Honda Clarity Forum banner
61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
548 Posts
Just a quick update. Battery arrived early, installed, got the car back. So far so good. Glad Honda is stepping up in getting these fixed. Can’t be cheap swapping out the entire traction battery when the problem is with some kind of controller that handles the charging of the 12volt.

I wanted to buy the old traction battery for the batteries, but the service center wouldn’t sell it to me. A lot of diy videos on turning Prius batteries into house backups.
Are those Prius batteries you referred to Lithiums? Lithiums come in the Prius plug-in. The others use NiMH, iirc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No alternator, at least not in the traditional sense. There is however a second electric motor (different than the electric motor that drives the wheels). This second electric motor is always connected to the engine and acts as either a starter (obviously to start the engine) or as a generator powered by the engine. However it is not generating 12V current like a standard alternator does, it is generating high voltage current to either power the car or charge the HV battery. It seems highly unlikely this motor is the problem in your case. Seems like the DC-DC converter would be more likely. Or who knows something else completely. But either way at a minimum it should be covered under the 5 yr/ 60,000 mile powertrain warranty. Although if it's the DC-DC converter that might be included in the 8-10 yr / 100-150K battery warranty since in Baldazzer's case they wound up replacing the entire HV battery because of a defective DC-DC converter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question--what is the 8-10 yr / 100-150K battery warranty?
I have 2018 with 102,000. Pretty much the same problem as above---only dealer ( and Honda ) is saying no warranty.
I went thru this a few years ago with my 2014 Accorc plugin but that was under warranty.

Freddie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just curious, do you guys know what's the CCA rating of the stock battery that came with the car? Mine says 310A but isn't that a bit too low? My car is intermittently showing LKAS ACC problem which I suspect it's the 12V battery getting low on juice. The problem is kind of sort of fixed when you drive for a bit and then turn the car off and on again but I don't know if its time to replace the battery or not. I've been trying to drive on HV mode as much as I can to hopefully charge the 12V battery. When I had my battery checked at AutoZone, they say the battery is still at 100% though.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts