Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2018 Clarity Plug-in. On trips, we often forget to turn on HV mode. Is there a parameter somewhere that could be set to default to HV mode for use when traveling distances.?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Unfortunately there is no way to change it. What one person does is put something over the drive button to cover it when they stop, that reminds them to press the HV button when they start out.

Also after pressing the HV button be sure to look on the instrument panel to confirm that HV has been activated. More than once I have pressed the HV button and it did not activate and I had to press the button again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I do both of what 2002 says. BTW, to my knowledge there is no default. After reading a couple of good posts on the efficient of using the charge mode. I am not longer opposed to using it, because according to the post a while back it is not as inefficient as one would expect. So if I forget I will us it, but my first option on long trips is the cup!

·
Registered
264 Posts
If the Clarity PHEV in "HV Charge" is like the Volt's "Mountain Mode", the ICE running at high RPMs puts it closer to the peak of its power band. It would make sense that it would be pretty efficient running there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree but not sure I’d want it to default to hv. Maybe better if it would display a message when the charge is under 50% when first putting in drive. I’ve forgotten on along trip too; not a big deal since the computer will turn on the ice when charge is low enough. I tread hough on this forum about owner that had poor acceleration on a low charge climbing a steep mountain - worst case senerio🤭

·
Registered
768 Posts
I agree but not sure I’d want it to default to hv. Maybe better if it would display a message when the charge is under 50% when first putting in drive. I’ve forgotten on along trip too; not a big deal since the computer will turn on the ice when charge is low enough. I tread hough on this forum about owner that had poor acceleration on a low charge climbing a steep mountain - worst case senerio🤭
What it should do is if the car is in HV mode when you turn off the car, then it should still be in HV mode the next time you turn on the car, unless you charged while stopped.

The way I look at it, if you put it in HV mode you did so for a reason, and it is unlikely that the reason that you put it into HV mode has changed while you are stopped somewhere. Unless you charged while stopped in which case you probably want to start out in EV. Or at least you can say it's not clear anymore whether the driver wants to remain in HV after charging, so I think it makes sense to default to EV after charging.

In case I'm not stating this clearly, this is what I mean:

Car stopped in HV mode, start in HV mode if no charging occurred while stopped.
Car stopped in HV mode, start in EV mode if charging occurred while stopped.
Car stopped in EV mode, start in EV mode whether or not charging occurred while stopped.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It occurred to me that defaulting to HV mode would defeat the entire purpose of the Clarity's design, which is electric first.

·
Registered
170 Posts
What it should do is if the car is in HV mode when you turn off the car, then it should still be in HV mode the next time you turn on the car, unless you charged while stopped.

The way I look at it, if you put it in HV mode you did so for a reason, and it is unlikely that the reason that you put it into HV mode has changed while you are stopped somewhere. Unless you charged while stopped in which case you probably want to start out in EV. Or at least you can say it's not clear anymore whether the driver wants to remain in HV after charging, so I think it makes sense to default to EV after charging.

In case I'm not stating this clearly, this is what I mean:

Car stopped in HV mode, start in HV mode if no charging occurred while stopped.
Car stopped in HV mode, start in EV mode if charging occurred while stopped.
Car stopped in EV mode, start in EV mode whether or not charging occurred while stopped.
Or maybe you could add:
Car stopped in HV mode, start in EV mode if stopped longer than xx hours.

·
Registered
768 Posts
It occurred to me that defaulting to HV mode would defeat the entire purpose of the Clarity's design, which is electric first.
And Honda could have not even provided an HV button so that the battery is always used first. In fact that's how the BMW i3 REx works. Although that was because they wanted a California BEVx classification (range extender) which requires that it works that way.

But the Clarity is a PHEV and Honda provided an HV button, and I just think if the driver presses the HV button it should remain in HV until either the driver presses the EV button or the car is charged.

·
Registered
170 Posts
What would change in xx hours of sitting (and not charging) that would make them want to be in EV when they had previously pressed the HV button?
You drive on the highway in HV mode and arrived at your destination. The car sits overnight and you want to drive down the street for donuts the next morning in EV mode.

·
Registered
768 Posts
You drive on the highway in HV mode and arrived at your destination. The car sits overnight and you want to drive down the street for donuts the next morning in EV mode.
So they pressed the HV button while driving, then later they changed their mind and decided they want to be in EV mode instead. In that case they can press the button and turn off HV. I don't see why the car should try and predict what the driver wants to do and change the mode from what the driver selected.

The only assumption I think it should make, although it's still an assumption, is that after charging most people want to start out in EV. In the rare case when they don't, they can press the HV button.

·
Registered
170 Posts
So they pressed the HV button while driving, then later they changed their mind and decided they want to be in EV mode instead. In that case they can press the button and turn off HV. I don't see why the car should try and predict what the driver wants to do and change the mode from what the driver selected.

The only assumption I think it should make, although it's still an assumption, is that after charging most people want to start out in EV. In the rare case when they don't, they can press the HV button.
Ok, well you’re entitled to your opinion on it and I’m sure others will have other opinions. Obviously the Honda engineers did.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Ok, well you’re entitled to your opinion on it and I’m sure others will have other opinions. Obviously the Honda engineers did.
I think it's been an interesting discussion. No right opinion but rather an attempt to guess how most people would want it to work. And yes the engineers have an opinion but unfortunately we don't have any insight into why they implemented it the way they did, so in one sense our different opinions are our guess at what their reasons might have been. Maybe they thought of something that we haven't, if so it would be nice to know what that is.

Sort of like some other similar puzzles, like why won't it stay in Sport mode, it stays in Econ and Normal but someone who uses Sport mode has to press the Sport button every time they start the car. And Lane Keep Assist has to be turned on each time, whereas the companion feature Road Departure Mitigation you can turn it on or off and whatever you select stays that way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think it's been an interesting discussion. No right opinion but rather an attempt to guess how most people would want it to work. And yes the engineers have an opinion but unfortunately we don't have any insight into why they implemented it the way they did, so in one sense our different opinions are our guess at what their reasons might have been. Maybe they thought of something that we haven't, if so it would be nice to know what that is.

Sort of like some other similar puzzles, like why won't it stay in Sport mode, it stays in Econ and Normal but someone who uses Sport mode has to press the Sport button every time they start the car. And Lane Keep Assist has to be turned on each time, whereas the companion feature Road Departure Mitigation you can turn it on or off and whatever you select stays that way.
I believe the reason for EV mode to be a default mode is the purpose of the car. Electric car that can run on gas when needed.

·
Registered
264 Posts

I was an R&D engineer, and later, a Program Manager. As a Program Manager, I had a team that included pretty much all facets of product development, from marketing to manufacturing to shipping. Marketing identified a market niche, researched how a proposed product could fill it, and gave engineering the overall specs (to see if it was even doable). Engineering responded with some more fleshed out product specs (think block diagrams). Funding was then requested, and the whole development process really got going. Once detailed specs were developed, they went back to marketing for approval. Any feature was passed through Marketing. Engineering simply (!?) made it happen.

I didn't work in the automotive industry, but I suspect the process is very similar. Marketing was the mouth, and Engineering was the muscle, so to speak.

·
Registered
170 Posts

Another puzzle would be, if you have paddles to increase and decrease regenerative braking while coasting, why do the chevrons go away when you start accelerating again? If you were smart enough to engage them surely you’re smart enough to disengage them.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Another puzzle would be, if you have paddles to increase and decrease regenerative braking while coasting, why do the chevrons go away when you start accelerating again? If you were smart enough to engage them surely you’re smart enough to disengage them.
In Sport mode they don't reset. I like the fact that they reset in Normal driving.

·
Registered
264 Posts
In Sport mode they don't reset. I like the fact that they reset in Normal driving.
Yup. That's the primary reason I always drive in "Sport" mode around town. I just have to remember to ease lightly into the "Go" pedal, to avoid engaging the ICE. It's a trade-off.

Left paddle-invoked variable regen also disengages when you engage ACC. From what I can tell, the Clarity still appears to coast in ACC as if max regen is engaged, even though the chevrons don't appear on the DIC.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts