Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway to keep the car from going into park when the driver side door is opened? There are times when I need to open the door when parking.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That describes the auto door lock. What I ran into was while performing precision parking to create as much space as possible on my driveway for Trick-or-Treaters to walk up and down I needed to open the drivers door to verify where the tires were located relative to the edge of the driveway. The car went into Park. Engaging the parking pawl while the car is moving is a guaranteed way to break the car. I want to turn this nanny garbage off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It happens because you don't have your seat belt on. Try it with your seat belt on, it allows you to open the door.
My guess is it does this to prevent you exiting the car while in drive or reverse.
It goes in park at slow speed, it should not damage anything. Try putting it in park yourself while you drive, you can only do it at very low speed

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It happens because you don't have your seat belt on. Try it with your seat belt on, it allows you to open the door.
My guess is does this to prevent you exiting the car while in park or reverse.
It goes in park at slow speed, it should not damage anything. Try putting it in park yourself while you drive, you can only do it at very low speed
I'll give the seatbelt trick a try. I didn't have the seatbelt on since I was moving the car sideways about 6 inches and forward three feet or so.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My guess is it does this to prevent you exiting the car while in drive or reverse.
I tried this this evening. It worked. Thank you.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I found another way to do this. The door open/closed sensor is on the B pillar above the GVWR placard. It's easy enough to hold it down while keeping the door open so you can look down at the ground.

·
Super Moderator
471 Posts
This safety feature is necessary for those that jump out of the car without putting the car in park.

I remember awhile back in the news of a woman who forgot to put the car in park, opened the door, undid the seatbelt and stepped out.
The car which was still in gear, crashed into the garage.

She claimed because the car had no engine noise, it was off.

Turned out it was a EV.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This safety feature is necessary for those that jump out of the car without putting the car in park.

I remember awhile back in the news of a woman who forgot to put the car in park, opened the door, undid the seatbelt and stepped out.
The car which was still in gear, crashed into the garage.

She claimed because the car had no engine noise, it was off.

Turned out it was a EV.
Proof that in the contest between artificial intelligence and natural stupidity, the natural stupidity will always win.

Reactions: Kerbe

·
Registered
701 Posts
I sometimes angle the side mirrors down to watch for the curb, but then it's a hassle to align them again afterwards. It's too bad the mirrors aren't included in the seat memory like many other cars then it would be really easy to get them right back to where they were.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I roll down the window and lean my head out. May not work as well for shorter drivers.
It also doesn't work when you're trying to put the tires right at the edge of the pavement.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I learned to align the front left wheel with the guide track at the local car wash and then memorized where, sighting down the hood, I needed my view of the track to be for future reference. Maybe that trick would work for hitting the edge of the driveway every time?

·
Registered
51 Posts
It also doesn't work when you're trying to put the tires right at the edge of the pavement.
Could you elaborate? When I roll the window down and lean my head out, I can see the entire left side of the car including both tires down to the pavement as well as the pavement itself. I do this all the time when parking tight on the left side in any of my vehicles. For me personally, opening the driver's door is worse because the door obstructs my view of the front left wheel. Not sure what I am missing.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm not able to stick my head out far enough while still controlling the car. The door open allows me to glance straight down from the seat while still keeping an eye on what's in front of me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 90 year old mother was driving her '91 Dodge at the bank auto teller. She dropped a check to the pavement trying to put it in the drawer. She pulled forward a little, opened the door and reaching down fell halfway out of the car and bumped the shift lever into reverse. Fortunately, the open car door caught on the extended drawer and stopped the car preventing tragedy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My 90 year old mother was driving her '91 Dodge at the bank auto teller. She dropped a check to the pavement trying to put it in the drawer. She pulled forward a little, opened the door and reaching down fell halfway out of the car and bumped the shift lever into reverse. Fortunately, the open car door caught on the extended drawer and stopped the car preventing tragedy.
Poor cognition……might be time to hang up that drivers license….for the rest of our sakes!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts