Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I hope everyone is staying safe during this pandemic. I am enjoying lightly-trafficked roads as I drive my Clarity to a local state park for fresh air and exercise (while adhering to social distancing of course). Today I started up my Generac portable generator to ensure its reliability if needed. That made me wonder if anyone has ever tried to charge their Clarity from a generator. Mine is rated at 8000 watts and actually has a 240V outlet along with the 110 outlets. With gas at around $2.20/g here in CT it may make economic sense, but I don't know how much gas the genererator would use. Any thoughts or experience?

·
Registered
419 Posts
You're better off running the Clarity's ICE. Generators tend to be very inefficient when compared to a car's gas engine.

Also, most portable generators don't generate a clean enough signal for the on-board charger to handle.

Reactions: TomL

·
Registered
174 Posts
A fit EV owner did some Ice Racing and used a generator to charge:

While it is possible to charge from a stand alone generator, it is almost certainly more efficient to use the engine in your PHEV (CT didn't have the BEV available so you almost certainly do not have the Clarity Electric). It will also produce much less pollution than your generator (you seem to appreciate fresh air).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting, and good points Gary. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should, lol!

·
Registered
419 Posts
A fit EV owner did some Ice Racing and used a generator to charge:

While it is possible to charge from a stand alone generator, it is almost certainly more efficient to use the engine in your PHEV (CT didn't have the BEV available so you almost certainly do not have the Clarity Electric). It will also produce much less pollution than your generator (you seem to appreciate fresh air).
Now this is a good use for a generator. The Fit EV doesn't have much range and has no gas backup.

·
Registered
104 Posts
While I haven't tried it yet, I do wonder if a standard generator would supply smooth sine wave power that wouldn't upset the charging on a Clarity. My 7500 watt Champion generator makes my UPS batteries in the house go crazy.

I also have some smaller inverter generators but they only output 2000 watts.

Gas here is down to .99 cents a gallon, so running generators wouldn't cost much (but the noise would annoy the heck out of the neighbors).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts