Honda Clarity Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I bought my lovely white Clarity in Feb 2021. I'm about to embark on my first long(ish) drive from San Francisco Bay area to Southern Cal (about 400 miles). I've watched all the videos about the 3 modes. Clearly I won't be using ECON, and most people discuss travel in HV, but 1 click or 2? And when is it best to use Sport mode?

·
Registered
406 Posts
ECON is a modifier to EV, HV, and HV Charge modes. It reduces the blower speed and A/C cooling as well as really slowing down acceleration. For Sport mode, use it on two lane roads - turn it on when you're going to pass to get decent acceleration during the pass. Turn if off when you're done accelerating. The other thing I've learned is on divided highways keep the ACC set to the shortest following distance to avoid sudden braking when someone pulls in front of you. Put it on the longest distance on two lane roads to help you see around the car in front of you.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Regarding HV, the most popular method on trips seems to be:

- Start off the trip with a fully charged battery (obviously)

- Drive HV the whole trip, except when you are driving on surface streets and you prefer to drive in EV for those sections

- Any time you are starting out after stopping (gas stop, meal stop, rest area, etc) you have to remember to press the HV button before getting back onto the freeway otherwise you will be in EV mode and before you know it you will have used up all of your EV miles. It's very easy to forget, if that happens use HV Charge to build EV range back up as far as it will go (just over 50%). You also may need to use HV Charge on the way home if you use up all of your EV miles doing a lot of surface street driving in L.A. And even if you are diligent about using HV, your EV miles will still slowly decrease during the trip, whenever it drops below 50% use HV Charge to build it back up again.

- When going up steep grades, if the engine noise gets to be annoying, go ahead and switch to EV. It will burn up your EV miles pretty quickly but once you make it to the summit then you will regain a lot of it back during the downhill section.

- Some people try and charge at free chargers or at their hotel or wherever. My opinion is that when I am on vacation it's not worth spending any amount of time just to save the equivalent of a gallon of gas, which is about all a full charge will save you. After all we bought our PHEV's so that we don't have to charge on trips we can just quickly fill up with gas.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sport mode+4 left paddles=FTW. 24/7.

Yes, use HV or HV+ on the road (you will anyways after 40ish hwy miles if you don’t or forget to switch at start up). Use up a few EV miles getting to the highway and switch over then. If you forget and drain the battery (you’ll forget eventually), use HV+ to get some miles back in the battery as a reserve for high power situations (long hills @ hwy speeds). HV+ on level roads/even throttle results in the lowest generator RPM and best fuel economy.

SF-LA means plenty of places to stop and refuel but it should be noted that in edge cases one can drain the gas tank dry and still drive on the remainder of EV miles to a gas station. BTDT

Amazing vehicle. Have fun!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve found that EV works best around town everyday and below 45 mph and switching to HV when on higher speed roads 55 and above for few miles than back to EV around towns. HV only on long Interstate Highways and longer trips. HV + when batteries get below about 40 percent.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Totally agree. Just drove yesterday about 300 miles. I too forgot to switch back to hv after getting gas - easy to do. Also, I’ve observed that my ev gauge will still read 2 bars when the meter states that the battery has 0 miles remaining. This is comforting knowing that aClarity owner is extremely unlikely to be stranded even after running out of gas. It‘s like the old version beetle with the emergency tank. Of course we tech-savy owners would never get that low - right?
BTW: when I refilled, it took 6.5 gallons - whoops🤔

·
Registered
616 Posts
0 EV miles is around 10% SOC which is why it typically shows two bars at 0 EV miles because each bar represents 5% SOC. To be more precise it is generally in the range of 8-12% SOC. The reason for this is that at 0 EV miles the car essentially becomes a regular hybrid, so you can think of that last 10% as if it is was separate hybrid battery reserved for that purpose. Of course in reality it's all one battery, but that's how the system treats the last 10% of SOC and why it does not include it as part of EV miles.

In the same way 0 HV miles is not really empty, if I fill up at 0 HV miles it takes about 6.7 gallons. That means at 0 HV miles I have about 0.3 gallons left in the tank which is about fourteen miles.

I have been at 0-0 before, i.e. 0 EV miles and 0 HV miles, at which point I probably had around five miles of EV left on the battery and around twelve miles of HV for a total of about nineteen miles of driving before I would have been truly stranded. I was only a few blocks away from a gas station at the time and that's where I went, even though I'm sure I could have gone quite a bit farther I had no desire to prove out my estimates.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I confess, that I have had a history of running on empty. One time I literally coasted into gas pump 30 seconds “after” the engine died. I don’t think I would go empty again but as I said, nice to know there is likeLy a few miLes Left on ev👍

1 - 8 of 8 Posts