Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have an interesting idea that I wanted to run past folks.

I have an 8000w 240v 30amp generac generator that I converted to propane/nat gas. I have a portable Mustart Travelmaster lvl 2 charger. With an adapter I can plug it into the 240v receptacle on the generator.

In theory it should be able to fully charge my 2021 clarity in about 3 hours.

As a side note, I would not be looking to routinely charge using this method....however it is nice to know that for the price of a power adapter and some propane I can indeed charge the car and still get around.

This is the over spec'd adapter (stay on the safe side).

Ive seen varied youtube videos where folks try to charge using small generators....I dont know why they would bother as those small generators simply dont have the wattage to drive a level 2 charger (7000+ watts). However my xt8000e should be more than capable of charging.

Appreciate any and all feedback on this idea.

Thank you
Mike

·
Registered
45 Posts
Always good to have a good Plan B. Mike. A piped in fuel supply is fairly reliable for long term use with exceptions like us in Texas found out last winter when the few above ground points froze. Rare case tho’, I’d like to have that kind of setup.

If one has a reserve gasoline supply on standby, it would be more efficient to dump it straight into the Clarity’s tank than going thru more conversions from a less efficient portable genset to charge the HV battery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Fotomoto,

The challenges with storing gas was exactly why I purchased and installed the motorsnorkel conversion kit for the generator.....you can store propane indefinitely. I even tried purchasing a 12v operated gasoline siphon kit thinking I could get gas from my two vehicles. Didnt work.

I've read that gasoline lasts a long time within the Clarity due to pressurized fuel tank.

I will let you know how it works once I receive the generator power adapter.

Well said, Plan B.

Regards

·
Registered
159 Posts
Does the generator have a true sine-wave output? Most tend to have a two-step modified square wave output that an EVSE might not like.

Depends on the generator and the EVSE. Wouldn't hurt to check.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Does the generator have a true sine-wave output? Most tend to have a two-step modified square wave output that an EVSE might not like.

Depends on the generator and the EVSE. Wouldn't hurt to check.
Are you thinking of an inverter? A mechanical generator should get you a nice sine wave I would think.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hello,

I have an interesting idea that I wanted to run past folks.

I have an 8000w 240v 30amp generac generator that I converted to propane/nat gas. I have a portable Mustart Travelmaster lvl 2 charger. With an adapter I can plug it into the 240v receptacle on the generator.

In theory it should be able to fully charge my 2021 clarity in about 3 hours.

As a side note, I would not be looking to routinely charge using this method....however it is nice to know that for the price of a power adapter and some propane I can indeed charge the car and still get around.

This is the over spec'd adapter (stay on the safe side).

Ive seen varied youtube videos where folks try to charge using small generators....I dont know why they would bother as those small generators simply dont have the wattage to drive a level 2 charger (7000+ watts). However my xt8000e should be more than capable of charging.

Appreciate any and all feedback on this idea.

Thank you
Mike
Just curious. How did you retrofit the generator for nat gas/propane? I have a 15kW gas generator that would be nice to power by nat gas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts