begin with as there were none available locally. My question is this : Does my local Honda dealer have a requirement to service my HOnda Clarity?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had the same concern, but have heard that federal law requires a brand to service -- or at least carry parts for -- any model for 10 years after production has stopped.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I had the same concern, but have heard that federal law requires a brand to service -- or at least carry parts for -- any model for 10 years after production has stopped.
By law they only have to carry parts as long as the warranty is in effect. But most manufacturers supply parts much longer than that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my concern wasnt so much for parts, but if something went wrong with the Clarity's electronics, which probabbly are different than any other Honda, andof course, here in Florida they probably have little experience with the Clarity

·
Registered
406 Posts
By law they only have to carry parts as long as the warranty is in effect. But most manufacturers supply parts much longer than that.
10 years from the end of the model year. However, this doesn't mean parts on the shelf. They have to be able to deliver those parts, which can sometimes take months.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Try looking for the regulation that states this. You won't find it because it doesn't exist, it's an urban legend. A very popular urban legend that is so often repeated that few people question it.
I wonder if it's derived from the requirement that automakers be on the hook for safety recalls for 10 years after the end of a model year. NHTSA and Jeep got into a protracted court battle over this a decade or so ago.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I wonder if it's derived from the requirement that automakers be on the hook for safety recalls for 10 years after the end of a model year. NHTSA and Jeep got into a protracted court battle over this a decade or so ago.
That's a good possibility.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts