Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Saw that on my Google home page...sorry to hear. Hope they have an EV plan. I've had a 2018 Clarity plug-in for 2.5 years, absolutely love it. Not one single issue so far, and a fun car to drive. Haven't loved a Honda like this since my first Accord in 1978. That car also kicked the crap out of the competition.
Since I've owned the Clarity I've found more and more info about how superior it is to other PHEVs, not the least of which is maximum charge rate. Even without the Internet, it was much easier in 1978 to find the superior features of the 1979 Accord than it is to find info on the Clarity today, too bad Honda kept this car such a secret.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm surprised Honda is doing this given that the Japanese government is still hell bent on fool cells and Hydrogen for ground transportation. I'm not surprise the Clarity PHEV is going away since it does almost nothing for Honda's CARB credits. The Clarity BEV was a joke - twice as expensive as a Leaf yet less range. Honda needs to come out with a BEV that has decent range and at a reasonable price point.

·
Registered
699 Posts
The Clarity exterior and interior styling and features dates back to 2017, and it has been several people's opinion including mine that there was no way that Honda had any plans to do any type of refresh on the Clarity, and that they would just take the current version as far as it could go. I previously suspected that 2020 would be the last year and I was pleasantly surprised that they continued one more year for 2021. Although it didn't last that long as shipments even to California seem to have ended, although that may have been due to the chip shortage. I had little hope that it would continue in 2022, although it is certainly sad to see it end.

·
Registered
699 Posts
The Clarity BEV was a joke - twice as expensive as a Leaf yet less range.
Let's be fair the Clarity is a much nicer car than the Leaf. There is much more to the purchase price of a car than just powertrain differences. Certainly the limited range of the Clarity Electric relegated it to around town driving, but for many people that's perfectly fine, especially in the common scenario with electric car owners that they own a second car for longer trips. Many people got very good lease deals on their Clarity Electric, and for their driving situation they were presumably much happier driving around town in a Clarity than a Nissan Leaf.

But yes as EV ranges have climbed steadily since the Clarity Electric was introduced, it's no surprise that Honda discontinued it after 2020.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Let's be fair the Clarity is a much nicer car than the Leaf. There is much more to the purchase price of a car than just powertrain differences. Certainly the limited range of the Clarity Electric relegated it to around town driving, but for many people that's perfectly fine, especially in the common scenario with electric car owners that they own a second car for longer trips. Many people got very good lease deals on their Clarity Electric, and for their driving situation they were presumably much happier driving around town in a Clarity than a Nissan Leaf.

But yes as EV ranges have climbed steadily since the Clarity Electric was introduced, it's no surprise that Honda discontinued it after 2020.
I traded in a 2011 Leaf for a '21 Clarity PHEV Touring. No comparison...and the Clarity gets about the same EV range, to boot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts