Honda Clarity Forum banner

CA extended warranties and pzev coverages

6K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  EV Nerd 
#1 ·
Hello! I’m about to buy and trying to figure out whether to get an extended warranty. It will be a CA vehicle. I know that the PZEV warranty covers some stuff a lot longer than factory warranty, but not being much of a car guy I can’t really tell if it covers most of the stuff I should be concerned with. Just looking for guidance on whether an extended warranty from Honda is worth it, or if the extra CA stuff makes that unnecessary. Thanks!

#2 ·
There are different opinions whether extended warranty is worth it, but the important thing to know is that you can buy extended warranty later after purchase, so there is no need to rush into it. Dealers usually mark up extended warranty quite a bit, knowing that most people haven't shopped prices ahead of time. Also the one you want is Honda Care which is administered through Honda, which makes it a lot easier to get reimbursed. When you take your car in for repair the dealer will see that your car has Honda Care when they enter your VIN number into their system, if the repair is covered the dealer will process it through Honda . Some dealers sell third party warranties, with those you have to pay for the repair out of pocket then go through various hoops trying to get reimbursed from the warranty company.

There are a couple of Honda dealers that I know of that sell Honda Care online at a price that is much more competitive than a dealer will usually charge. Although some people have said that when they told the dealer the price quote that they got online the dealer matched it. The most popular online company seems to be Hyannis Honda, however they don't sell in California. For California it seems that people are using Saccucci. Do a Google search for Saccuccii Honda Care and you will get to their site. You enter the details about your vehicle then they will email you a quote.

You didn't say if you are going to buy the used 2018 that you were looking at or a new Clarity. You can purchase Honda Care only while the original factory 36 months/36,000 mile warranty is still in effect. Most 2018's were originally sold in 2018 or 2019 which means the 36/36,000 warranty will expire either this year or next year. So if buying a used Clarity you need to ask the dealer (or any Honda dealer) to tell you when the factory warranty expires, which they can do by looking up the VIN number. You then would purchase Honda Care shortly before the factory warranty expires. On the other hand if buying a new Clarity you can purchase Honda Care any time within the first 6,000 miles, and it will automatically take effect when the factory warranty expires. After 6,000 miles you can still purchase Honda Care, but you would want to wait until the 36/36,000 warranty is about to expire, because if you purchase after 6,000 miles the extended warranty takes effect immediately which means you would have double coverage and it would reduce the length of the extended warranty.

There is a little more to it than this but that's the general idea, the people at Saccucci will answer all of your questions about what your options are after you give them the information about the vehicle that you are looking at buying.

#3 ·
Agree with @2002

If you plan on keeping the car, say past 5 year, then finding an extended warranty would be a great idea.

The battery has a 10 year warranty which is nice as that's expensive.

For the first 3 years, I did purchase a Honda Sentinel tire and oil change warranty at the time of lease.
The warranty was fully negotiable at the dealer (I paid $430 instead of $999).
Recently, I blew a tire which was replaced with a new tire and had 3 oil changes so adding up the costs, the $430 paid for itself.

At the end of this year, the warranty and lease expires.

I will be buying out the lease and keeping her for at least 10 years because I just love the car!
It's very rare that I buy out a lease as most cars I leased (BMW, Land Rover, Mercedes) didn't pan out in reliability and costs to keep them in running condition....
Honda has me thinking differently - most reliable car so far and least cost to keep them...

As for extending the warranty, I may look into tire warranty and oil pre paid if one exists after 3 years.

I have a trusty honest mechanic who will keep her running for the duration..

#4 ·
Yes, I bought an extended warranty from Sean at Hyannis Honda. 8 years 120,000 miles. In reality it is a 5 year 84,000 warranty that kicks in after 3 years or 36,000 miles. In Utah the fed warranty is only 3 years/36,000 miles. Since the Hondacare warranty covers more than just the hybrid components I was keen to get it.

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks. It's confusing on the Honda website which is where I was looking because they only clearly say that 10 yr / 150,000 is available for the battery depending on the state. On the hybrid system components they use the word "minimum", which I guess implies the same thing but that's hardly clear.

Azure Rectangle Material property Font Circle

#14 ·
On the whole "PZEV" thing...from a mathematics perspective, what's a "partial zero"?

Any time I try to multiply zero by a number greater than zero, but less than one (hence "partial"), I get....drum roll...ZERO!

Whoever came up with the term Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle is an idiot.

/rant

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.