Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After having my traction battery replaced about 2 months ago, I got a check engine light a week later after charging at home. The CEL cleared on it's own and I did not pursue the issue. All of a sudden it reappeared last week, and brought to dealership to troubleshoot.

The code P0C4A says coolant pump malfunction. After further research, looks like this is the pump to circulate coolant to keep the battery cool. I have a 2018, so my outside of my 3yr warranty. They tell me this pump is not part of the 5yr powertrain or 8yr battery warranty.

The cost for this is over $700. So I just wanted to get some advice from the group.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You're correct about the code. It specifically means that the RPM readback from the battery coolant pump is either too low or too high. I don't have experience with this particular issue, but I think it is very likely caused by the battery replacement. It could be as simple as the electrical connector to the pump connector was not fully installed. A leak within the battery IPU is possible, or maybe they put in the wrong amount of coolant (check your ES coolant level). ES stands for Energy Storage.

The "emissions warranty" lists the coolant pump as a 3year/36k mile. Though, if you live in (California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, or Washington), it's 15year/150k mile.

I believe the note about the pump is for the gas engine, not the battery cooling. (powertrain vs hybrid powertrain warranty)

The warranty book has a nice message: "You should check the engine oil and radiator coolant levels each time you fill the gas tank. This protects the vital systems of your Honda and may help you discover potential problems."

It also looks like it's normal that a powertrain warranty does NOT cover cooling systems (for gas engines).

If you find out it's not covered by the warranty, you'll likely need to find another repair shop, and have them write a nice letter saying that the Honda dealership caused the problem, and then get a judge to make Honda reimburse you for the repairs. Then again, it might be just a coincidence.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The "emissions warranty" lists the coolant pump as a 3year/36k mile. Though, if you live in (California, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, or Washington), it's 15year/150k mile.
Thanks. I am located in NY, so maybe I'll have a chance to get this fixed under the emissions warranty. Looking through the verbiage on the online manual, but it doesn't list the parts of the emissions warranty. Only notes to look on the back cover. I'll need to wait until I get the car back to check my actual warranty books in the glove compartment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems the dealership entered the wrong water pump part number on the order. After entering the correct part number it showed as under the emissions warranty which covers the hybrid powertrain. All's good on my end. Thanks.

This was my first time having to call Honda corporate customer care to open a case. Not a good experience. Car is repaired and back at my home. Still can't get the agent to return any of my voicemails. Even to close a case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts