Honda Clarity Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Less than one week after the great polar vortex, we had temps in St. Louis in the high sixties. Yesterday I had a projected EV range of 51!

·
Super Moderator
444 Posts
Interesting info - now you have piqued my interest and have a question - how does A/C affect battery EV range ????

I know most of the country in February are freezing, dealing snow, ice, etc...
I am in So Cal where the weather the past week has been warm and sunny where I don't need headlights, seat heaters, cabin heating, window defrosting, etc...
Since I am seeing 60+ EV miles per charge because I don't use any climate load items (headlights, heaters, wipers, etc) so my question is:

What happens in a few weeks when I start using the air conditioning (A/C) to cool the cabin down -- does it impact the EV range ???

·
Registered
102 Posts
Interesting info - now you have piqued my interest and have a question - how does A/C affect battery EV range ????

I know most of the country in February are freezing, dealing snow, ice, etc...
I am in So Cal where the weather the past week has been warm and sunny where I don't need headlights, seat heaters, cabin heating, window defrosting, etc...
Since I am seeing 60+ EV miles per charge because I don't use any climate load items (headlights, heaters, wipers, etc) so my question is:

What happens in a few weeks when I start using the air conditioning (A/C) to cool the cabin down -- does it impact the EV range ???
The good news is that the A/C system uses much less electricity than the heating elements, so you won't see as much of a degradation as you might expect. However, if the temps go above 100F, you might see a larger impact as the battery cooling system has to work harder to keep the batteries at a optimum temperature.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts