Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife and I are loving our new car. Just yesterday hit 1000 miles and today we did our first gas fill-up of $14 dollars (about 4 gallons)! Wow, that would have cost about $130 in my 2010 Odyessy. Of course, we don't yet know what the Level 2* charging is costing us I've read Miles per KWH is about half the cost of gas. If anyone using JCPL in NJ perhaps you know.

* upgraded to Level 2 this week

One self-inflicted incident; left my wife in the car for about 40 minutes in "on" mode with DRL, heater and radio on. We I got, start failed; fortunately, after waiting about 2 minutes with everything off, it started; (went to "Ready" mode). Thanks to other posts, I now know that if you will be draining the 12v battery for more then 5-10 minutes, it's best to leave the car in "Ready" mode - equivalent to "run".

P.S I've been following this board since last November and "your" posts were a major factor in helping me decide on the Clarity.

Jim
Central Jersey

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome aboard !

Do post a photo of your new Clarity!
Welcome aboard !

Do post a photo of your new Clarity!
Car Wheel Vehicle Window Vehicle registration plate
We've since had factory side molding installed in an attempt to avoid parking lot dings.

This photo was taken a day or two after purchase. It stayed in our garage for another 10 days during a series of snow storms while I read the manual and navigated the screen. Now it's our primary transportation using our 2010 Odyssey for dirty and large cargo work;) With our new Level2 charger we can go 48+ miles in the morning and again in the afternoon-evening.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My wife and I loving our new car. Just yesterday hit 1000 miles and today we did our first gas fill-up of $14 dollars (about 4 gallons)! Wow, that would have cost about $130 in my 2010 Odyessy. Of course, we don't yet know what the Level 2* charging is costing us I've read Miles per KWH is about half the cost of gas. If anyone using JCPL in NJ perhaps you know.

* upgraded to Level 2 this week

On self-inflicted incident; leave my wife in the car for about 40 minutes in "on" mode with DRL, heater and radio on. We I got, start failed; fortunately, after waiting about 2 minutes ith everything off, it started. Thanks to other posts, I now know that if you will be draining for more then 5-10 minutes, it's best to leave the car in "Ready" mode - equivalent to "run".

P.S I've been following this board since last November and "your" posts were a major factor in helping me decide on the Clarity.

Jim
Central Jersey
@JimO, welcome to the pantheon of happy car owners. Your delight in savings on gasoline was mine as well for the past two years. Even though I traded my gas-sipping 2017 Accord Hybrid, my monthly gasoline savings has been $150-200 on average after deducting home charging costs. Gasoline cost savings is difficult to pin down because so many variables affect the calculation, most notably the cost of gasoline and local electricity rates. Though gasoline has been much cheaper here in Wisconsin over the past two years compared to my time with the Accord, I still managed to save over $1500 a year along with no tailpipe emissions. My son will save a lot more as he is about to buy his first EV in Minnesota and XCEL energy has a plan for off peak EV charging at the remarkably low rate of $.04/kWh, about one-third what I pay in Wisconsin. I hope you reap a similar benefit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@JimO, welcome to the pantheon of happy car owners. Your delight in savings on gasoline was mine as well for the past two years. Even though I traded my gas-sipping 2017 Accord Hybrid, my monthly gasoline savings has been $150-200 on average after deducting home charging costs. Gasoline cost savings is difficult to pin down because so many variables affect the calculation, most notably the cost of gasoline and local electricity rates. Though gasoline has been much cheaper here in Wisconsin over the past two years compared to my time with the Accord, I still managed to save over $1500 a year along with no tailpipe emissions. My son will save a lot more as he is about to buy his first EV in Minnesota and XCEL energy has a plan for off peak EV charging at the remarkably low rate of $.04/kWh, about one-third what I pay in Wisconsin. I hope you reap a similar benefit.
Tom,
I just learned that we are paying $.08395/kwh here in central jersey under JCPL as part of my twp's 12% saving using their "Energy Aggegation Program". So based on your son's Minnesota rate, NJ is double. - oh well. Also, there is apparently no "off peak" savings rate here. Frankly, even if the costs were the same, I love the knowledge that the Clarity is always fullly charged in the morning - no gas station side trips.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes, here in So. Utah we are on tiered pricing. 8.5 cents for the first 800 kWh then 12 cents thereafter. I have enough solar on my roof to cover my house and all but 100 kwh per month so I have no worries. My old Prius Prime was rated at 4 mile per kWh and we never exceeded our production. That said, my 2021 gets about 3 miles per kWh. at that rate the 50 mile range is about $1.41 for 50 miles. In easier terms, this cost is slightly less than three 9mm rounds at my local indoor shooting range! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts