Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, just noticed an ad for a Clarity specific trailer hitch. I know it's not recommended in the owner's manual but I was wondering if anyone out there had any experience or knowledge relative to towing a small camping trailer. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi All, just noticed an ad for a Clarity specific trailer hitch. I know it's not recommended in the owner's manual but I was wondering if anyone out there had any experience or knowledge relative to towing a small camping trailer. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
I've not towed with my 2" Ecohitch, but I wouldn't try with anything above half of it's stated capacity. That's been my personal spec-to-usage limitation my whole life. (I'm a very cautious EE.) For the Ecohitch, half would be 150 lb tongue weight and 1500 lb towed. I don't exceed the 150# tongue weight for my e-bike and rack, either, but it comes close.

I didn't install a trailer light kit on my '21 Clarity PHEV Touring, but I did on my '21 Bolt Premier. I've looked at tiny travel trailers, but requiring an internal commode is very choice-limiting.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've not towed with my 2" Ecohitch, but I wouldn't try with anything above half of it's stated capacity. That's been my personal spec-to-usage limitation my whole life. (I'm a very cautious EE.) For the Ecohitch, half would be 150 lb tongue weight and 1500 lb towed. I don't exceed the 150# tongue weight for my e-bike and rack, either, but it comes close.

I didn't install a trailer light kit on my '21 Clarity PHEV Touring, but I did on my '21 Bolt Premier. I've looked at tiny travel trailers, but requiring an internal commode is very choice-limiting.
Thanks for your thoughts EV Nerd and what you recommend sounds very reasonable to me. I've been thinking of looking for a small folding camp trailer and will keep that in mind.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts EV Nerd and what you recommend sounds very reasonable to me. I've been thinking of looking for a small folding camp trailer and will keep that in mind.
I've rented pop-up tent trailers in the past, and would expect no problems towing one of those with our Bolt. I'd have to add a trailer light kit to our Clarity PHEV, but expect it would be OK, too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No personal experience towing with my Clarity but I've seen a Prius towing a very light tent camper and Clarity is a more substantial car. There are tent campers on the market under 1,000 lbs. I've read elsewhere (might have been in a different forum) of Clarity owners towing very light tent campers. Obviously battery range will be very short so you will be running HV and stopping for gas pretty regularly if you are covering a lot of miles. Clarity's small gas engine may not have the horsepower to maintain highway speed towing on a long uphill grade. Good news is regen braking should be very effective on the downhill side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts