Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm new to the forum. Me and my wife have been doing a lot of driving lately and decided it was time to invest in a hybrid vehicle. We test drove a couple of cars and ultimately fell in love with the Clarity. We'd like to buy new but our current budget can only afford a used one. What are some issues to look out for and is there any difference from year to year models. One of the issue we've read about was random loss of power and engine high rev. It seems like it's only affecting the early but we're not completely sure about that. We were looking at a 2019 model and a little worried that it may have a similar issue since it's an early model.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello I'm new to the forum. Me and my wife have been doing a lot of driving lately and decided it was time to invest in a hybrid vehicle. We test drove a couple of cars and ultimately fell in love with the Clarity. We'd like to buy new but our current budget can only afford a used one. What are some issues to look out for and is there any difference from year to year models. One of the issue we've read about was random loss of power and engine high rev. It seems like it's only affecting the early but we're not completely sure about that. We were looking at a 2019 model and a little worried that it may have a similar issue since it's an early model.
Ive never heard of any of the problems you’ve heard of regarding the clarity. Possibly the high rev thing you speak of is the infamous “angry bees”. That is not a defect, is normal, and 100% mismanagement by the driver…lol. I’ve heard it twice. Both times after it was in for service, and was never charged.

Again, all things being equal, the clarity is a pleasure to drive, and to own. I’d not be concerned at all.

G’luck!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Don't forget that a new one will have federal ($7.5k) and maybe state and local purchase incentives. (CA has an additional $1k.) With the prices of used cars right now, you might be able to get into a new one for not a lot more than used.

Do note that you'll need to have a federal tax liability for the year of over $7500 to get the most benefit from the credit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Don't forget that a new one will have federal ($7.5k) and maybe state and local purchase incentives. (CA has an additional $1k.) With the prices of used cars right now, you might be able to get into a new one for not a lot more than used.

Do note that you'll need to have a federal tax liability for the year of over $7500 to get the most benefit from the credit.
I agree. Just seems the only non white Clarities are in CA. There are 4 base models within 10 miles of me. All white. White, is not the Clarity’s best color, imho!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the feedbacks. Thanks. Now trying to decide whether it's worth the extra money for a Touring model. Both of our current cars have built in navi and it's been very helping when we have no cell reception.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I appreciate the feedbacks. Thanks. Now trying to decide whether it's worth the extra money for a Touring model. Both of our current cars have built in navi and it's been very helping when we have no cell reception.
Generally I’d say unless you HAD to have leather,no. However, if you’re a tall person, you definitely want a touring, as the base models seat are nowhere near as adjustable. I’m 6’3 and I can’t sit in a base, because my head hits the doorframe, and the ceiling. In a touring, no issues. The OEM nav is junk….as is most OEM, and certainly all Honda nav.

·
Super Moderator
471 Posts
We have a base 2018 and use Apple CarPlay with navigation.

Works better than the onboard GPS of my other cars.

No issues with it at 30,000 miles on the odo.

With this year being the last year for the Clarity, I'd get a new one with the federal incentives attached.

·
Registered
158 Posts
This household wholeheartedly recommends the Touring model. The wife and I are twelve inches different in height. The automatically adjusted electric seats (the fobs are distinctive) is a huge benefit. Open the door and "bzzzt, bzzzt" goes the seat as it adjusts itself to the driver. Also, not having to hook up (and often fight with) CarPlay or Android Auto for navigation is a big plus, too, especially for the "technologically challenged".

·
Registered
45 Posts
We’ve had both the base and Touring. To me the seats feel about the same comfort wise so the biggest benefit is the memory settings for two drivers otherwise (slow) electric seats don’t appeal to us.

We’ve also had both color interiors and both of us prefer the beige.

Reliability wise the car is solid. Get a rock shield (search Clarity shield) for the bottom opening to help protect the expensive a/c condenser; otherwise Honda extended the warranty on those so you’re protected from defects (but not wear/tear which is what a rock ding is).

Get 3D max-pider floor mats (trust me) and an infotainment screen protector for less finger prints.

Make sure you get the OEM charge cable. The Honda unit is a good one if a little short.

One of the issue we've read about was random loss of power and engine high rev.
It’s not random and is repeatable. Basically don’t let the EV miles reach zero when driving in high power situations (climbing steep grades for long periods of time). In these scenarios, the car wants to use a lot of battery supply to supplement the gasoline generator which can’t keep up and thus runs at a very high RPM.

The solution is to switch to HV+ mode to keep at least 10-15 miles of EV (more the better) so the battery is never empty and ready to handle those situations. This is what I do on a trip on unfamiliar roads. On a daily basis, we NEVER have to do this. Just when we go to the mountains.

YMMV

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree. Our dealer had to embark on a week-long hunt for a Touring that wasn't black exterior and black interior. Finally found a red-beige that fortunately was our first choice. We've got the benefit of being in CA, where the most Claritys seem to be hiding.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I bought mine in southern California because that's where they are. My local dealer had never had one on their lot, and their sales staff didn't even know they made the model. I like the GPS that comes in the touring model mostly because we have significant areas with lousy cell reception. The five year free GPS updates is a plus, although it looks like the current map version is over 2 years old.

·
Registered
91 Posts
We’ve had both the base and Touring. To me the seats feel about the same comfort wise so the biggest benefit is the memory settings for two drivers otherwise (slow) electric seats don’t appeal to us.

We’ve also had both color interiors and both of us prefer the beige.

Reliability wise the car is solid. Get a rock shield (search Clarity shield) for the bottom opening to help protect the expensive a/c condenser; otherwise Honda extended the warranty on those so you’re protected from defects (but not wear/tear which is what a rock ding is).

Get 3D max-pider floor mats (trust me) and an infotainment screen protector for less finger prints.

Make sure you get the OEM charge cable. The Honda unit is a good one if a little short.

It’s not random and is repeatable. Basically don’t let the EV miles reach zero when driving in high power situations (climbing steep grades for long periods of time). In these scenarios, the car wants to use a lot of battery supply to supplement the gasoline generator which can’t keep up and thus runs at a very high RPM.

The solution is to switch to HV+ mode to keep at least 10-15 miles of EV (more the better) so the battery is never empty and ready to handle those situations. This is what I do on a trip on unfamiliar roads. On a daily basis, we NEVER have to do this. Just when we go to the mountains.

YMMV
Where can you get the rock shield? I did a search and got nothing but plexiglass dividers.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I also just started the purchase process. He'll need to make more soon, as I suspect he's going to have a run on them rather quickly. It shouldn't be too bad though, as the activity on this forum is a bit sparse (written with great disappointment).

·
Registered
91 Posts
I also just started the purchase process. He'll need to make more soon, as I suspect he's going to have a run on them rather quickly. It shouldn't be too bad though, as the activity on this forum is a bit sparse (written with great disappointment).
Last night I got on my knees with a flashlight and looked in the vent. The way the vent is shaped, if a rock or other debris get in there it only has one way to go, and that's into the cooling fins.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Last night I got on my knees with a flashlight and looked in the vent. The way the vent is shaped, if a rock or other debris get in there it only has one way to go, and that's into the cooling fins.
Good to know. I just ordered a screen. Steve is doing another "production run", but as a small business, that could mean just about anything. I should get mine in about a week.

Edit to add: Seems like really cheap and easy insurance.

·
Registered
697 Posts
There is still some concern about the unprotected opening on the far left side of the bumper which provides air to the battery radiator. Voltshop doesn't provide anything for this opening, most likely because there are no attachment points. I read where one person fashioned their own screen but they had to drill a couple of holes inside the opening to create attachment points. But the holes would be nearly invisible to someone looking at the car so probably isn't a big deal.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts