Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
598 Posts
Dropped car off at local Honda dealer yesterday. Problem has been diagnosed as a bad HV battery assembly and requires replacement of the entire assembly, which costs over $6k I was told. Thankfully, it is covered under the 8 year battery warranty. Now we just have to wait for it to arrive...
Woohoo! You won the battery lottery!

Be sure to ask for documentation of any warranty on the new assembly, and insist that the batteries be new, and not refurbished.

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
598 Posts
After the crap I had to through with Chrysler hybrid techs, it’s good to see the ones at Honda are better trained. Same as Baldazzer, needs a new battery and there’s a minimum 2 week wait to truck it to the east coast.
Let's hope that it hits the road before the anti-vax trucker convoy, and all the looniness that will bring.

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
598 Posts
Anytime a 12 volt battery is located inside the vehicle, it is gel cell battery not a wet cell battery. A gel cell battery requires a special charger, as the charge is going thru a gel and in order for the battery to charge, the charge has to be more of a trickle charge. You cannot use jumper cables or a regular battery charger as doing so will ruin the gel cell battery.
Your hybrid battery pack is not gel, it is a dry cell. The hybrid battery pack also requires a special charger for charging.

You are not to put a wet cell battery inside a vehicle. If there is a vehicle accident or if the battery were to leak fluid for any reason, the fluid could potentially do a lot of harm to those inside the vehicle.

A good automotive book to read is "A Guide To Vehicle Diagnostics" written by Cascanet and Schnell.
The vast majority of automotive 12V batteries, that are located in the vehicle (either under the hood, or in the trunk), are of the wet-cell type. Lead-acid (PbA), to be more precise. Some are of the AGM type of PbA. I've yet to encounter a gel-cell automotive battery in 50 years of driving.

·
Registered
2021 PHEV Touring HB, CA
598 Posts
Just a quick update. Battery arrived early, installed, got the car back. So far so good. Glad Honda is stepping up in getting these fixed. Can’t be cheap swapping out the entire traction battery when the problem is with some kind of controller that handles the charging of the 12volt.

I wanted to buy the old traction battery for the batteries, but the service center wouldn’t sell it to me. A lot of diy videos on turning Prius batteries into house backups.
Are those Prius batteries you referred to Lithiums? Lithiums come in the Prius plug-in. The others use NiMH, iirc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts