Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2021 Clarity is by far the newest vehicle I've owned. My previous three were from '08 (still in the family, now my wife's car, a Mazda CX-7), '94 (Dodge Shadow 3-door), and '94 (Plymouth Voyager LX), and all had (or had aftermarket-installed) CD players. As such, I'm dismayed by the fact that new cars don't have CD players, seeing as how I own over 500 CDs and now don't have a way to play them on the road!

So I know this isn't really a Clarity-specific problem, but I was just wondering what everyone was using for a high-storage, compact music unit for storing gigs upon gigs of music ripped from CDs. Sure, I could get Spotify or some such service, and I know that smart phones can store some music, but I'd rather have a dedicated unit I could keep in the console that has CD-quality music ripped to it.

My last MP3 player was a 32MB Rio from 1999, so I'm not really up on this stuff. I know Neil Young was hawking that Pono thing for a while, but that seems to have been an over-priced flop.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I've ripped all my CDs to my PC. From there I've copied them to my Android Phone and use the free VLC player. My phone connects to the Bluetooth in both my cars (depending on which one I'm in) and I play my collection from there.

This has the side benefit of ensuring I don't leave my CDs in the car where they can be heat damaged.

As for the phone, take a look at the Motorola G series phones. Reasonably priced, well built, and support up to a 512 GB micro SD card, which is where I store my music on the phone.

Reactions: MBossK4891

·
Registered
159 Posts
I ripped my collection (~40G) to a couple of low-profile USB sticks, using a high bit-rate that's near CD-quality (320kbps). In the relatively noisy environment of a car, I find it more than adequate. They just barely fit into the covered sockets in the console, and the infotainment controls are more than adequate for my needs. The CDs are in a box in my garage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I ripped my collection (~40G) to a couple of low-profile USB sticks, using a high bit-rate that's near CD-quality (320kbps). In the relatively noisy environment of a car, I find it more than adequate. They just barely fit into the covered sockets in the console, and the infotainment controls are more than adequate for my needs. The CDs are in a box in my garage.
Me too although mine are about 16GB. One 32 GB stick is way more that large enough for the whole collection.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have close to 100GB of music on my phone. While I was using the Google Music player it was larger because I had to convert all my WMA files to MP3, thus creating multiple instances of the album art. VLC handles just about every media format ever developed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Need to watch out for temperature and humidity. Storing in the house would probably be better.
I have a temperature controlled roof vent in there. There's no escaping the humidity, though. I live walking distance from the beach.

I've got the whole collection ripped at 320kbps, and stored in different locations (one off site). With my elder ears, pristine sound is less of a necessity. My high end starts falling off at about 12kHz. Higher than that is where sampling artifacts tend to make themselves known. I'm not sure I could even hear the artifacts of 128kHz sampling any more, which I remember sounded terrible. I'm paying the costs of enjoying live music in small venues, and many hours of high volumes on headphones. I like(d) hearing the subtle nuances, only heard at higher volumes. Oh well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have over 95 gig of mp3 files on a SD card on my Android phone. I am using Musicolet on the phone to play these files because it is compatible with Android Auto. Not all of that app's features are implemented on Android Auto but it still works pretty well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts