Honda Clarity Forum banner

Best EV range estimate?

3331 Views 27 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  HondaPhile22
Upon starting up the Clarity this morning after an overnight charge, I got this impressive EV range estimate. Lately I've been using little HVAC (not yet really hot outside but no longer cold) and have been mostly puttering around town, except for short bursts on the highway (2-3 miles) to my son's daycare.

Has anyone seen estimates higher than this, perhaps cracking 70?

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: 1
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Upon starting up the Clarity this morning after an overnight charge, I got this impressive EV range estimate. Lately I've been using little HVAC (not yet really hot outside but no longer cold) and have been mostly puttering around town, except for short bursts on the highway (2-3 miles) to my son's daycare.

Yep. Last spring I saw a 78 mile range. So far this year the highest I’ve seen is 70. My wife is driving the car more now and she doesn’t have the patience/understanding to drive it in a highly efficient way so maybe my days of seeing 70+ range are over. But I can tell you that if you drive judiciously you can get over 60 miles on a charge if you’re driving around town and not using AC.
Speedometer Odometer Gauge Trip computer Personal luxury car
See less See more
Reactions: 2
Interesting topic. I recently have been monitoring the range display pictured and have found that if you fully charge the car to the max you are best off to not use HV / the engine until you get down to about 4 bars which on my car is about 42 miles for maximum efficiency. And if you try to charge the battery with the engine it will not work until about half of the bars are gone which was about 31 miles EV range and will charge back to about 37 miles. So if I have a full charge I use it until about 4 or 5 bars are gone then when on freeway or hwy turn on HV to maintain the battery since the car likes to have some battery rather than depleting it completely. Anyone else have this same experience?
Interesting topic. I recently have been monitoring the range display pictured and have found that if you fully charge the car to the max you are best off to not use HV / the engine until you get down to about 4 bars which on my car is about 42 miles for maximum efficiency. And if you try to charge the battery with the engine it will not work until about half of the bars are gone which was about 31 miles EV range and will charge back to about 37 miles. So if I have a full charge I use it until about 4 or 5 bars are gone then when on freeway or hwy turn on HV to maintain the battery since the car likes to have some battery rather than depleting it completely. Anyone else have this same experience?
According to the owners manual (Pg. 17 in the 2021 manual), HV+ will charge the battery to about 60% of its maximum capacity (12 bars), and then drop back to HV. It's designed to work that way. Don't depend on the GOM to give you very consistent results on remaining charge in the battery. The SOC bars are a much better indication of battery SOC.

There's a good reason it's called a "Guess-o-Meter".
Agreed on the HV+ charging. When I charge my car to maximum EV, I don't use the motor/HV mode until I am down to about 60%/12 bars. I use HV mostly on freeways when I hit the 60% and EV around town so the ICE keeps the battery up to the 60% on the freeway for the most part. I believe this is the most efficient way to run this car since the battery will run down to about 60% even though the ICE is running.
78 is impressive. I think I hit 60 once on the guess-o-meter. My question is does that really correspond to better mileage on that charge or is it just a guess based on past driving habits.
78 is impressive. I think I hit 60 once on the guess-o-meter. My question is does that really correspond to better mileage on that charge or is it just a guess based on past driving habits.
The answers is yes, it does really correspond to better mileage and yes, it is just a guess based upon past driving habits. But I can tell you that it’s pretty accurate if I continue to drive with the same habits that I always do and if other conditions remain the same.

So because of wind resistance I don’t suppose you could ever get 70 miles of range out of it on the freeway. And the guess-o-meter predicted correctly because I hadn’t been driving on the freeway. It also predicts a lower number after my wife is driving the car because she doesn’t drive it the same way that I do. Every time I charge it up after I have been driving it exclusively, the range goes up and every time I charge it up after she’s been driving it exclusively, the range goes down 😁.

That's amazing! I have a 2018 and at most I've gotten 43. How'd you manage that? I wonder if it has something to do with my level 2 charger. I use a AeroVironment TurboCord 240 Volt Plug-in EV Charger .
That's amazing! I have a 2018 and at most I've gotten 43. How'd you manage that? I wonder if it has something to do with my level 2 charger. I use a AeroVironment TurboCord 240 Volt Plug-in EV Charger .
It has nothing to do with your EVSE, and everything to do with how you've recently driven.

The Guess-O-Meter is notoriously unreliable as a data point on electric vehicle range capabilities. This has been a challenge in every EV I've driven, since 1997.
Speedometer Odometer Trip computer Gauge Tachometer

This is my best so far this year. My wife hasn’t driven it for awhile so I’ve had the opportunity to ‘hypermile’ it a bit.
See less See more
Here is mine from last week...

View attachment 1093
I was very confused about your HV/total range until I realized your gauge is set to km!
My first month with the 2018 Clarity Touring, I calculated an actual average of over 75mpg. Since then, I've learned to better manage the HV mode. I used to engage it whenever I got on the highway. My morning commute is 13 miles of mostly highway driving and I'd been averaging 50mpg or so. Last week, I discovered the current and previous mpg display in the Info menu in the central screen and started monitoring it.
The speed limits on Highway 75 on my commute is about evenly split between 60 and 75mph. I've learned that I can run in standard EV mode with cruise control set to 65mph in the 60 zones, and only use the HV mode in the 75mph zones (where I cruise at 80). My average mpg, as indicated by the current and previous readouts, has improved dramatically. I'm averaging over 90mpg. :)

Font Gadget Display device Electric blue Electronic device
See less See more
That's km?
That's actually not your mileage. It's your estimated range, broken down into EV (battery) and gas. BTW, you can switch everything from metric to imperial using the settings menu in the center console. I don't remember the exact steps, but it's pretty simple. And it makes using the nav map much easier (if you have the touring trim level).
To see the estimated mileage in the dash, press the little button under the volume and scroll through the screens. There are about five or six displays there, one of which is a graph showing your current estimated mileage. It looks like this...

Attachments

See less See more
That's actually not your mileage. It's your estimated range, broken down into EV (battery) and gas. BTW, you can switch everything from metric to imperial using the settings menu in the center console. I don't remember the exact steps, but it's pretty simple. And it makes using the nav map much easier (if you have the touring trim level).
To see the estimated mileage in the dash, press the little button under the volume and scroll through the screens. There are about five or six displays there, one of which is a graph showing your current estimated mileage. It looks like this...
Yeah, it’s an estimate that says that if you continue to drive like you have been driving then likely you will get this many miles out of a charge. Since I am fairly consistent in my driving habits, that range estimate tends to be very accurate in my case. The interesting thing is that it can vary greatly depending upon how you drive the car. When I drive our Clarity with a focus on conserving energy and not giving in to the driving habits of everyone around me, I can get range estimates of 75-80 miles during the warm weather months. My wife, on the other hand, isn’t really interested in seeing how many miles she can squeeze out of a charge so if she drives the car for a period of time the range estimates tend to settle in to around 60 miles or less.
Yeah, it’s an estimate that says that if you continue to drive like you have been driving then likely you will get this many miles out of a charge. Since I am fairly consistent in my driving habits, that range estimate tends to be very accurate in my case. The interesting thing is that it can vary greatly depending upon how you drive the car. When I drive our Clarity with a focus on conserving energy and not giving in to the driving habits of everyone around me, I can get range estimates of 75-80 miles during the warm weather months. My wife, on the other hand, isn’t really interested in seeing how many miles she can squeeze out of a charge so if she drives the car for a period of time the range estimates tend to settle in to around 60 miles or less.
Heh, heh. Opposite at my house. My wife was very reluctant to let me drive the '11 Leaf, because she took great pride in being among the top 5% in efficiency of Leaf drivers...worldwide. I'd invariably drop her down to close to 20%. (I enjoyed performance off the line.)

She doesn't much care any more, in her Bolt. (Probably because it has four times the range that her Leaf did.)
How many miles did you guys actually get to drive on pure battery alone with one charge?

In my case, beginning of the 100%:
Trip computer Odometer Speedometer Motor vehicle Gauge

After 2 days at 16% battery left (4 miles left, 10% is when the engine kicks in):
Speedometer Gauge Odometer Trip computer Measuring instrument

Guess-o-meter predicted 62.2 miles based on my commute during the week. Ended up at about 55 miles with Friday-Saturday driving maybe 30% highway. The bottom picture showing EV range 4.0 miles on my ODB reader shows 16% battery left. My "Trip A" is reset every time I charge. No gas was used. Temperature is pretty hot these days in Oregon.

To get the most miles, you need to travel between 20-40 miles/hr.
Light Rectangle Slope Plot Font
See less See more
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.