Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just passed my first year anniversary with my 2018 Clarity Touring, which I purchased new.

The Clarity arrived with one delivery defect, a vibration in the roof pillar by the speaker. The dealer easily corrected the problem by adding some foam. Otherwise, it was perfect.

Except for an Audi from ****, I have enjoyed all my previous vehicles, so I was hopeful that I would also enjoy the Clarity. I have. It has actually far exceeded my expectations. I have never enjoyed a car like I enjoy this one, including cars owned by friends or family. The car has an elegant, roomy and quiet interior, a dreamy ride, all the engineering goodies you could ever want, and an ample trunk.

Concerning seasonal changes and how it affects the driving experience, the Clarity's summer operation was flawless. The car has a great A/C.

Living in Minnesota, I was the most concerned about how the car would perform in the winter. It actually did very well on snow and ice. There were no starting problems, even on the coldest days. The heater was quick to warm the cabin.

As to mileage, I am very pleased. I am retired and live in a small town. We frequently travel 30 miles+ for various services, so I would estimate that most of my miles are highway miles. I typically use the EV in town. On the highway, I use EV until I have four bars, then switch to HV. I resume EV when I am close to home on the return trip. In the warm months, I can drive the 30 miles on EV and also use the EV for about 2/3rds of the journey home. In the winter, I can get as little as 20 miles on EV before switching to HV. I have left the MPG function on the cumulative mode. I am presently at 101 mpg (and rising) for the first year of operation. Yes, I know that I am still paying for the electricity, so the 101 is a bit deceptive. Still, I have kept a lot of carbon out of the atmosphere, as the electric grid is much cleaner than gasoline and getting more eco friendly as time goes by. In Minnesota, electricity is quite reasonable, so I haven't noticed a huge increase in the monthly bill. If I was in a warm weather state year round, the mpg would probably be much higher.

When I do infrequently gas up, the costs are low, since the car only has a seven gallon tank.

I do have one suggestion for the Honda engineers. Please consider internally lighting the little button that controls the garage door opener. The interior lights come on when you are trying to find the button and blind you when you look for it. Is a little annoyance for sure, but it is a change worth making.

Oh, I thought of one other "complaint". When I get gas at Costco, I am invariably at the second pump with a pickup or SUV in front of me. After pumping gas for a minute or two, I have to wait a long, long time until the folks ahead of me are done filling their vehicles.:wink:

The Clarity has been absolutely outstanding. I hope the performance continues!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Nice write-up. As for the overhead buttons they do have a small illumination light, a little pinhole light for button 1, two pinhole lights for button 2 and three pinhole lights for button 3. However the pinhole lights only come on when the headlight switch is activated. To be more specific the button lights come on when the headlight switch is turned to either the 1st or 3rd click. 1st click turns on the parking lights, 3rd click turns on the headlights. The 2nd click is Auto, and in my garage the headlights will not come on in Auto since the DRL lights reflect off of the garage wall. If the headlights don't come on then the button lights don't come on. I don't like to turn on the headlights in the garage, so what I do is I turn to the first click (parking lights) so that the buttons are illuminated and I can find the garage door button. Once the garage door is opening, if it is daytime I then turn off the parking lights because once I am out of the garage I have no problem finding the garage door button again to close the door. If it is nighttime however I leave the parking lights on as I back out of the garage onto the driveway, that way I can find the button again when I am ready to close the garage door. Then I turn on the headlights just before I start backing into the street.

The little pinhole lights are not very bright, the interior lights might make the pinhole lights hard to see, however my interior lights don't come on when I get in the car so for me that's not a problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
As Yogi Berra said, this is deja vu all over again. After living in Minnesota for 40 years we retired and moved just across the border to Wisconsin and bought a 2018 Touring model last June. My experience mirrors yours almost exactly, with our lowest SOC about 35 during seriously subzero weather. Maybe I did write this entry and with my shakey short term memory I just forgot. I don't think I will forget how great a car the Clarity has been.

·
Super Moderator
457 Posts
.....Oh, I thought of one other "complaint". When I get gas at Costco, I am invariably at the second pump with a pickup or SUV in front of me. After pumping gas for a minute or two, I have to wait a long, long time until the folks ahead of me are done filling their vehicles.:wink:

The Clarity has been absolutely outstanding. I hope the performance continues!
I agree with you when I fill up at Costco too - the small tank just makes me wait watching others pump twice, 3x, or even 4x more fuel than our small 7 gallon tank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice review, Dataminn. I have the same 2018 Clarity Touring and agree wholeheartedly with you. But there's one other feature I wish Honda had included...a windshield washer low fluid level indicator. I've learned that I need to check the level much more frequently than I'm used to with other cars. Seems to me like a no brainer for a car in this price range. But I still love my Clarity!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts