Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had been watching for about a year to buy a used Clarity. I finally found one on Carvana, so I checked "Notify Me". I waited about 8 weeks before I finally got an email that said I could start the purchase process. I was given 24 hours to complete the initial paperwork. I waited 8 weeks and they only gave me 24 hours. It was actually more like 20 hours that would end at 8:00 am the next morning. I was out of town, but decided I could get it all taken care of if I started at 5:30 am. I clicked on the earliest delivery date of 2 weeks out, called my insurance company and got the car covered the day before the delivery and then sent Carvana my banking info. All done by about 6:30. I got an email at about 7:30 that said, "Sadly, you did not respond in time" and the order was cancelled.
I immediately called and they said I needed to get insurance starting that day and not on the delivery date. I called my insurance company and made the change. Carvana reversed the cancellation. Now the delivery date was 4 weeks away. If you are counting, it is now 12 weeks since this car was advertised.
In the meantime there was much paperwork that was required. Scan my driver’s license, plus fill out an e-form, plus do an online Zoom with a Notary. After the four weeks, the driver called and said he was on his way to my house. However, there was a problem. The car hauler had put a small dent with a 3 inch scratch on the rear fender. He wanted me to see it. He arrived and I checked the car out. It was perfect, except for the scratch. My options were to unload the car and I could find a body shop to fix it and Carvana would pay for it. I could have the car returned to the Carvana body shop and they would return it fully repaired. Another 4 weeks. I opted to have it fixed at the Carvana shop. Later that day I got an email saying that my car purchase was cancelled! I immediately got on the phone and was told the driver mistakenly cancelled the order. If I wanted to purchase the car I could but would have to start the process all over again - everything, all forms, Notary, etc. I told them they could just leave it cancelled. Not going through this again. I will not use Carvana in the future, which is fine because I have to disconnect my VPN to use their site. I was just not supposed to have this car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had been watching for about a year to buy a used Clarity. I finally found one on Carvana, so I checked "Notify Me". I waited about 8 weeks before I finally got an email that said I could start the purchase process. I was given 24 hours to complete the initial paperwork. I waited 8 weeks and they only gave me 24 hours. It was actually more like 20 hours that would end at 8:00 am the next morning. I was out of town, but decided I could get it all taken care of if I started at 5:30 am. I clicked on the earliest delivery date of 2 weeks out, called my insurance company and got the car covered the day before the delivery and then sent Carvana my banking info. All done by about 6:30. I got an email at about 7:30 that said, "Sadly, you did not respond in time" and the order was cancelled.
I immediately called and they said I needed to get insurance starting that day and not on the delivery date. I called my insurance company and made the change. Carvana reversed the cancellation. Now the delivery date was 4 weeks away. If you are counting, it is now 12 weeks since this car was advertised.
In the meantime there was much paperwork that was required. Scan my driver’s license, plus fill out an e-form, plus do an online Zoom with a Notary. After the four weeks, the driver called and said he was on his way to my house. However, there was a problem. The car hauler had put a small dent with a 3 inch scratch on the rear fender. He wanted me to see it. He arrived and I checked the car out. It was perfect, except for the scratch. My options were to unload the car and I could find a body shop to fix it and Carvana would pay for it. I could have the car returned to the Carvana body shop and they would return it fully repaired. Another 4 weeks. I opted to have it fixed at the Carvana shop. Later that day I got an email saying that my car purchase was cancelled! I immediately got on the phone and was told the driver mistakenly cancelled the order. If I wanted to purchase the car I could but would have to start the process all over again - everything, all forms, Notary, etc. I told them they could just leave it cancelled. Not going through this again. I will not use Carvana in the future, which is fine because I have to disconnect my VPN to use their site. I was just not supposed to have this car.
Sorry to hear of your problems with Carvana. Hopefully, you will be able to get your Clarity elsewhere. We purchased a vehicle through Vroom. It wasn't perfect (we had our bank financing and of course they prefer you go through them, but the interest rate was better at our bank). It was messy to start, but after they finally accepted our bank financing, it was a breeze. The bank paid them, Vroom approved and send sale notice, car was delivered in a week (I expected 4-weeks based on horror stories), went to local DMV and got new state tags and we were done! Overall, we were happy with the experience. There is nothing like going to a showroom or a lot to "touch and feel". However, online, you get a better selection and deal, but sometimes it is a crapshoot. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems and I hope you will still get a good car!
We bought our car through Vroom too, and this was fine. It was a used Mercedes, but it’s very nice and comfy. It was a problem to get car insurance for it, but one of the companies called Squeeze still agreed to take it, and now we are fine. I think that old European cars are just beautiful and very energy efficient compared to the American ones. This Mercedes is twenty years old, but it’s of the luxury class, and it still feels great to drive it. Hope nothing will happen to it, and we will not have to talk to the insurance company.

·
Registered
2018 PHEV Touring Atlanta, GA
1,080 Posts
i would never buy a used car that i couldn't drive first

but go ahead and roll those dice...
It's become extremely popular, most people seem to have a positive experience, like anything it isn't always perfect. And from what I can tell they are usually pretty good at remedying anything that isn't right on delivery. Even though there are some risks it certainly opens a lot more buying options and better prices than if someone is restricted to what's available in their local area, as well as the huge amount of time that it usually requires to shop for used cars in person. But clearly it's not for everyone.

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
548 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems and I hope you will still get a good car!
We bought our car through Vroom too, and this was fine. It was a used Mercedes, but it’s very nice and comfy. It was a problem to get car insurance for it, but one of the companies called Squeeze still agreed to take it, and now we are fine. I think that old European cars are just beautiful and very energy efficient compared to the American ones. This Mercedes is twenty years old, but it’s of the luxury class, and it still feels great to drive it. Hope nothing will happen to it, and we will not have to talk to the insurance company.
I bought a '78 BMW 733i from a co-worker in about 1993. Man, that was a nice car! After about five years, it was nickel-and-diming me to death, except the nickels and dimes added up to over a thousand bucks every time I took it in. "Features" kept breaking. When I finally noticed that the service people knew me by name, I unloaded it.

I still miss that car. It handled like a dream, on 20 mi/hr off-ramps at 40 mi/hr. What an amazing road car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my Clarity in Nov. 2020 from Vroom. $21K with 14k miles. Probably the best car purchase I ever made. Vroom said they would buy it back for 27k a few months ago, but really the car is perfect for me. Btw I previously bought a 2014 Accord Plugin from in 2016 from a local used dealer. Even with my test drive I never noticed the problems it would develop over the next couple years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts