Honda Clarity Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I'm close to purchasing my clarity and I'll be doing it remotely. I'm planning to ask the dealer to FaceTime me with the car, ensuring everything works. What should be on my checklist for this, and other checks for them to do before they send?

I heard battery percentage?

Lastly, I've read about the loss of power issues folks have experienced mostly on the 2018 version. Has this been resolved in more recent Claritys? If I buy a 2020 is it still luck of the draw whether I experience this, or has this mostly been fixed?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Countless people in your situation have been told by people on this forum and others to get the battery capacity value prior to sale. Almost to a person they come back later and say they bought the car and love it, an oh about the battery capacity the dealer didn't know how to do it, or said the battery is fine, etc. That is not an acceptable answer from a dealer and I think these people were just too caught up in the excitement of buying the car to press the matter.

Now it's certainly possible that the dealer may not know how or if the capacity can be checked, or doesn't want to take the trouble to find out, so in that case you have to educate them. Tell them to look up Service Bulletin 17-093. On page 13 (the last page of the bulletin) it explains where they can get the battery capacity. Ideally you would send them a copy of the service bulletin itself but I don't know where you can find it online. If you can't find it then send them the text below from the bulletin. Note that i-HDS that it is referring to is the Honda diagnostic system which all Honda dealers will have, it's not even any work they just plug the computer in and on their screen it puts up several screens of information.

You just need the one line for battery capacity, ask them to either show it to you on the Facetime screen or else print that page with the capacity and email it to you. Don't accept "it checked out fine" you want to see for yourself the exact number, for one thing it gives you a benchmark for the future if you have it checked again to see if it has dropped any. New Clarities typically have a capacity of about 55 Ah, if it's closer to 50 that would be a concern as it would indicate that the HV battery has lost some capacity, which should not be the case for a 2018 and certainly not a 2020. Also note that California has a longer warranty for the HV battery than stated in the bulletin.

Service Bulletin 17-093
2018 Clarity Plug-In Hybrid: PDI and New Model Service Information
January 25, 2018

(from page 13)

Checking Battery Pack Capacity

The high-voltage lithium-ion battery in this vehicle has an 8-year or 100,000-mile warranty. But unlike earlier vehicles with high-voltage batteries, this vehicle does not set a DTC when the battery pack capacity value has reached the level for battery replacement under warranty.

To check battery pack capacity in this vehicle, you must use the i-HDS. Just go to the Electric Powertrain Data List, and look at the Battery Pack Capacity signal. If its value reads less than 36.6 Ah and the battery is still under warranty, the battery is eligible for warranty replacement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts