Honda Clarity Forum banner

Dealer offering to buy at price way over lease buy out value

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Liskip 
#1 ·
My Clarity lease will end in a few weeks. When I left my car for service at the dealer, I got a call from them later offering to buy my car at a price way higher (8K+) than the lease buy out price. I was surprised, but later found out that the demand for used cars has been very high recently due to global chip supply shortage.

Have any of you been offered anything similar or have heard of such?

#2 ·
Yes, my selling dealer has been bugging me to sell the Clarity to them at lease end.
They want the car because the resale price is much higher than the buyout (RV).
I decided to keep my Clarity and buy out the lease thru my credit union because when I asked about getting into the 2021 Clarity, the monthly lease would be 50% more!

#6 ·
Have you been able to buy out your lease? We financed our 2018 lease agreement with Honda Financial, and are a month away from the lease end. We too, had intended to buy the car using CU financing, but were told today that Honda is not allowing any leaseholders to buy out their cars. Can this be true?

#10 ·
I just bought mine out (2018). I did pay the residual in a lump sum. Are you saying they would not finance your buyout? Can they stop you from paying the lump sum and taking the car? I didn't know they had the option of doing that.
We were told that our CU is one that they "work with". Since we had submitted a loan app that morning, we said great, let's go ahead and get the deal done.

The sales rep went away and came back later with the first set of numbers. At this stage he pointed out that the payments were calculated at our CU rates. Now I think that they were not "working" with our credit union at all, but attempting to steal the deal for themselves by matching the CU rate.

It was only when I had them remove thosands of dollars of add on charges that they suddenly discovered that "honda isn't letting leaseholders buy out their Clarities"

After speaking with Honda Financial this am, I believe this was a story cooked up by the sales manager to get out of a commitment that would not be financially lucrative for him.

#12 ·
We were told that our CU is one that they "work with". Since we had submitted a loan app that morning, we said great, let's go ahead and get the deal done.

The sales rep went away and came back later with the first set of numbers. At this stage he pointed out that the payments were calculated at our CU rates. Now I think that they were not "working" with our credit union at all, but attempting to steal the deal for themselves by matching the CU rate.

It was only when I had them remove thosands of dollars of add on charges that they suddenly discovered that "honda isn't letting leaseholders buy out their Clarities"

After speaking with Honda Financial this am, I believe this was a story cooked up by the sales manager to get out of a commitment that would not be financially lucrative for him.
Yup, if you turn the car in to that dealer then they get first bids to buy and that is why they are lying since they can resell fir bank

#4 ·
When we went in to the local Honda dealer to pick up the touch up paint for my 2021 Clarity they offered my wife $5,000 more than we paid out the door for her 2020 CRV Hybrid which we got at a discounted rate from the same dealer last December. I consider myself very fortunate to find my 2021 Clarity Touring model in July for sticker price. I checked the door tag. It was manufactured in April, 2021, so it was pretty fresh off the boat when I got it.

#15 ·
I brought my 2018 Clarity Touring in December. I spoke directly with Honda and did everything over the phone. No dealer involved, paid 15,700 as noted on my lease and was offered $25k from CarMax. If your contract gives a buyout price it's a legal contract and they are obligated to sell the car to you for the agreed price. Don't bother with the dealership they want to sell you another car, grab yours for probably less than your contract and sell it to make a big profit. Beware aware the dealer only cares about making money not about you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.