Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new owner of a Honda Clarity, I am worried with the discontinuation of the Clarity. I had to go to California to get my Clarity to begin with as there were none available locally. My question is this : Does my local Honda dealer have a requirement to service my HOnda Clarity?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had the same concern, but have heard that federal law requires a brand to service -- or at least carry parts for -- any model for 10 years after production has stopped.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I had the same concern, but have heard that federal law requires a brand to service -- or at least carry parts for -- any model for 10 years after production has stopped.
By law they only have to carry parts as long as the warranty is in effect. But most manufacturers supply parts much longer than that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my concern wasnt so much for parts, but if something went wrong with the Clarity's electronics, which probabbly are different than any other Honda, andof course, here in Florida they probably have little experience with the Clarity

·
Registered
434 Posts
By law they only have to carry parts as long as the warranty is in effect. But most manufacturers supply parts much longer than that.
10 years from the end of the model year. However, this doesn't mean parts on the shelf. They have to be able to deliver those parts, which can sometimes take months.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Try looking for the regulation that states this. You won't find it because it doesn't exist, it's an urban legend. A very popular urban legend that is so often repeated that few people question it.
I wonder if it's derived from the requirement that automakers be on the hook for safety recalls for 10 years after the end of a model year. NHTSA and Jeep got into a protracted court battle over this a decade or so ago.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I wonder if it's derived from the requirement that automakers be on the hook for safety recalls for 10 years after the end of a model year. NHTSA and Jeep got into a protracted court battle over this a decade or so ago.
That's a good possibility.

·
Registered
729 Posts
my concern wasn't so much for parts, but if something went wrong with the Clarity's electronics, which probably are different than any other Honda, and of course, here in Florida they probably have little experience with the Clarity
The Clarity uses the same i-MMD hybrid system as the Accord Hybrid, the CR-V Hybrid, and the Insight. The only difference is the larger battery, more powerful electric motor, the charger, and the cooling system for the battery. Honda provides technicians with all of the information they need to service the Clarity, just like they do for any new model that is introduced. And if the mechanic can't figure something out they can call Honda technical support.

Does my local Honda dealer have a requirement to service my Honda Clarity?
As explained above any Honda dealer can service the Clarity, even if they have never sold one. However some people have reported running into a dealer who claims they can't. I would say that's a good indicator to find another dealer, as it means they are either disingenuous or incompetent, or both. Actually the best way to choose service is by researching reviews to find a dealer that has good overall reliability, rather than basing it on whether they say they can service Clarity. I remember one person lived in a state where Clarity was extremely rare. When they asked their local Honda dealer if they serviced Clarity, the dealer claimed sure no problem we get several in per week. Which would be pretty much impossible since there were likely very few Clarities in that area, and all being quite new they wouldn't all be coming in for service at a rate of several per week. That would be another dealer to skip.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I bought my Clarity from Galpin Honda in San Fernando, CA. I couldn't find one anywhere else. My local dealer, Stephen Wade Honda of St. George, UT says they can service the vehicle, even though they have never had one on their lot. I checked with them before buying the extended warranty from Hyannis Honda.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts