Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Clarity lease will end in a few weeks. When I left my car for service at the dealer, I got a call from them later offering to buy my car at a price way higher (8K+) than the lease buy out price. I was surprised, but later found out that the demand for used cars has been very high recently due to global chip supply shortage.

Have any of you been offered anything similar or have heard of such?

·
Super Moderator
508 Posts
Yes, my selling dealer has been bugging me to sell the Clarity to them at lease end.
They want the car because the resale price is much higher than the buyout (RV).
I decided to keep my Clarity and buy out the lease thru my credit union because when I asked about getting into the 2021 Clarity, the monthly lease would be 50% more!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes, my selling dealer has been bugging me to sell the Clarity to them at lease end.
I decided to keep my Clarity and buy out the lease thru my credit union because when I asked about getting into the 2021 Clarity, the monthly lease would be 50% more!
Good luck finding a new '21. They're basically unobtainium.

As another indicator of how crazy the used vehicle market is right now, the market value for my 2008 Honda S2000, with 23k miles is $40k+.

I paid $34k for it new, in 2008.

·
Registered
124 Posts
When we went in to the local Honda dealer to pick up the touch up paint for my 2021 Clarity they offered my wife $5,000 more than we paid out the door for her 2020 CRV Hybrid which we got at a discounted rate from the same dealer last December. I consider myself very fortunate to find my 2021 Clarity Touring model in July for sticker price. I checked the door tag. It was manufactured in April, 2021, so it was pretty fresh off the boat when I got it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you been able to buy out your lease? We financed our 2018 lease agreement with Honda Financial, and are a month away from the lease end. We too, had intended to buy the car using CU financing, but were told today that Honda is not allowing any leaseholders to buy out their cars. Can this be true?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good luck finding a new '21. They're basically unobtainium.
Yes, and that's another beef I have with Honda. Honda has been sending us all sorts of special offers on a new 2021 Clarity. Yet, when we call our local dealers they know nothing about it, as they have none in stock and can't get them. I call this bait and switch advertising.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Have you been able to buy out your lease? We financed our 2018 lease agreement with Honda Financial, and are a month away from the lease end. We too, had intended to buy the car using CU financing, but were told today that Honda is not allowing any leaseholders to buy out their cars. Can this be true?
I just bought mine out (2018). I did pay the residual in a lump sum. Are you saying they would not finance your buyout? Can they stop you from paying the lump sum and taking the car? I didn't know they had the option of doing that.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes, and that's another beef I have with Honda. Honda has been sending us all sorts of special offers on a new 2021 Clarity. Yet, when we call our local dealers they know nothing about it, as they have none in stock and can't get them. I call this bait and switch advertising.
Absolutely. In my experience, dealers will directly lie to you, in order to get you on the sales lot, then claim ignorance, and never apologize. It's their business model.

BTW, Honda stopped making the remaining Clarity models in August, and the BEV model last year. Getting a new one at this time, and moving forward, will be very difficult.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought mine out (2018). I did pay the residual in a lump sum. Are you saying they would not finance your buyout? Can they stop you from paying the lump sum and taking the car? I didn't know they had the option of doing that.
We were told that our CU is one that they "work with". Since we had submitted a loan app that morning, we said great, let's go ahead and get the deal done.

The sales rep went away and came back later with the first set of numbers. At this stage he pointed out that the payments were calculated at our CU rates. Now I think that they were not "working" with our credit union at all, but attempting to steal the deal for themselves by matching the CU rate.

It was only when I had them remove thosands of dollars of add on charges that they suddenly discovered that "honda isn't letting leaseholders buy out their Clarities"

After speaking with Honda Financial this am, I believe this was a story cooked up by the sales manager to get out of a commitment that would not be financially lucrative for him.

·
Registered
265 Posts
We were told that our CU is one that they "work with". Since we had submitted a loan app that morning, we said great, let's go ahead and get the deal done.

The sales rep went away and came back later with the first set of numbers. At this stage he pointed out that the payments were calculated at our CU rates. Now I think that they were not "working" with our credit union at all, but attempting to steal the deal for themselves by matching the CU rate.

It was only when I had them remove thosands of dollars of add on charges that they suddenly discovered that "honda isn't letting leaseholders buy out their Clarities"

After speaking with Honda Financial this am, I believe this was a story cooked up by the sales manager to get out of a commitment that would not be financially lucrative for him.
Yet another example of a car dealer lying directly to your face in order to get a deal that works best for them. Good lord! Who does that?!?

There's a solid reason that car dealers have such a terrible reputation. If you can find a reputable and honest car dealership, cherish (and share) them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts